UNC 2020

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 9, 2019.

1. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Soccerhunter et al, the team played an intra-squad scrimmage last Sat. Was free to walk in and watch (Dorrance field). They play another this Saturday at 10 am. I figure you might like to attend. Also, Lois Joel has returned to England and won't be playing for UNC.

2. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    sorry I don't have a link. I have just heard that from multiple college coaches.

3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Division I Council made a recommendation on August 21, which the Board of Directors subsequently adopted. The following language is from the recommendation:

The Council also discussed playing and practice season issues that resulted from seasons being canceled and postponed and agreed that current legislation provides flexibility for members to apply the rules that work best for most of their student-athletes. Council members did grant a waiver to allow the same flexibility for women’s volleyball, which has different rules.

The Council will seek membership feedback and further develop the potential models for spring championships before making a final decision on playing and practice season rules for fall sports in 2020-21.
    This is cryptic, and I am sure coaches are anxious to get any playing and practice season rules that will apply to the 20-21 season. It is possible to read the first paragraph as applying to the permitted number of games and saying, essentially, that the existing rules allow schools enough flexibility to play games at the times they deem appropriate over the course of the Fall, Winter, and Spring. If that is the case, it would appear to mean that the 20 regular season game limit (does not include conference tournaments) applies regardless of when the games are played. And, it would appear to say that the non-counting game limit likewise applies. That is getting a lot out of the paragraph, however, so I continue to look for something more specific.

4. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    From what I understand, any conference playing a conference tournament this Fall, will be the AQ for the NCAA tournament in the Spring. One of my old colleagues is at an SEC school and that’s what their plan is. They are going to play a conference only schedule and will allow the winner of the conference tournament to represent the SEC in the NCAA tournament in the spring (if there is one, the NCAA has not solidified that there WILL be a tournament yet).

5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I just don’t see the NCAA doing a tournament in the spring. If they planned on actually doing the spring season then why did they give a blanket waiver for eligibility for everyone?

ping and Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  6. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    My thoughts exactly... seems fishy and they are just dragging everything along so these few schools can have football...

ping repped this.
  7. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for this info!!! You clearly have intel that most of us do not. My wife and I are long time season ticket fans (been following since 1980) but are limited to what I can find officially or on the internet as to what the schedule is etc. My wife and I will try to go down on Saturday to see what we can see. (Being 74 and my wife 79 and me with serious heart disease... demands way more than 6 feet social distancing and full time masks for sure, assuming that only a handful of fans are there and lots of space is available.)

Sorry to see that Lois Joel is also gone.

Heeligan2 and blissett repped this.
  8. FreshPow

FreshPow New Member

United States
    Jun 12, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought LA County is not allowing anyone on college campuses?

9. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Technically they aren’t “on campus”. No dorms. Most kids that. Are there are living together in off campus apartments. They go on campus for training fitness and recovery

10. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    I will say at the scrimmage last Saturday there were no more than 50 or so folks in and around the stands. Most folks wore masks and you could easily maintain a fair amount of distance from others. Now if it would just drop below 100 degrees...

11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Good point about the waiver--but why couldn't the NCAA have a spring tourney? Or why /wouldn't/ it?

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

It seems to me the ncaa has already demonstrated it will do whatever the majority of D1 schools want to do.

it’s what they did to determine whether to have a fall tournament.

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    y understanding is that as of about three weeks ago when the NCAA announced that all fall sports (except big time football) would not have championships on account of less that 50% of division conferences were willing to field teams. At that time the NCAA as much as pledged that if more than 50% of the conferences/schools were willing to field teams, then they would definitely work to set up championship tournaments in the spring of 2021 for both 2020 fall and 2021 spring sports that met that participation requirement. Has anything changed since then?

14. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #89 Soccerhunter, Sep 6, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    For UNC Fans... WIth the tip from no carters, my wife and I went to the intersquad scrimmage yesterday morning. (Great weather for soccer --clear skies and temperatures that got up to about 80 by the time the scrimmage ended.)

They played 4 15 minute quarters mixing up the sides. First quarter was the top 11 against the second 11. The more controlled and intentional play was by the first team, but the second team score the only goal. For the next three quarters lineups started to be mixed up. Keepers were seprated from their respective team, and the offenses were swapped and then defenses. There seemed to be a total of about 26 or 27 players available.

The very first thing I noticed was the huge difference that was made by the absence of Lotte Wubben-Moy. The defense simply had no one who could command the back line with authority, skill, and field vision. (I was really looking forward to the senior seasons of Lotte and Alessia Russo, but can't blame them for going home during the corona virus pandemic. Their absence is palpable.) Suffice it to say that the defenses were not very well organized and with out Alessia, the offensive punch was not as strong.

It was great to see Emily Fox back on the field after her second ACL repair. She looked great, but was pretty relaxed as compared to her usual game focus. I thought Rachel Jones looked notably stronger than last year and she had some very strong moments offensively. Maycee Bell stood out as well, but seemed to be looking for the correct role to play. On the other hand Brianna Pinto was pretty subdued for much of the morning, but sowed some of her usual spark in the last quarter. Taylot Otto had some good moments, but was not the force she usually is. I suppose that such scrimmages don't get the juices up as much as a game. Isabel Cox had an off day, and the rest of the known names were pretty invisible.

Without any jersey numbers, I had real difficulty identifying the frosh and even some of the regular players from last year. Samantha Meza, however, was obvious. Great foot skills but clearly is just starting

Heeligan2 repped this.
  15. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    (whoops got cut off....) to figure out how, as a freshman, she and her style are going to fit in to UNC's way of playing. As often as not she takes a lot of touches and does remarkably well in traffic and had some great passes, and I an confident that her skill will develop towards more one touch passing given her role in the offense. I was embarrassed to leave the scrimmage without being sure which player was Talia DellaPeruta. Thought I had her identified several times, but then maybe not. The incoming 2020 class also has 2 or 3 other players who could significantly contribute, but I could not identify them for sure.

I was looking to see Brooke Bingham but disappointed that she seemed not to be there. (I had assumed that she would step back into her role as a central defender that she did so well two years ago in the run to the NCAA championship game.) I also missed seeing Rachael Dowart as I had hoped that she would be injury free this year. On the other hand I thought that Aleigh Gambone looked quite good and might even get significant time this year.

Anyway, a fun outing being two out of maybe 20 people in a 4,000 seat stadium (no problem social distancing!), basking in the sunlight with my most comfortable mask enjoying the good company of my wife (who was quicker at identifying some players than I was) and generally appreciating being out of the house and watching my favorite sport.

My best wishes for all of you WOSO fans!

Heeligan2, Val1 and nocarters repped this.
  16. Azul Diablo

Azul Diablo Member

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Aug 2, 2019
    Interesting that you were able to attend the scrimmage coming on the heels of last week’s no fans in attendance announcement? Is there no enforcement of restrictions at sporting events on campus? How is UNC handling attendance at events (scrimmages or games) given the NC COVID order? Are certain groups of people (close friends, parents) allowed to attend when fans are not? Seems to be some very different approaches right now across the ACC - both official and nonofficial - and trying to get an understanding of what other schools are doing.

17. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    I was at the scrimmage as well. They scrimmage on the main field (Dorrance field). The gates are open and they seem to be fine with folks watching. From what I can tell it's mostly family in attendance. I have heard they will have the gates closed for the regular season games, at least through September.

Azul Diablo repped this.
  18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    The UNC women's soccer schedule is posted on their website.

8 ACC games plus 2 extra games with ACC opponents.

The 4 away ACC games are:
    Duke 9/27
    Syracuse 10/15
    BC 10/18
    Louisville 10/29

The 4 home ACC games are:
    Wake 9/17
    VT 9/20
    Clemson 10/1
    Notre Dame 11/1

The 2 bonus home games are:
    Virginia 10/8
    Duke 10/23

The ACC Tournament will be on November 10, 13, 15 at Cary.

Given the times this should be a very interesting. What will the protocols be if a player comes down with Covid-19? Is the whole team quarantined for two weeks? Everyone gets tested daily and if not infected can continue to play? Or what?

19. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

I heard that the director of the Tour de France tested positive but is only being quarantined for 7 days. Good question about contacts with a positive: if somebody who's been in contact with a positive tests negative 3 times, you'd think they wouldn't need further quarantining. It's weird that we still hear about sizeable numbers of deaths from Covid and yet for 95 percent of athletes who test positive it seems little more than the slightest of health issues. Difference between fit 20-30-years and elderly people with chronic, often serious preexisting conditions.

ping repped this.
  20. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Hmm, The ACC coaches poll for the 2020 (& spring 21?)shows UNC at the top followed by FSU and VIrginia. I understand that much of these rankings are based on last season, but I think that those three top teams are essentially on a par with each other. Personally, I am worried that the UNC defense will bot be nearly as solid as it was last year without Lotte Wubben-Moy and Alessia Russo. For the last three years Lotte was such a dominating, confident, calm, and good judgement figure in the middle. I just don't see that kind of leadership at this moment. Maycee is a different player -exceptional in her own way, but not the psychologically dominating and calm, authoritative presence of Lotte. And on offense, having Alessia on the field changed everything in that she had to be marked closely which freed up others in the offense. So what I am saying is that until other players are found to step up into these roles, the Heels are simply not as strong as last season. It will not surprise me to see Virginia or FSU come out on top.

Recruiting wise, Anson brought in two excellent defenders this fall (Abby Allen and Paige Tolentino), and it appeared to me that that one of them would be seen as being ready to step in as a starter in their sophomore seasons. Thanks to Covid forcing Lotte to abandon her senior season, one (or both) of these frosh may be pressed in to action this year. We shall see....

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    and as an addendum...while Virginia or FSU might prove the strongest this coming season, it would also not surprise me to see the Heels get it together and have another outstanding season.

22. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Out of interest, when was the last time they did not have an outstanding season? maybe better question, what do you define as outstanding?

23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yea, it's all relative, isn't it?

24. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I've had a chance to look at the game results from last evening's game with Wake Forest in the left over rain from what used to be hurricane Sally. I'm hoping that some of you who have access to the video might be able to comment on the actual game, but from what I can tell, everyone in a Carolina uniform got some minutes with most of the substitutes having significant time. Feel bad for Wake... not a promising start fo the ACC season.

I am surprised to see that Paige Tolentino got the start at defense. I had Abby Allen pegged as the likely frosh starter on the basis of the two scrimmages I saw. Abby did get 30 some minutes, however.

A burning question for me that I am hoping that some of you better connected UNC fans can speak to is, "where is Brooke Bingham???" She tore her ACL early in the spring season of 2019 and was fully abmulatory last fall although never in uniform, was on the field for all games encouraging the team and even informally kicking he ball around with teammates at half times. Sne looked great then, and I had assumed that she would be at full force this fall after another year of healing/rehab. She's still on the roster but nowhere to be seen. Since she was such a force at center back in 2018 (especially during the NCAA semi final and championship games) I was looking forward to her returning to the defense this year as a redshirt junior. MIA again?

Heeligan2 repped this.
  25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I watched the first half on ACCNX replay.
    As per usual, a ton of talented players. Pinto, Jones, Fox, Bell etc.
    The losses in the defense and your 2 English players not coming back hurts IMO.
    WF was not a good passing team, even given the pressure.
    UNC will score goals.
    They appear to be susceptible to counters.
    UNC, UVA and FSU all are capable of beating each other.
    Time will tell!