UNC 2020

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 9, 2019.

1. MountainDew

MountainDew Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Palm Springs, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Ruby Grant this year it seems.
    Her name and profile removed from UNC roster.

2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes I believe she will sign soon for an English team and not staying at Arsenal.

3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Ouch. It appears as though the pathetic American response to Covid-19 has resulted in a potentially excellent player deciding to bag the US college experience and go the pro route in England.

HeadSpun repped this.
  4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    If that were her reasoning why would she move back to where the deaths per capita and per case-count are higher?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...-covid-19-deaths-per-capita-and-by-case-count

5. bulge-in-the-net

bulge-in-the-net New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    That's not treason and I certainly hope you can see that.
    She doesn't want to waste a year in a half ***ed season when she can play and train for real. Has nothing to do with your particular political bent or real science

Soccerhunter repped this.
  6. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yes, this is what I am referring to. (Silly me. I though it was obvious.) While the national US response to the corona virus may included many positive and negative things, the ongoing machinations of the NCAA and the various conferences and schools with regard to the factor of the corona virus and playing a sports season this fall makes a decision for a top soccer player pretty easy. (Stay home. Play a season of soccer. Don't risk flying to the US for a "no season". ...and I would not be surprised if it was Anson who suggested that she should consider not coming.)

Heeligan2 and UNCway repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ruby has signed for West Ham but will still be eligible to play in NCAA " Grant joins the Irons on non-contract terms". She might come next season.

8. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks for the info, shlj. It (almost) confirms that Anson did suggest a route for her which takes into account still playing US college soccer.

9. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #59 Eddie K, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Does anyone know if UNC is going to continue to let their athletes train? When the campus will be empty and I believe even students in the area are asked to go home.
    Not trying to point fingers but serious question as this will likely happen at many other colleges.

ps- not going to post it here but I did love the editorial of the campus newspaper.

10. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    athletes were allowed to stay on campus and continue to train as normal. basically UNC just created the perfect bubble for their athletes.

soccerfanalways repped this.
  11. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This opens up a whole bunch of questions about priorities. Are we relegating academics to athletics? Are athletics deemed to be more important than academics and are our priorities misguided?

I'm loath to say this but after all of this has settled it might be a good time to reevaluate the role of athletics at the collegiate level. Perhaps the European-style academies should also be the model in the United States.

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Absolutely not picking on UNC but they are getting all the national attention now and I guess someone had to be first (that is, big State school to send everyone home).

The UNC SGA President was just on CNN and asked the question "if the campus is not safe for students, how is it safe for athletes?" and he did not have an answer.

We all know the protocols they follow are rigorous and that is the answer but it will now be essentially a quarantine situation with soccer and classes on the laptop mixed in. And they are not getting paid or getting room service like the NBA or MLS players at Disney.

I'm sure all these players want to train and play but I bet it gets old pretty quickly with absolutely no NARPs around.

13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    No one has to be there. It is a choice. And, it is a privilege to have that opportunity. It is clearly a safer environment than an entire university operating at full capacity. A much smaller environment to control.

After losing the entire spring and summer, the opportunity to simply train together is a gift and one most athletes are craving right now.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  14. soccerfanalways

manu
    United States
    Aug 11, 2020
    The athlete's mental health/physical health needs to be considered. Cutting them off cold turkey and sending them home is not a good option especially in light of the myocarditis that everyone is speaking about.

We need our athletes in a program, being tested regularly and treated if they do get COVID and then monitored appropriately (EKG, Blood test, Ultrasound, MRI if necessary) prior to return to activity.

How many of us are financially able to do that protocol (It would all be out of pocket costs if we were at home) and truthfully how many live in a place where test results come back quickly and are readily accessible. The tests are not inexpensive and we would need to be giving them fairly regularly.

Most athletes aren't established patients with a cardiologist.

If the schools are expecting the athletes to continue to train etc then they should be on campus for that training.

Glove Stinks, ytrs and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  15. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My kid is back at school training (even though their season is postponed). The protocols in place, I believe, make it a much safer environment than if she was home.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  16. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Amen!

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps you should consider this, posted by a player parent on the Corona Season thread:

Welp, I guess I can chime in now with some "expertise" on the subject. Daughter plays at a P5 school and reported like everyone else around Aug 3rd to be tested and placed in the proverbial "bubble." Fall semester was cancelled prior to this and all classes are online. The entire team initially tested negative but less than two weeks later during the team's routine Covid test, my daughter and a teammate tested positive. Contact tracing traced it back to NARP roommates living with some of the players. The whole team is quarantined now for 14 days with testing being done. Side note, several football players also have it.

I guess my point is, those of you who think there is some magical athletic bubble that will protect these athletes are fooling yourselves. These girls live with other girls, or associate with some who aren't athletes. There is no bubble. They were left to practice and mill about at will during the two weeks prior to official start of preseason on Aug 15. My kid did everything right, only associated with the team and still got it. She had the fever, chills, no appetite, lack of smell, and a rocking migraine that lasted four days. When I tell her that "people say it doesn't affect you young athletes," her response was this: "You're kidding right? it sucks and I never want this crap again."

Once she's done with symptoms, she has to complete a battery of Covid-related heart tests before she's cleared to practice. Had this been during a soccer season, three-plus weeks of games would have been canceled.​

UNCway and Gryphons Dad repped this.
  18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    There is no complete bubble unless no one goes out or comes in. As long as the coaching and support staff goes home at night, then they are susceptible to 2nd and 3rd hand contact.
    That said, the setups at most of these universities is preferrable to what most college age kids will do if left at home. Can they still get COVID? Yes, this player is Exhibit A. Can that point be true AND they still be safer and less likely to get COVID? Absolutely. They have protocols in place to test, detect and treat COVID much faster than the average person. If 1 or 5 people on a team testing positive is going to derail a season, then you might as well cancel the season immediately.

19. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Russo and Wubben-Moy leaving UNC to play back home, not sure where yet.

20. Keane Stone

Keane Stone New Member

UNC
    Germany
    Aug 22, 2020
    Are you sure about Wubben-Moy? I've heard about Russo, but haven't heard anything about Lotte. Also, who do you think will step up in Russo's place? *(If the season happens)*

21. nocarters

nocarters Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Georgia
    The Wubben-Moy info came from a teammate. Not sure why it hasn't come out yet. Gonna be tough to replace Russo. Rue would come in last season and spell her. Just read about NC State suspending athletics, so looking less and less likely we'll find out this year..

22. EHaz

EHaz Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 23, 2017
    Wubben-Moy is gone aswell. really unfortunate. Really wanted her and Russo to have that last chance to win a ring and i know they wanted to badly. What great careers at UNC and i wish them the best. Russo will be a future star and i'll definitely keep an eye on their careers.The pipeline in England has been established and there will be more talented brits who consider UNC because of those two.

With that said, this team is still stacked and a top contender. This freshman class might be even better than last year's..whatever semblance of a season we have i hope its a good one

23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #73 Soccerhunter, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    I too am disappointed with the departure of Russo, Wubben-Moy and the cancellation of Ruby Grant. We've been soo close to the national championship these past two years each time with a key player out from injury, and I was hoping we could get a shot this year with the team at full strength. Covid certainly changes everything.

Yes, we will still have a good team for the spring, but missing two fabulous 3-year starters and leaders is worrisome. On the other hand can one assume that either several of the frosh coming in or players like Rachael Dowart will have stepped up and could start?

Here's a sample starting with first in subs that be sound encouraging for spring 21 play. (If we get any fall games, they will essentially be scrimmages..No?)

Goal: Dickey --First Sub (or platoon): Josephson
    4 backs: Fox, Bell, Bingham, Dorsey --First subs: Abby Allen, Lois Joel
    Holding Mid: Otto (or if she graduates, Dowart?
    Mid: DellaPeruta, Pinto, Jones --First Subs: Dowart, Pierce, Baker (Fr Griswold)
    Fwd: Cox, Meza First Subs: Strickland, Baker, Gambone

AND, it goes with out saying that we could always see any number of "surprises". That's one of the fun things of college soccer.

24. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    No the fall games aren't scrimmages. they count for the spring NCAA Tournament

25. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Where did you see that they count toward your spring NCAA tournament. Please post the link.