UNC 2020

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 9, 2019.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    UNC returns 9 starters, though one of those is Emily Fox, so hopefully she will be able to play next fall. This should be another extremely strong team. Perhaps 2020 is the year? I haven't check to see who Stanford loses.

2. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many. And they have the usual strong freshman class coming in. They might be better next year than this one.

3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I have been saying for years that 2020 will be UNC's strongest team in a long while. Buit I get potentially 10 players returning as Bridgette is the only true senior starter in 2019. (Taylor Otto is a redshirt junior in 2019. She might get her diploma this spring and come back as a graduate student next fall for her 4th season with the Heels. Anson had mused publicly that she could go pro this spring, but I have heard that she might very well want another college season.)

On the other hand, I would not be surprised if Emily did not come back next year. She really has hear heart set on being on the US women's national team and with the same knee ACL tear she might not want to jeopardize her self with a possible career ending third ACL tear in college (rather on the US senior team on which she already has three three caps & 2 starts). The normal healing time for an ACL used to be a year (which would put her beyond next season) but it is now more common to see players back after 9-10 months. Emily came back to play for the U20 team in June of 2018 after only 8 months...she was really motivated. So we shall see.....

I believe we will be stronger because of some really good prospects playing with us next year. I do not count out some really great improvement from the likes of the present frosh "game changers" such as Maggie Pierce, Alexis Strickland, Hallie Klanke, and Aleigh Gabone and next year senior Lois Joel. If one or two of these players cops a "Lindsey Harris" and shows up after the summer as immensely improved enough to bump one of the present starters out of the line up we will be stronger yet. And then there will be defender Brooke Bingham and forward Rachel Dowart returning from injuries this last season. Both of them will be competing for a starting position.

...And the incoming class is quite strong. I expect that Talia DellaPeruta might very well start in the midfield next fall. She has been honing her game in Germany with Koln and is currently at the US U20 camp in Florida. Texan Samantha Meza will be really interesting to watch. She has been regularly on the US youth national teams for 4 years as a forward. She is a fireplug of energy, has great ball skills, and understands the offensive game well. She appears to be 5'0' on a good day and may have difficulty staying up with larger players in college ...or she might develop into another Crystal Dunn. Another great midfield prospect is recently uncommitted Ruby Grant from England. She looks really promising, but IMO may take a year or so to get into the swing of the pace of the Heels. Another intriguing forward prospect is Mollie Griswold from Arizona. She has good size at 5'7" and scores a lot of goals for her club team. She has gotten a few looks at a couple of USYNT camps, but hasn't stuck and so has the same profile as Rachel Dowart in that respect. And another Texan, defender Abby Allen will also be matriculating. She was the first to commit to UNC in the 2020 class and has developed nicely over time on the U16 and U18, and U20 youth national teams. Then there are four more players in the 2020 class and who knows how they will develop too!

So how about a line up with Caludia or Marz in the goal and then:

A defense of Bell, Bingham, Wubben-Moy, and Dorsey with Abbey Allen and Tori Hansen nipping at their heels,

A midfield of (holding mid) Otto, and then Fox, Pinto, and Russo with DellaPeurta, Jones, and perhaps three more really challenging for a position.

And up front starters might be Meza and Cox... or Dowart and Cox (the large choice...or Dowart and Grizwold, or maybe Dowart and Meza, or even Jones and Meza (the small choice)... with Strickland, Klanke, and Gambone chomping at the bit.

2020 will be very good! Not only with the Heels be strong, but there will be a lots of good competition in the ACC including Virginia, FSU, Clemson, and Duke on the east coast, and Louisville and Notre Dame in the mid west, and from the west Stanford, UCLA, USC, will all be stronger, not to mention teams like WSU and Cal in the PAC-12, and around the country teams like BYU, Georgetown, plus a few Big 10 and SEC teams who will also be making noise. FUN!

Heeligan2 repped this.
  4. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    UNC has now overtaken UCLA for most times as national runner up. All part of the master plan as I now see

Heeligan2 repped this.
  5. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only team I know of that has a goat mounting a cathedral for its logo.

Cologne_cathedral_aerial_25326253726.jpg

We now return to our regular programming.

Attached Files:

blissett repped this.
  6. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I just noticed that Fox tore her ACL in 2017 season. Was this new injury the same knee, or the other one?

7. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    My understanding is that it is the same knee (right).

ytrs repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think, "Megan Rapinoe." Emily needs one more to catch up with her. And, where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck to her, I wouldn't be surprised if she and Megan chat a little about it.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    ACLs are tough rehabs.
    8 to 9 months is the best scenario.
    Each surgery is different, even on the same patient.
    FSU's Kristina Lynch came back this year after a November injury of last year.
    She wore a bulky knee brace and WAS NOT nearly 100%.
    Emily could do it, but if I were her father/mother, I would encourage her
    to sit it out and rehab 100%.
    I'm not!
    We'll see.
    It's possible, but the game of soccer is tough on ACLs with all the stops and starts and twists and quick turns.
    Good luck to her.

UNCway repped this.
  10. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Ok, I know she has been a volunteer assistant coach for just a season, but she’s HAO for goodness sakes. Is she AD’s heir apparent?

11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DellaPeruta is from Georgia and playing in Germany? Is that normal, isnt she in high school, Im confused.

12. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I read that she's graduating in '20. Not sure where she will attend school.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, Megan has had at least two ACL’s after college, so Fox isn’t close to catching up.

14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Kids and families now are looking for an edge. She also played in the recent Nike Friendlies. Not clear what her best position is. She seemed very eager to join attacks. She played in both games, off the bench in the first where she provided a spark. Started the second and was relatively quiet.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  15. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that could become expensive quickly, but that is another subject.

Number007 repped this.
  16. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I think that the UNC women's soccer 2020 class is pretty set. Here's what I have. The preceding number is my personal strength calculation for the player on a 1-10 scale of college recruits.

9.0 M - Talia DellaPeruta
    8.5 F - Samantha Meza
    8.0 D - Abbey Allen
    7.5 M - Ruby Grant
    7.0 M - Paige Tolentino
    6.5 F - Mollie Griswold
    6.0 M - Avery Patterson
    6.0 M - Kai Hayes
    5.5 M - Riley Quinlan

I haven't had time to run the numbers on the 2020 class over the top 25 or 50 classes, but the strength numbers above would put UNC recruiting class in Tier 1 or Tier 2 (possibly in the top 5 classes) in the 330+ Division 1 soccer teams along with the likes of UCLA, Virginia, and Stanford.

Of the UNC recruits above, I see DellaPeruta and Meza as possibly contributing right away.. or at least leading the blue team.

Abbey Allen has the misfortune of being a defender coming up against a loaded UNC defense this next year with Brooke Bingham coming back and no defender graduating. She otherwise should be starting material.

Grant, Tolentino, and Griswold, are three that could surprise and make a quick impact, but I suspect will be counted on to develop and ready for starting in future years.

Patterson, Hayes, and Quinlan, may be developmental material of the kind that blossoms in due time. --Think of Kelley McFarland or Paige Neilsen who worked hard and became regular starters and team leaders in their senior seasons. (...and Paige was a starting defender as a pro in the NWSL in 2019.)

AND.... I am always prepared for a pleasant surprise and to be proven wrong when I make assertions as I have above.

17. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    What is the method for calculating the strength numbers?

18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Hi Espola, The answer to your question is complex. For almost a decade I used top put out recruiting class rankings for the top 50, but it took a prodigious amount of time and even then I relied heavily on Brian Goff's amazing spreadsheet for an initial source of data. (He put in more time than I and had to give up the effort about 3 years ago as he had a full time job too!)

To get a sense of how I rate players go to the "Class of 2019 Recruiting" thread here on Big Soccer and read posts #52, #56, and #58 although many other posts (especially commentary by 007) on the thread would be useful.

Cheers!

19. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Have you fed back your analysis to compare with actual performance?

20. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I've been tempted to do this and I am confident that in general a four-year conglomerate of recruiting classes would reflect results. But I am also clear that just because an individual player shows well in her club or HS environment does not necessarily mean that she will blossom in the college environment and there is plenty of evidence of this. Additionally, the "fit" of a recruiting class is probably equally as important quality of coaching and the raw skill set of the recruit. (By "fit" I mean the players who turn out to complement existing players in a way that leads to great team performance even if the players are not super stars but are great supporting "team" members.)

But your query spurs me to move forward with this and now that I am back on line after a haitus, I'll get some data together and send it off to cpthomas who has volunteered to do the math.

cpthomas repped this.
  21. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    There are regressive statistical techniques that can fold the results back into the parameters of the prediction to refine the relative strengths of the measured values. I have studied those techniques, but never actually reduced them to practice. I don't even know if the data set is large enough or consistent enough to make any difference anyway.

Good luck.

22. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Don't know where to ask this question, but are any other Big Soccer users having problems with this website in the last three or four days?

I have had a terrible time trying to log on, or change pages, or try to post. I keep getting a page saying "This page isn't redirecting properly" and "An error occurred during a connection to www. bigsoccer.com"

It has taken me repeated tries to FINALLY get a a specific page, and then it won't let me post with the same messages. It's a huge waste of time. (It took me 35 minutes to post the small comment on the FSU page, and who knows how much more frustration it will take to get this to post!)

Is it my computer or connection, or are other posters also experiencing some of this?

Many thanks for a reply.

23. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not that for me. Although I post from my phone
    I do get annoying fishing pop ups that don’t allow you to close. Only happens every 3 or 4 months but makes it impossible to navigate BS

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every once in a while I have trouble, but not to the extent you've described. Sometimes it looks like it's a problem with BigSoccer itself. It's a little aggravating but, again, not like you've described. I have not had unusual problems the last few days.

25. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I had a couple of failed attempts ("bad gateway" error message after a time delay) yesterday.