UNC 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Well, Tarheel fans, it's UNC vs Stanford on Sunday. We have a chance at another Championship.

I wish I was more positive about the outcome on Sunday as the rational side of me fears a pretty thorough drubbing. But I often am surprised at unexpected outcomes., and so I am hopeful.

I was shocked tonight (Friday) at how poorly we played. Was it the weather, Emily's absence, or something else?

I really fear that the Stanford offense will make mincemeat of a UNC three back defense. I think that we need to back to the 4 back system we have been so successful with all season. (Can somebody tell Anson that! ;-) But we will have to see what Anson thinks on Sunday evening.

Lastly, my wife and I will be at the Chapel Hill Tobaco Road sports bar restaurant to see the game. Others want to see it there on a big screen? Join us.

Heeligan2 and HeadSpun repped this.
  2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    SH, I will be cheering the Heels on Sunday.
    Like you, I have a foreboding that we may be seeing an unstoppable force
    in Stanford.
    Are we looking at the beginning of the Stanford soccer dynasty?
    Here's hoping that the Heels prove me wrong! Go Heels!

3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Washington State in fact has a bunch of very good players, and an excellent team. They just happen to play in the Pac12 with three other teams that are roughly top 5 nationally in quality, and lost to each of them, and so their quality was hidden from view.

I think I'd play 6 in defense if I were playing this Stanford team. I predict Dorrance will play 4 in the back. Playing a 3-back against the Cardinal is foolish.

4. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Vs a team that can match up physically ( for the most part) and is not afraid to be direct vs the press, that is exactly how i expected UNC to play. I thought Washington State had a live chance vs UNC even with Fox. At this stage of the year its all about styles. The Cougars were a bad match up and on another day could have won the game. They created enough chances to do so, but made a couple of bad decisions in front of goal.

Stanford and UCLA are both great teams. However, the goalkeeping in this game was pretty average. Another thing that gets highlighted at this time of year. You cant allow players like Smith to just cut in and soot from acute angles. Good strikes, yes, but a good keeper should not be getting beat from there.

Disappointed in Katie Meyer.Pretty sure those kids have made International trips together on US YNTs.

Stanford are a much better attacking team than UNC. The issue will be can Stanford stand up to the physical pressure they will face. If they can win that battle, I dont see the game being close.

5. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I will join the crowd thinking unc might get clobbered, but I was there in 2009 in college station when unc beat an undefeated Stanford team they weren’t supposed to beat for the title and then again in 2012 when they beat another undefeated Stanford team in the semifinals prior to winning their last title. Unc has lost only one time ever to Stanford, in an early season game in 2016 or so on a flukey goal. Maybe this is loss number 2, or maybe Anson shows tactical brilliance and the kids each play their best game of the season (like they did in 2012). If Emily Fox was on the field, I’d feel pretty decent about this game. As it is , we will just have to see.
    Whatever happens , let’s not lose sight of the fact that 3 College Cups including two finals in 4 years would be a program defining resume for any senior class for basically any team in the country other than UNC.For The Seniors!!!!

Tom81 repped this.
  6. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Its a one off game. Anything can happen. Im not a big one for history. What UNC have done is and always will be impressive.

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Played without your best defender and took it to PKs.
    Kudos.
    So sad to come up just short.
    Nothing to hang your head about.

socalsoccer23 and Soccerhunter repped this.
  8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Valiant effort by UNC, which played an excellent defensive match and came within a save/miss of winning the title. Dickey was impressive--two stellar saves. The Heels played /hard/, really pressured the ball, and disrupted a powerful Stanford attack--but that is what UNC does. IMO too much was made of the loss of Fox. Yes, tough to lose an excellent player like her, but we're talking about a team that is /loaded/ with good players--may not have the top end talent of Macario and Smith (who is super), etc.--but UNC has more quality depth than anybody, and they showed that tonight. Great match--very tense.

9. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Unc stood tall. As a USC parent I was silently rooting for them. Stanford had the better chances but I was entertained to the final kick. Great show by UNC

uncchamps2012, Soccerhunter and Messi #1 repped this.
  10. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    look, the system makes individuals less relevant. I agree on Fox. Loss, yes, but this is a a system team. All the top teams are loaded with good players. It comes down to matchups and a bounce here or there. I disagree that they have more depth or quality. They really dont, but their system makes most of the players they have effective in its context.

HeadSpun and Messi #1 repped this.
  11. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the 90 minutes, I thought UNC would run out of gas in overtime, they had done SO much defending I expected Stanford to get someone open and end it. Wrong. Of the 12 shots, six were in overtime and UNC dominated the first OT and played Stanford evenly in the second. When it went to penalties I REALLY wanted the Heels to win because I wanted Claudia to be the hero.

Sixteen days ago in Chapel Hill, the Colorado Buffaloes and their fans including me held our heads high even though we lost 1-0 to a better team. In the Hold Your Head High Department, it's the Tar Heels' turn.

uncchamps2012, Soccerhunter and Messi #1 repped this.
  12. Messi #1

Messi #1 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Oct 9, 2019
    UNC played smart game. Defense minded. They learned from UCLA playing 3 in the back. I guess Amanda thought they were still playing Lamar in the first round.

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I'm disappointed to see the Heels not take the trophy when they came sooo close (their 20th shutout of the season) but we fans all have to deal with disappointment. The coaching staff did a wonderful job preparing the game plan and getting the players ready to play, and each player did very well! (Our 20th shutout this season) I couldn't be prouder!

Looking forward...... Next year could be just as exciting. The talent is continuing to pour in to college teams and the the sport is getting better and better. UNC will be one of about 10 teams next year who have good recruiting classes. UCLA is bringing on lots of players capable of starting. Stanford will have most of its team back and while the recruiting class is large the Cardinal have some top prospects as usual. USC will have an excellent team next year with DeMelo back on the field, and Washington State will be strong again with some good recruiting. In the ACC, Virginia will be back with most of its lineup and with a good recruiting class, one can never count out FSU as Mark will undoubtedly turn up some great internationals next August and will be tough to beat as usual, Duke will be bringing in 2 strong frosh, and Clemson has a gang busters class coming in which may put the Tigers in the top echelon of the ACC. So much to look forward to.

Finally, a shout out to our departing seniors. Bridgette apparently really put in the effort over the summer and was spectacular this year. Her play on the right side was solid and she could reliably move the ball up and still play great defense. Morgan Goff was the kind of spark we needed coming and obviously was Ru, and Maddy certainly fulfilled her role. THANKS!

Best to all BIg Soccer WOSO posters!

14. Fan 'O Soccer

Fan 'O Soccer New Member

Oct 7, 2013
    #314 Fan 'O Soccer, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    I have to disagree about Fox. She is so good on the ball, and what we were missing was the ability to get through the Stanford back line. She could have made a difference.

Is it just my perception, or does UNC seem to be shaky on penalty kicks year after year? Even our regular kicker this year, who was generally very good, seemed to go the same way every time and often didn't put the ball in the corner (her shot was blocked against Michigan). Yesterday, the Stanford keeper could well have stopped another one or two.

Maycee Bell, what a force! And Wubben-Moy was great, too. Same for Andrzejewski and Dorsey.

Soccerhunter and UNCway repped this.
  15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I agree with your point.
    FSU lost one starter on the back line, Natalia Kuikka from an NC defense that gave up like 3 SOG in the CC last year.

This year, FSU's defense was a sieve. It's been years (decade plus) since it has been that bad. Of course Kuikka was only among, if not, the very best CBs in the game.

Now FSU also lost some wingers that impacted how often other teams had the ball in the attacking third, but still in all, ONE player of Fox's caliber can make a huge difference.

With the depth UNC plays with, it is very likely they get another natty very soon.
    Going into next year, Stanford will and should be favored. They return their stars, and they always recruit extremely well.
    After Macario, Pickett and Haley depart, then maybe...

16. Bud Siegel

Bud Siegel New Member

UNC
    United States
    Sep 25, 2018
    Thought team was very well prepared for Stanford and played their hearts out and deserve immense kudos. However, I am mystified why a player who was only on the field all season, as of 12/6, for only 89 minutes, would be placed in a position to have to perform in a sudden death penalty shoot-out situation for the National Championship.

17. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    I am really proud of our ladies. Very few people gave them any chance against Stanford, and they, in turn, gave everything they had and all Stanford could handle. They could easily have won, had 2 really good opportunities in the box, and the pks could have gone either way. I don't think I have ever seen them play with more intensity, to the point of even the starters with their two rests being exhausted at the end.

I don't intend to criticize anyone but I would like someone to give me their interpretation of Anson's reasoning in his 6th choice in the shoot out. I am afraid that missing that shot is going to haunt that young lady for the rest of her life. What I don't understand is why he would put her in that critical, high stakes, high intensity situation. She had not played at all during the game, the field was soggy and slick underfoot, She had played only 7 minutes in the Michigan game, and had not since then, and although I did not check the stats thoroughly, I don't think she has played much at all all season. So,when you've got Pinto, Andrezjewski, Cox, Schultz, Redei, Ru, Joel, etc., etc., etc., what was he thinking? One possibility is that he was going to the mat with his principle that if you are recruited you will get to play and he was going to put a low-time reserve into a critical spot, accordingly. Of course, had she made the shot, it would also be an event that she would remember the rest of her life. It's just the odds. Any guesses or insights as to his reasoning?

18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I raised the same question last night--seemed a bit of an odd decision and a tough spot for the kid--but have no clue as to his reasoning. One can only assume that she has shown some talent at taking PKs in practice; what other explanation could there be? Did Pinto take one--I can't remember. I want to say no.

19. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen to that !! I'm proud of them and I'm not even a UNC fan, although I'm glad I got to see them twice (Colorado and Michigan).

Which she does NOT deserve.

Soccerhunter, Tom81 and Bud Siegel repped this.
  20. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    we will never know. I think it was a very strange decision, even if she had shown the skill in practice. The pressure in that environment would have been all I cared about as a coach. Often, coaches select the players who actually want to take the kicks. In this case with so many more experienced players available, there is no way I would have had her in my initial rotation.

Its possible that none of the other players actually wanted to take a penalty. If thats true, then it says something about them. Jones got away with a terrible penalty as well. Stanford on balance were more composed from the spot

21. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Let's not forget that Emily Fox also had a bunch of assists and a couple of goals , including the first one against USC in the quarterfinals on one of the best individual efforts I have seen.

22. Bud Siegel

Bud Siegel New Member

UNC
    United States
    Sep 25, 2018
    I would not be shocked if someone made a mistake in entering her number and they could not rectify the error. It makes no sense to place a freshman with only 89 minutes of playing time for the entire season in that situation.

23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I assume the same. Anson may have been sticking to his system as a matter if integrity. In other words, if Tori had positioned herself in practices as the team's 6th best PK shooter (and this fact would be known given that all the girls' stats are posted every day for all of the team to see) then Anson is obligated to put his money where his mouth is and follow through with rewarding demonstrated effort and skill. Selecting another player for the shot could be seen as hypocritical given what he has publicly espoused for decades. Bad outcome in any case, but hindsight is always 20/20.

blissett repped this.
  24. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    shooters were Otto (missed), R. Jones, C. Dickey, A. Russo, Wubben-Moy, Hansen (saved).
    It's a mystery. She must have been flawless in practice. Someone above mentioned it having to do with recruited players playing, but it seems like if that were the case , then he would have gone with a senior since a freshman will have plenty more chances.
    At a much, much, much lower level, I missed in a PK shootout in 1986 and we lost the game. A championship was at stake, but nothing like this. I think about it often actually, though I think that's mostly because I am still friends with the goalkeeper who completely psyched me out before I pushed my kick wider than I will admit! No wisdom there for something at this level, but I do hope that one or all of these things happens: 1. She wins NCAA titles for UNC during her sophomore, junior, and senior years, making the kick seem pretty small at that point. 2. That somehow it leads her in a positive direction in a way that would not have happened otherwise. 3. That eventually having been in an NCAA title game and her coach choosing her to kick will be a fond memory. Maybe she will remember the kindness of teammates and coaches afterwards. 4. That she and the goalkeeper are friends 33 years from now and occasionally joke about re-creating the scene , but never do because it would sort of ruin the memory. That's been my experience, again, at a much, much lower level.

SakiBomb25, blissett and HeadSpun repped this.
  25. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting a freshman in for PKs only is not unprecedented.

In 2002, in the Quarterfinals, Portland played at Stanford and went to PKs in a 0-0 game. The game winning PK was by the fourth PK taker, Portland frosh Colleen Salisbury, making it 4-2. She had not otherwise played in the game. She had played in 8 games earlier in the season, starting 0. She was in the second fewest games of all players on the roster except for the #2 GK. Nicole Barnhart was in goal for Stanford. Portland went on to win the Championship.

Then, in 2005, in the Semifinals, undefeated Portland played undefeated Penn State and went to PKs in a 0-0 game. The fourth PK taker again was Salisbury. She again had not otherwise played in the game. She had played in 12 games earlier in the season, starting 0. She made her PK once again. This was, for me, one of the greatest games in NCAA Tournament history. (Christine Sinclair made the final, game winning, PK.) Portland went on to win the Championship, 4-0, versus UCLA.

I always have assumed that the coaches knew Salisbury was a really good PK taker and had ice water in her veins. Rather than searching for other explanations, why not assume that's the same explanation for UNC this year? Players, even the best, miss PKs sometimes. Why not just take it for what it is?