UNC 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 2, 2018.

1. EHaz

EHaz Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 23, 2017
    isn't "intent" part of receiving a red? you're telling me Pinto went in with the intent to hurt Ivory? do you get a red for an accidental handball? i see girls going in and clashing studs up going after loose balls all the time. it was an accident.

ping and Crazyhorse repped this.
  2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I do not think Pinto was trying to hurt her.

ping repped this.
  3. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    of course she isnt. These comments saying she was looking at the ball etc are just lost. It does not matter. She made a reckless challenge on a defenseless GK. Its a foul and a yellow minimum. You cant throw your body around and say I was looking at the ball. I can guarantee you that if that play happened the other way, that stadium would have been baying for a red card and im not at all convinced that the ref does not give one.

4. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You misunderstand my point. Dorrance has always created his “competitive cauldron” in training. It’s a culture of going 110% at all cost and injuries happen. As a previous poster earlier mentioned this not a first nor will it be the last reckless play that takes out an opponent

5. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    You make sure you click "replay," get the "date" right, click "soccer" in the drop down, then scroll down until you find the game.

6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Go to the ACC thread and Val has the short video segment of it.

7. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    This is somewhat off subject but if you’ve not already listened to it you might try the Throwback podcast (from Sports Illustrated with Grant Wahl) about the 1999 US women’s soccer team. Well, it starts out about the 1999 team but then is really the story of the 1991 team, the first World Cup. Lots of UNC ties there, of course, Dorrance, Mia Hamm, etc., with good interviews.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  8. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Left the broadcast for 5 min. and came back to no announcer and the Heels up
    2-0. Silence ensued... I thought, well, when you gotta go you gotta go...

Great to see Emily actually take a shot! First goal of the season.

9. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Actually, it was the first goal of Emily's career!

10. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Sorry for a non -unc post, but I don’t want to seem like a troll on the Stanford thread. Stanford won 15-0 tonight. First thought when I saw the score was that perhaps even their third string team was scoring. But, then I saw that the 14th goal was scored in the 78th minute, her 4th of the game, by their leading scorer who is also the nation’s leading scorer and the reigning Herman award winner . Why is this player in the game in the 78th minute with a 13-0 lead?
    Do I remember correctly that Anson has a rule never to score more than 9 goals?

Heeligan2 and UNCway repped this.
  11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Thought that tonight's game was great. Played the starters for less than 30 minutes in the first half and then essentially it was all subs the rest of the way, with the exception of Emily and Maycee for some in the first part of the second half. I Ioved that the defense in the second half was a three back formation with Morgan Goff, Tori Hansen, and Hallie Klanke. This was the first time that Tori had been significantly in the game all season.

Key stats to give the flavor of the game were 10 fouls total between the two teams (a very civil game!), 19 shots on goal by UNC with an amazing 14 saves by Belmont.

So on to facing Colorado on Friday!

UNCway repped this.
  12. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I have to echo complaints from years past that the NCAA broadcasts, via ESPN, are so paltry, so pathetic. One guy in the booth, no replay. Maybe we should be grovelingly grateful there is a broadcast now at all, and I am. And I do love the game replay for a week. Certainly there are lots of often frozen games to cover with few fans in attendance, okay. But if you promote it, market it, they will come IMHO.

13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's frustrating, to be sure. What, ESPN ran out of cameras? The lack of replay seems especially jarring, since we've only had replay as a thing since the 1960s.

The guy who did the UVa v Radford game has done UVa games solo before, and I have to say, he really does as good a job as one person can. The game kind of bogged down and Radford was pretty successful parking the bus, so I have to admit I tuned out of the game a bit and started listening to the guy's patter. He really did give it the old college try.

Edit: I think it was Jason Patterson. He was pretty good.

14. EHaz

EHaz Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 23, 2017
    UNC announced it's class of 2020 and i saw that Ruby Grant, an English international signed. Not familiar with her but looks like Anson has secured a pipeline to England. Also picked up a super late committment from Paige Tolentino days before signing day. Really solid class

Heeligan2 repped this.
  15. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For people with airline miles on American and United, short-notice domestic round-trips are available for as little as 10,000 miles on American and 15,000 (I think) on United.

In my case, Grand Junction, Colorado to Raleigh, North Carolina to watch the Buffs and Tar Heels was $717 minimum, which means I’d be watching it on line. But I got the round trip for 10,000 miles on American.

Just a thought, if there are any Tar Heels in far-flung locations who would like to support your team in person but can’t or don’t want to pay the high short-notice airfare.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ruby is a very good young kid, attacking midfielder, selected at U-17 and U-18 level for England. Very dynamic and intelligent.

Last season as a 16 years old she played 198 minutes with the Arsenal first team getting 2 starts and 3 games as a sub including a hat-trick and player of the round in the FA Women's Cup.

This season Arsenal have signed more players so youngsters don't get games, she had one game as a sub for 25 minutes and plays mostly the Arsenal Academy games.

EHaz repped this.
  17. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    Where did you see this? Can't find it.

18. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm, I'm gonna need ya'll to go ahead and leave the international recruits alone ;)

[​IMG]

EHaz, UNCway and Glove Stinks repped this.
  19. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    UNC stopped going over 9 goals after a severe drubbing of Warren Wilson College back in the day. I have mixed feelings about the approach. I don't know their motivation, but the Stanford coach's decision to keep scoring helped increase the scoring statistics for individual players and for the team.

20. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very much enjoying my second day ever in North Carolina. It is beautiful here if you like trees. I like trees.

Here's what the Daily Tar Heel says about the game https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2019/11/unc-womens-soccer-ncaa-tournament-colorado-preview

The nine ties in The Buffs' conference record is a typo, it's two.

The team has an idea what we're up against today, we've already played Florida State, UCLA, USC and Stanford. I flew to Los Angeles to watch us amass two shots on the Bruins, none on goal. Perhaps I should have stayed home for this one. We did score in a 2-1 loss at USC but I wasn't there ... a pattern here? And don't remind me of the Florida State game, it has already been thoroughly discussed elsewhere.

I also drove to Salt Lake City to witness one shot on goal against Utah. Maybe they should pay me to stay home ...

uncchamps2012, UNCway and Heeligan2 repped this.
  21. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    As I said earlier on the Stanford thread, I believe the self-imposed nine goal rule began in the early to mid-1980s. There were a few games with double digit goals for UNC before then but not since. In watching some of those 9 -0 games I don't recall anyone thinking it was disrespectful, don't recall coaches or players of the other teams acting angry or hurt or offended. Carolina would continue to pass the ball, would keep going toward the goal, just would not take a shot. It seemed like a decent way to get to the end of an obvious mismatch.

There seem to be similar "rules" in other sports --- in a lopsided basketball game the coach is supposed to take the starters out, call off full-court press, run the shot clock down; in baseball, don't steal a base with a big lead; in football, don't pass, take a knee rather than try to score with the clock running down; and so on. Every softball league seems to have a skunk rule. I've not heard of the losing teams feeling disrespected in those situations, it's just a recognition on both sides that it's an uneven match, no need to rub it in.

What made the US women's national team performance against Thailand so offensive was the excessive celebrating that took place after each unnecessary goal.

22. EHaz

EHaz Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 23, 2017
    no official announcement but on their Instagram page they post pictures of all new and official players joining the team

23. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    Consistently, Goff will come in for Dorsey 2-3 minutes before the line change. Why does he do this rather than just bring in 7 instead of 6 at line change time?

Heeligan2 repped this.
  24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UNC 1 Colorado 0

So that's what a #1 team looks like. Impressive.

25. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Watched the second round games yesterday at UNC... The better teams won, but it was interesting.

Carolina dominated Colorado statistically but true to form for the last two times we played the Buffs (also second round games) the game could have gone either way. Their scrappy keeper Jalen Tompkins played out-of-her-mind brilliantly keeping the Buffs in the game. And 6'1" Taylor Kornieck was a consistent threat in the box.

Although not at their very best, the Heels played well, with lots of shots (20 with 10 on frame) but just couldn't get around Tompkins until Alessia's blast in the second half from the 18 --just inches inside the left post.

Sunday will be interesting. Michigan is a ball control team much like UNC. The Wolverines dominated the stats against Texas Tech, but gave up two goals --a sprint to the corned and a centering pass, and then late in the game a silly defensive error.

I must comment that as always, Buff fans seem to be friendly and great supporters of their team, and it is a pleasure to have long term Buff fan derbarkasmann here.

Heeligan2 repped this.