UNC 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 2, 2018.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    They are losing some great players, no doubt, but they have one helluva team coming back in 2019!

2. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    AND I want to add that the list of those great players also includes Jesse Scarpa who, along with Alessia Russo, I missed on the pitch this tournament run. I was hoping that she would make it back this year after all of her injuries and she was getting increasing playing time in the mid season. Let us not forget that she started immediately as a freshman, was All ACC frosh, All ACC first team as sophomore (and third team All American). She took off the next fall to play for the U20s where she started most games. Starting her redshirt junior year she was named as one of the pre-season best 11 by TDS, opened the season by scoring the winning goal against Duke, and then the injuries started. If her injuries had not taken her from the playing roster she would have started and would have been a great asset to this 2018 team.

uncchamps2012, Heeligan2 and cpthomas repped this.
  3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Can UNC beat Florida State when it matters?

Mark Krikorian has owned Anson Dorrance in recent years.
    Absolutely owned him.

Got Jukes? repped this.
  4. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    oh wow... somehow I thought Scarpa had used all her eligibility. So, she has another year? I think Ashley is the biggest loss. I think she is going to end up being someone like Jessica McDonald or Megan Klingenberg or Alley Long who were recognized as being strong players, but not truly elite college players, even when they were. Then they, esp Kling, showed what they were made of in the pros and US WNT.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I believe that Scarpa has no more elegibility left in that she got 15 minutes or more in about 8 or 10 games this past year before they pulled her out. I saw her play at VT and for the time she was in she did very well. I was delighted to see her good soccer brain at work with regard to reading the game and helping teammates and her skills seemed to be very much in tact, although she was a bit tentative when tackling. I thought at the time that she should be ready to go full bore by tournament season, but apparently she had a physical set-back and the staff pulled her to protect her future recovery.

If I am wrong about eligibility and she returns next year I will be thrilled, but I do NOT think that will happen. (Her mother was walking around yesterday carrying Jesse's bouquet of flowers... it looks like the end to me.)

6. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #6 Soccerhunter, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    just read the first roster for the new cycle of U20s... I am flabbergasted!

Usually the YNT rosters about contain 30% California girls (that'd be about 6 kids) --which has come to make sense for me in that CA has the largest population of soccer playing girls in the country AND top clubs to manage and train them.

But this new U20 roster of 20 has ONE California player -a deserving Reilyn Turner. Two from New Jersey and three from Texas are normal. BUT the little state of North Carolina which usually gets 1 player has FIVE players on this team. What the bleep is going on?

And, for the UNC class of 2019, three of the U20 players are coming to UNC. Abbey Allen (Texas), Maycee Bell (Kansas), and Tori Hansen (North Carolina) --all defenders.

(Note: The first roster of the new cycle is experimental. Next year later in the cycle maybe half of this initial roster will still be in the team gearing up for the CONCACAF qualifiers. By that time there should be a lot more California players on the team.

7. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    I heard a couple girls said "no thank you" to this U20 roster due to college finals this week & needing a break after NCAA tournament...

cpthomas repped this.
  8. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Early predictions for starting lineup?

9. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #9 Soccerhunter, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Yea, I could stab at it, but as always there would be surprises. I really think that only one frosh is likely to start next year from the huge class of mostly NC locals but I think that half of them will see significant playing time for a UNC freshman from the get go.

I think the Tori Hansen from Raleigh would be the most likely to start at right back. But she might yield to Maycee Bell (Kansas) if Maycee has improved a lot based on her coming to NC this last semester to play (with Tori and 4 other UNC recruits) on the Courage 18/19 team.

As always the roster will change as the season goes along but to start in August here is what I get:

GK: Claudia Dickey
    Backs: Fox, Bingham, Wubben-Moy, Hansen
    Mid: Russo, PInto, Otto
    Fwd: Shultz. Dowart, Andrezjewski

Ok, I know it's cheeky to put Russo as a mid, but I really do think that she is more effective as a left half. Her ideal shot range is about 18 to 20 yards and she was very successful as a frosh from that distance. I think the Dowart will develop nicely up front with headers and muscle. (But maybe switch Russo and Dowart?)

And the front line is subject to change, depending on who improves between now and next summer. Andrezjewski may need to be kick started again and dear Maddy (who I absolutely love to watch) could slow down a notch. If so Rachel Jones will be ready as will Hallie Klanke who is a quick scrappy forward. Isabell Brown could surprise, and Sydney may yet get it together and get serious PT. Zoe could regain her form... One never knows.

The principal subs are going to be:
    GK: a very capable Marzia Josephson as a back up to Claudia
    Backs: Morgan Goff, Maycee Bell, Julia Dorsey
    Mids: Morgan Goff, Mary Elliot McCabe, Maggie Pierce
    Fdws: Rachel J, Zoe, Sydney, Hallie Klanke, Aleigh Gabone, Isabella Brown

10. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I guess the most obvious answer is that UNC just has an incredible amount of talent, but I have wondered the last 2 years why Maddy Schultz does not start (unless someone is hurt). She just seems to make big plays so often, puts the ball on frame more often than most, and plays with such fire.

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Well, she has started the NCAA games, but her problem is that she runs out of gas after about 15 minutes and needs time to re-charge. She is a give's-it-her-all player and for her size quite fast. The deal she has for starting is to do what Anson has always asked of any player who wants to get significant playing time: defend. She is a natural forward and made a name for herself in high school in the Seattle area by making amazing runs up the field and scoring. But in those days at the high school level, it was not demanded that forwards play defense as hard as they tried to score. She has the message that defending will get her PT at UNC, and in her case starting, as she is a talented forward, and so she really puts out tremendous amounts of energy when she is on the field. You gotta love that attitude! (Anson does. He's very high on her.)

UNCway and uncchamps2012 repped this.
  12. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    This evening I watched the U20 friendly game against China. No surprise that Briana looked very solid in the midfield given that she has been improving all year at UNC. But what I really wanted to see was how the two new defenders who signed next year as Tarheels looked today. And the answer is, quite good.

Since we have a seriously large hole to fill with the departure of Julia at right back, these two girls are of prime interest. Tori Hansen is one of the 8 local kids from North Carolina (Raleigh). I thought she did quite well and has the instinct and tools to do the job. My impression is that she will have a steep learning curve to adapt to college soccer from what I saw to day, but she should come along.

The other defender is central defender Macee Bell. She is a tall slender player whose home is Kansas (Kansas Gatorade state POY in 2017) but has somehow been playing with the CASL (er.. NC Football Club) U18/19 squad this fall in Cary alongside Tori and 4 other kids who will be coming to UNC next fall. Macee is listed at 5'10" but looks even a bit taller on the screen as she plays. She looks fragile, but held up just fine and made some good stops and combined well with Tori. Neither of these defenders made any obvious mistakes.

It remains to be seen if they will remain on the U20 roster as the time goes by towards the U20 world cup in the fall of 2020. The coaching staff used this friendly series to look at a lot of new players and a lot of familiar expected names were not present. And speaking of coaching staff, I was not positively impressed at the continuous yelling of instructions coming from the bench. If I was a player I would have been really distracted. (For me this is soo different from watching Anson and his staff basically sitting or standing and quietly watching the game or comparing notes with one another.)

13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I enjoy putting together all-time teams at FSU.

Giving you guys history of greatness over the decades, do you dare undertake to make a all-time North Carolina team?

Your all-time third team would probably be beating other colleges all time first team in my opinion

14. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Been thinking about next fall....

The Heels have 9 rostered players graduating this year (plus Kate Morris who has been kept in the team family as an "Undergraduate Assistant Coach after it was clear that her injuries would not allow her to play) and I think that three of those departing players will be very hard to replace. In looking at the remaining roster and what I know about the incoming class, I just do not see anyone who can offer the team what starters Julia Ashley and Dorian Bailey have provided or what Annie Kingman has offered off the bench.

Athletic ability is one thing, but a calm and creative presence on the field coupled with a quick soccer brain is another. All three of these players offered this vital dynamic. Each had a field presence that allowed them to calmly (and competently) see through the traffic and creatively move the ball away form pressure and to advance the offensive effort. These were three great "leaders by example." I believe that Julia and Dorian will move on in professional soccer. While I understand that Annie, already in graduate school, will pursue another professional avenue.

The two other senior starters were Sam in goal and Alex at CF. While they were great role players, I think that there is upcoming talent that will fill those same roles. But for Dorian and Julia, who ever takes on their roles will, of course, have to have good technical skills, but is the mental aspects of the game that will be slowly developed.

15. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    My all time team is crystal Dunn at every position. She was ACC offensive player of the year, ACC defensive player of the year, and a Herman trophy winner plus a second place finish. I am sure she could play keeper too. So that’s my all time team and yes I think she could beat the first team for most colleges.

16. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    "and a lot of familiar expected names were not present." really ? Who? I can only think of one eligible name who was obviously missing. Naomi Girma.

17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    The point I am making is that the staff seems to purposefully be looking at some new faces. In particular they were again looking at defenders Tori Hansen who the U17s had dropped before the U17 WC and Maycee Bell who has lots of international experience at the U16, UI18, and U19 , but no CONCACAF or WC invites. So to answer your question, the "familiar names" I thought were missing from this initial U20 camp / friendlies were the U17 regulars who started on the CONCACAF and WC teams, and in particular defenders like Kennedy Wesley who is out with an ACL injury, but also healthy U17 veteran defenders such as Natalie Staude, Michela Agresti, or Smith Hunter. I expect that these names will get a look in the U20 mix soon enough, but that the staff wanted to look at what may be considered "outliers" first.
    Make sense?

18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    So its become a natural progression form the U17 to the 20s even if you play poorly?

19. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    In the way that I think that you are implying, I would hope not. I am not endorsing any specific practice of the USYNT coaches one way or the other. The only point that I tried to make is that I noticed at this first camp for the new cycle for the U20 team it seemed to me that more than typical in the past the staff had called in players that were not on previous youth world cup or on the qualifying teams for same. That's the only point I was making by that sentence that seems to have attracted your comments.

I was personally focused on the two defenders who will be coming to UNC next fall. I hadn't seen them play for over a year. In this context I noted that the names of defenders listed in my last response to you (who were all on the U17 team) were not at the camp. It was only an observation. Ultimately I do not know what it means that they were not there. I assume (rightly or wrongly) that those named players will be invited to future camps and I further assume that the two UNC bound kids may not ultimately make the CONCACAF or WC team in 2020 given their history so far. We shall see in two years.

20. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Guessing Sophie Smith would have been on U20's list...but also injured.

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Agreed, but she will be fully recovered by later this year and by 2020 should have her fitness back and and will be invited to a U20 camp, IMO.

By the time the U20- WC qualifiers start, there will have been perhaps 35 to 40 kids who will have been given a look. And then after CONCACAF and before the WC, there will be others looked at too.

BUT all of this is not to imply that our youth teams should be winning WC tournaments. The US should be competitive, but there is too much talent around the world to think that the US should dominate at the youth level. The US senior team chould continue to do well even if the youth deals do not. As as been pointed out by cpthomas, the US senior team can continue to win even as the various US youth teams do not. If the average longevity of the top US players is 10 years, then this means that Jill Ellis only has to find the right 2.2 players per year on the average to keep the team strong. Mostly those players will be developing in the various pro leagues (and from the NWSL in particular). If only one player comes to the senior team from the U20s 2-year each cycle, that would be great. Combine that with another 2 players over the cycle and maybe one young pro developing such that she shines with the u23, and you have most of what is needed to replenish the US senior team.

22. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Thats sort of my point. Not an attack on you.

"I assume (rightly or wrongly) that those named players will be invited to future camps and I further assume that the two UNC bound kids may not ultimately make the CONCACAF or WC team in 2020 given their history so far."

We have to get away from selecting based on familiarity. Its self fulfilling. I would hope that the kids were not selected ( injuries aside) because the performances they put out were not worthy of selection at this time. And furthermore, the "scouts" are continuing to look for better players.

History so far is no predictor of the future ;)

23. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    i excluded injured kids. I believe Girma declined

24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    so is failing to exit the group stage in 3 of the last 4 WC competitive ?

25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    this thinking is very flawed.The 10 year cycle you are basing it on is history. as soccer nations like Spain, England, Portugal, Netherlands etc invest, the US are going to have to develop better and younger players a lot faster. You cannot continue to win and stand still.