UNC 2014

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 1, 2013.

1. ShouldaCouldaWoulda

ShouldaCouldaWoulda New Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Gamecock Stats ‏@GamecockStats 20m20 minutes ago
    Stat of the Day @GamecockWSoccer only school with active series edge vs. North Carolina in women’s soccer #Gamecocks

[​IMG]

2. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your comments and I hope you get to see them again in Boca.

There isn't anything wrong with being a homer.

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  3. GrassTopper

GrassTopper Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Paterno coached until he was 85.
    I could see Anson going another 14 years, he'd be 76.

4. JerseyFootball

Dec 15, 2012
    According top drawer soccer these players were 5 star recruits
    Emily Bruder 5 goals
    Summer Green 2 goals
    Amber Munerlyn 3 goals
    Joanna Boyles 3 goals
    Megan Buckingham 4 goals

Keep in my mind for people who take that site serious.

5. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Summer Green was compared to Lindsay Tarpley coming out of high school. How's that for a laugh?

6. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green is a special player. I am not sure if it is a crisis of faith in herself but she was impressive in the Gamecock game. Quick feet and an explosive shot. Unfortunately for her, but good for us, those shots weren't on target.

7. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I still feel like Green is going to end up living up to her billing, even if she is not the next Lindsey Tarpley. I am hoping she has a great senior season.

8. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I'm hoping Joanna Boyles turns into the next Laurie Schwoy . What's chances of that happening?

9. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    are you really Lorrie Fair?

10. Lorrie Fair

Lorrie Fair Member

Jul 31, 2010
    No.

It's pretty simple people, if Anson doesn't change his system or recruit players that fit his system they won't be going to the college cup and competing for a national title.

It's up him to stop being stubborn and adjust to current landscape.

11. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    This site...that site....YNT......etc..... These players are being rated when they are 14, 15, 16, and 17 years old. There are many factors that can change with the player that does not show in their ranking. A 14 year old 4 or 5 star player may peak out by the time she is 17. A phenom at 15 may never get any better while other 2, 3, or 4 star players catch up and surpass that 5 star or YNT star. Why are they continually held to a higher standard they cannot reach? Why are lower rate players that shine coming into college not getting any recognition because we are too worried about the youth stars who are struggling? I wonder how much pressure SG carries feeling she has to live up to her star billing that came from scoring 5 goals during a U17 game against a very weak team. A team that the USA keepers could have scored 5 against if given the equal chance as Summer. So much has been expected of her over a stat that was so overblown to begin with. The same could be said about all your listed players, along with many other "stars" not living up to their expected potential. MA is getting limited playing time this year. This does not mean they are not special players- they all are fantastic players. It just needs to be put in perspective to relieve some of the pressure off these girls. Maybe then they could actually reach a better potential, and maybe they are as good as they can get and need to accept that, along with their fans.

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Last I looked that didn't end well....

13. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    It's up to you to stop impersonating a player.
    Good gracious, if Anson never wins another game, he is still clearly still the best coach in the history of college soccer. He didn't just go 0-20. They were regular season co-champs in the acc and lost to an excellent team that played extremely well. they earned a #2 seed. They tied the defending champs on their home field. They return ten starters. Life will go on.

14. GrassTopper

GrassTopper Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    #789 GrassTopper, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    UNC will be preseason #1 next year.
    UCLA, Stanford, Florida State, Virginia, and Texas A&M lose a ton of good players.
    Stanford does bring a few good players back, plus they have a lot of young talent still waiting in the wings.
    Virginia loses Brian and Colaprico. A&M loses most of their top players. UCLA loses about 9 great players.

UNC #1
    Stanford #2

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an NCAA perspective, everyone starts pre-season at zero.

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    From a reality perspective teams returning 8 or more 'starters' from a highly competitive team should have an advantage going into the next season.

17. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    it is great to have players coming back and I have a lot of faith in the returning group. however, I am not sure that those who vote on pre-season rankings (which are interesting, but of course, don't matter) will necessarily view returning a lot of players from a team that lost in the third round as the #1 returning squad.
    I certainly do hope 2015 is the year for UNC. If they don't win next year, it will be the first time they have ever gone 3 years without winning a title. That's quite a challenging legacy to uphold.

I think it is funny the way that coaches are judged by some. If Anson simply rearranged the order of his championships, I think the ones who are so critical of him would still think he is a genius. I have never been nearly intense of a UNC basketball fan as I have been a UNC soccer fan, but consider that Dean Smith won only 2 NCAA championships and is soooo reverred. He was praised for his consistency of getting them to the Sweet 16 for 20 something years in a row and for running a clean program, etc. I don't recall him being lambasted for not winning every year. Maybe he was by basketball afficionados. But, having extreme success causes a coach to be judged by a different, and ultimately unrealistic, standard. I don't recall Dean Smith being called "stubborn" for sticking to his methods.

18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    It's certainly not fair, but it is real
    FSU's oblong football team is being judged by last year's Standards.
    Mind you, that is after one championship

Each time Anson wins a championship, expectations grow.
    That is not fair, but it is human nature of fans!
    Teams that play North Carolina every year have benefited from having to face high pressure defense.
    FSU has had to recruit and coach players to be able to handle that pressure.
    Consequently, we are better than we would've been had we not had to face the Tar Heels annually!

As far as next year's preseason rankings, I take them as seriously as I do soccer recruiting rankings.

19. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Preseason rankings are ridiculously inaccurate but when has a championship team not had a recruiting class ranked #1 by Soccerhunter?

20. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Just wanted to finish off the 2014 thread with the note that Satara Murray did receive NSCAA All American mention and has signed a professional contract to play with Liverpool. Given what Anson has said, we may look for Brooke Elby to sign to play in Europe too, once her ACL is healed.

A big thank you to all of the departing seniors. Not only Satara and Brooke, but also Bianca Gray, Sarah Thompson, Kat Nigro (who I understand will be graduating with her class even though she was technically a red shirt junior this year), and, one of my favorites, Taylor Ramirez, who I always enjoyed seeing on the pitch!

And so with many thanks and appreciation for the 2014s, it's on to 2015!

england66 and uncchamps2012 repped this.
  21. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I second your thoughts about the seniors, Soccerhunter. I would also mention Caitlin Ball in this class who unfortunately had to retire last year because of concussions--a first team Academic All-American, and, not incidentally, the player whose return from injury in 2012 allowed the genie that was Crystal Dunn to come out of the bottle to lead her troops to a championship.

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I have enjoyed the banter and dialogue on the thread this season. Thanks to all who contributed. Have a happy and safe holiday season and you can be sure I will be back next season (God willing):D

23. SoccerGuru2015

SoccerGuru2015 New Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Bridgette Andrzejewski is the sister of Ali Andrzejewski. Saw both of them play in the State of Maryland. Never got to coach them but coached against them.

Bridgette was Elected National Player of the year for High School. She was unstoppable and fun to watch. If Anson pushes her the right direction, I can see her having a shot at the USWNT.

I'm surprised she committed to UNC so early.

What's everyones prediction for the 2015 season? UVA and PSU look SOLID!