UMD's Defense Named One of Nation's Best

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by terp fan, Sep 25, 2003.

1. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    College Soccer News named Maryland's backline of GK Noah Palmer, Clarence Goodson, Seth Stammler, Kenny Bertz and Chris Lancos one of the five best in country. They have 6 shutouts in eight games and have conceded only two goals while defending their #1 ranking.

http://www.collegesoccernews.com/page246.html

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    My reaction to this is "duh!"

Two goals in eight games, two starting center backs that MLS wants and a right back and GK who might make it as well along with a big physical enforcer type as the left back.

Oh, and there all back from a title in the country's toughest conference and a run to the Final Four. Of course they'd be among the best.

Now, if they weren't one of the nation's best defenses, then you'd have some news. Not good news, but news none the less.

3. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
    Be still, my heart.........

John

4. FritoBandito

FritoBandito New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    US
    keeper question...

so why isn't the UMD keeper on the U20 side? I've had some discussions with others that have mentioned he should be, so I thought I'd ask. Hmmmm....

5. EatHoHos

EatHoHos New Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Re: keeper question...

I agree here. It's been mentioned before that at least one of the keepers on the U20 is highly marketed. Take a look at the UNC soccer web site. It mentions that the keeper and his defensive mates are allowing approximately .7 goals / gm. If you take away the fact that a freshman started the first few games and look into the statistics, you see that actually 5 goals have been allowed in 6 games.

6. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: keeper question...

Noah Palmer the UMD GK is not age eligible, his dob is 4-21-83.

7. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    Twerp Fan is a joke

Twerp, get a clue. Even your buddy Sandon is trying to tell you enough with the "nothing threads". I know you don't get it, but you are the biggest joke on these boards. When you were talking at AJ the other day (name drop skills), did you happen to notice how many players and friends of players were laughing in their armpits at you?

8. k1v1n

k1v1n New Member

May 4, 2002
    Re: Re: keeper question...

Palmer was in with the U-20s early on. He is age eligible being an 83.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the reason Palmer - who IS eligible for the U20 team, as is any other player born in 83 - hasn't gotten more of a look from Rongen is that he isn't one of the two or three best GKs in the 83-84 age group.

I doubt anyone would argue that Steve Cronin is the consensus top GK in this age group. After that, you've got Williams, Schuerman and Baumstark whom Rongen prefers ahead of Palmer.

Palmer got a couple of chances to out perform them and, in Rongen's eyes, he didn't do it. At college games and youth national teams, I've talked to a lot of people in college soccer, MLS and the youth national teams and have never heard anyone say that Palmer is getting screwed by Rongen by not being further up the depth chart.

I also think there are several other 83-84 GKs in college who are just as good as Palmer but play for lower profile programs like Andrew Weber of New Mexico, Chris Dunseath of Bradley and Brad Guzan of South Carolina.

Palmer is a good college goalkeeper but his numbers this year are very largely because of the four defenders, and defensive MF Scott Buete, who pla in front of him. We shouldn't confuse G.A.A. with talent.

10. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Re: Twerp Fan is a joke

It must be difficult living in College Park and being a terp hater. Do yourself a favor and when you see a UMD thread don't read it. Speaking of nothing to say, what have you supplied to this board other than bitching and crying because I obviously embarrassed you and hurt your little feelings at some point.
    We can only hope that we have heard your lastword. Here's a tip, why don't you change your name again and get a new start so people won't think dork everytime they see lastword.