UMD - St. John's (R)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by JohnW, Dec 3, 2004.

1. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
  2. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    The mighty Terps try to book their third straight trip to the College Cup Final Four today when they meet St. John's at Ludwig Feild with Kickoff at 1pm. Maryland has won 9 straight NCAA games at home but St. John's seems to have their number after knocking the Terps out of the tournament the last two times they met. It should be a great game is a super atmosphere with probably only a one goal difference between these two.
    I'll go with my Terps 2-1 in a battle worthy of a final.

3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Re: UMd v St. Johns [R]

Any find on-line radio for this game?

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think the Terps are the better team but St. John's is no stranger to quarterfinals, either, as they are going for their third FF in four years. I have a nasty suspicion that this game will look much like last year's game in Columbus: A Noah Palmer mistake costs the team and then despite getting far more chances, they can't covert.

I like Dave Masur, but I hope I'm wrong. It would be nice to see all that offensive talent of the Terps make it to a national showcase. It would be good for college soccer.

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Looks like 2 threads - maybe a mod can merge.

Anyone find internet radio - seems like wmucsports.com is not working - or am I in the wrong place?

6. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    It doesn't even seem like the NCAA site has a livestats update even going? Does anyone know what is going on?

7. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

It doesn't even seem like the NCAA site has a livestats update even going? Does anyone know what is going on?

8. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

I feel like I am in Bizzaro World.... nothing seems to be working!

9. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    I feel like I am in Bizzaro World.... nothing seems to be working!

10. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul

You are correct. Nothing is working.

I know that on some of the games, the NCAA retains the broadcast rights--although I know last year I listened to the Md v SLU quarterfinal. So I don't know if it's just the radio station.

The NCAA site isn't working either. I checked the St John's site and it also directs you to NCAA.

I guess we'll have to wait for a recap from someone at the game :(

11. Damon

Damon Member

Jul 1, 2001
    Evansville, IN, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does the stupid scoreboard on ncaasports.com always seem to take most of the first 1/2 to get goin'?
    Anybody have an update?

12. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    All that offensive Terp talent sure came up empty in the Creighton game. Too bad that game had to end in a shootout. Disgusting way to end a game.

13. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Maryland wins 1-0 on a AJ Godbolt header in the 73rd minute. I'll get more details up later.

14. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    It was a very tight game with very few good chances for either side. First half was highly unspectacular, with St. John's never truly threatening, and Maryland having trouble breaking down the Johnnie defense. Best chance came when Abe Thompson got the ball wide in the box about 15 yards out, but Gaudette handled it easily. At one point AJ Godbolt got behind the defense about parallel with the 6 yard box and appeared to be pulled down, but the ref called play-on. Couldn't see what happened next, but the result of all that was Godbolt getting cautioned for shoving Gaudette to the ground. Scariest moment in the half as a Terp fan was on a cross. The ball was sent in from the left flank, but no one was there. Palmer went to catch the ball, but fumbled it, and the ball squirted quickly toward the goal line. Thankfully Noah got to it and it was going wide anyway, but not a good moment for the nerves.

Second half was really a lot more of the same. Groenwald had one good semi-break, but Noah got down to smother the shot. I'm really not sure if he had to make any other saves. The goal sequence started on the right side where Lancos hit a driven cross into the middle. It was too tall for everyone though, and ran to the sideline. Either King or Mediate got over to the ball before it went out and swung the ball back across the face of the goal. Gaudette was never going to be able to get to it, and Godbolt was able to stretch backward and get his head on the ball, driving it down and between the legs of a sliding Gaudette for the only score of the game. St. John's had a couple good rushes in the dying minutes, but the ref called diving in the box on one of their players with about 30 seconds to go, and that effectively ended the game.

Great crowd today too. They brought in two big temporary stands that they placed in the corners on the bench side. Every seat was filled and there were people sitting on the grass hill and standing all around the field. Not sure what the attendance was announced at since the sound system is not up to par. St. John's had a lot of representation at the game too. It looked like their cheerleaders were there, some of the pep band, and a good bloc of students as well. I was impressed how many of them made the trip.

Now its off to LA to try to finish this tournament off right finally.

15. nymetrostars2002

nymetrostars2002 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    bronx ny
    crap , that sucks.

16. DP_elyanqui

DP_elyanqui New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    vagabond
  17. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Thanks for the game summary, gs.

Apparently Westwood One owns the rights to the NCAA championships and the campus station didn't broadcast it--at least it wasn't available in streaming audio.

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Emmet Kipengwe

Aug 15, 2004
    Maryland

A great game. Back and forth, end to end.
    MD dominated possession, but the chances at goal were pretty even.
    Gaudette didn't miss saving the goal by much. It was just a great effort by Mediate and Godbolt.
    Stephen King, #7 for MD, is a fine player and just a freshman.
    St. John's has nothing to be ashamed of. They played well. MD was just a little better.

20. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My son and I will be there to root the Terps on Friday and Sunday.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Congrats to Sasho and the Terps. After losing two MLS first round draft picks and two second rounders from a team that made two straight Final Fours, it is a very special and impressive accomplishment for the Terps to be back.

At the beginning of the season, I figured they'd have a lot of firepower but questioned whether the defense, which lost two from the backline plus their starting D-mid, would be good enough to get them through the NCAAs.

And, through the first 12 games, it appeared they might not be as they had given up 17 goals, a rate which wasn't going to get them very far in the NCAAs. But, in the 12 games since, including the three in the NCAA Tournament, they've only allowed six goals, none in the NCAAs, and are 10-1-1.

So, hats off to the Terps and to Cirovski, who did a nice job of coaching and making some mid-season adjustments to get Maryland from being a leaky defensive team to a very solid one.

22. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/05/sports/soccer/05storm.html

COLLEGE PARK, Md., Dec. 4 - A year ago, St. John's kicked Maryland out of the men's College Cup, soccer's version of the basketball Final Four. On Saturday, Maryland exacted its revenge. Maryland midfielder A. J. Godbolt scored on a header in the 73rd minute as the Terrapins beat St. John's, 1-0, and ended the Red Storm's N.C.A.A. run in the quarterfinals. The crowd of 4,404, the second largest in Ludwig Field history, included a boisterous group of St. John's fans who traveled nearly five hours by bus from New York.

Maryland will play in the College Cup semifinals on Friday in Carson, Calif., against the winner of the Indiana-Tulsa game, set for Sunday.

23. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Very intense game and most of my fellow posters covered it pretty well. This morning my thoughts are that we've been to this stage of the party three straight times now and it time to go all the way and not just make the Final Four. I think the team and staff feels the same way because there was no great celebration like the last two years yesterday because there's still business to do. GO TERPS!

24. cusoccer82

cusoccer82 Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Denver, CO

Good luck to Maryland out in LA! Its still a bitter pill to swallow after my Jays lost the PK thriller last week, but thats unfortunately how the draw worked out. I think you guys have a good chance of pulling it off, the X-factor is this UCSB team that sounds unlike most college teams we're used to seeing with their physical presence and expertise on set pieces. The winner of the IU-Tulsa game won't lay down either, should make for a great semi-final match.

25. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    IU beats Tulsa 4-0 so it should be great game next Friday between two of the best programs in the country when the Hoosiers and Terps meet.