Umbro picks up CSA kit deal

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Chiqui Arce, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What he meant was "dat we're none too bright here, eh?" :)

2. chec

chec Member

Feb 9, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Trinidad and Tobago

Not a bad kit. But the chevron on the home kit should just be white and the pants as well. The chevron on the away kit should just be red and the pants as well.

The red/black combo looks to much like a T&T kit.

3. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Simple as in modest, humble, etc. The old jersey did not try to please everyone (it probably didn't please a lot of people) because of the diversity that you mentioned, but it was red and it was white. It wasn't unique, could probably be reused as a warmup jersey for a semi pro league, but if Canada had played better under the Addidas years you could probably add stuff like the design they put on the Finland jersey, or a different colour on the collar, etc. It was a good base.

Yeah, so finely embroidered the red jersey that its barely visible from far away.

Seriously though, not reading the press release, I just randomly guessed it might be some allusion to the mounties (red shirt, black pants). The chevron could have been anything though. It could even be a shout out to the Voyageurs for all we know.

Like I said either here or on CSN, the white one is ok but the red one is really bad. I would perfer the white one to be used as the primary kit.

4. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I like PUMA stuff...ala Czech rep. sets...

http://nv.fotbal.cz/shop/index.php

Nice kind of national symbol right in thre fabric,simple crest and national colours on the sides under armpits etc...

5. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They've already changed the embroidery on the jerseys to give the Canada patch a white background so that it's visible. I think the word "Canada" is now in black, too.

6. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i cant believe how many people hate this, especially considering our history of bad team-wear. you have no sense of style! it's a timeless design, not great..but good, and the addition of black was being begged for.

the man city "criticism" is irrelevant btw, and if you claim it to be relevant, you're being ironic/hilarious. yes you're laughing at yourself lol i know so meta right.

7. billycanuck

billycanuck New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I posted this in another thread, but the logo has got to go.

Yes the kit design is better than the previous embarrassing attempts (the Score design! Ouch my eyes and WTF?!), but it still looks of low quality. However, I will probably still purchase one to help support CSA and keep dreaming of a WC.

8. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Here's a somewhat crude mock-up I made a while ago as a template for what Soccer Canada could use if they wanted a logo more like Rugby Canada or Hockey Canada:

[​IMG]

9. billycanuck

billycanuck New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I was doing a little browsing of international leagues tonight and to my surprise I thought I saw a photo of Team Canada, but realized that it was actually Dundalk FC from the Irish Premier League. Seems that Umbro used the exact design from Dundalk for Canada's kits. :(
    http://www.dundalkfc.com/shamrock-rovers-v-dundalk-preview

[​IMG]

10. MrVillan

MrVillan Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They're not the only ones. I forget which country they were in exactly (eastern European somewhere), but there are definitely multiple teams using those Umbro chevrons.

11. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    sweet find billycanuck, interesting. i'd still rather have this than something original, which is shit. but i mean what's original by now anyways.

12. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Larke polka dots would be original ... original is probably not what we are looking for!

13. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I find it interesting that people are complaining that a few obscure teams around the world use the same template as Canada when our last adidas jersey was an off the shelf rec jersey, that you could buy from any soccer store for $40, with a CSA patch sewn on and sold for $100.

14. MrVillan

MrVillan Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just because the previous deal was woeful doesn't necassarily mean you should be happy with any random thing.

Having said that, I'm getting the feeling that there'll be a new kit next year. I've seen it listed as the 2011 in places which will often show as 2011/12 if indeed it is being used for both years. Next year is also the CSA's centennial, Umbro will hopefully want to do something special.

15. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This kit was pushed down the CSA's throat by Paul Dolan...he is the sales rep. for Umbro in Canada as he has access to CSA{he is a goalie coach fro te Men's team}

16. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It was all but said at the unveiling party in Toronto that there would be a new and special centennary shirt on the horizon and that this shirt is filler. Please note that this was not sad but implied but it makes total sense along with the rumours of England and France playing Canada as part of the centennary year celebrations.

17. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Miro, if you are going to make an accusation like this, you'd better have proof. If so, please post this proof for all to see.

If you have no proof, you are best to keep these accusations to yourself.