Ulysses' Odyssey, cont'd: Llanez at SKN St. Pölten

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2018.

1. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    From what I can tell, there were only 12 players in the Bundesliga that are 19 and younger (transfermarkt age) that got >100 minutes in the Bundesliga this year.

Only four had 1,000 minutes -- Davies, Haaland, Rabbi Matondo and an outside back named Noah Katterbach. One more, Jann Thielmann (Katterbach and Thielmann play for Koln) has over 500 minutes.

But that's it, unless I ran my search wrong.

I have no idea if Wolfsburg is a good place for Llanez, but he doesn't seem particularly behind the curve yet.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  2. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had a heck of a time trying to filter players by age and position. I am really interested to see how the average and minimum ages of CDs differ from attacking players. I just found a tab for Youngest and Oldest Players... you have to cycle through to see and there are no averages but it is kind of cool.

At any rate, Uly isn't behind yet IMO. He can start the next season on the U23 and try and make his case for first team minutes. But if he can't get on the field by the 2nd half of the season then he is going to be falling behind.

charlie kennan and gogorath repped this.
  3. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I don't see a scenario where Uly won't get minutes starting in the Fall. He's dominated every youth level they have thrown at him and I really don't see the U23's being a problem for him. I would expect they have him starting out as a substitute given how slowly they've brought him along, and playing the lionshare of his minutes with the U23s.

glutton4Bolts and gogorath repped this.
  4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am gonna rep ya and just hope that you are correct. He should have a chance to make an impression during summer workouts. Also, since they finished 7th in the BDL... don't they have to play those brutal early round Europa League Games? Perhaps he will get a shot there?

5. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Fair points. I wonder how the list grows if you include players who got 300+ minutes or at least 200+. I’d have to guess players like Reyna then make the list.

Our expectations over the winter break (at least mine) were that Llanez would see about as many minutes as Reyna.

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I had the link, but I'd have to find it again.

There's more, but only 12 above 100 minutes.

There's a bunch with like 30 minutes -- maybe it gets up to 20-25 with the threshhold being 0.

7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Uly's dad seems ok with the situation. Further up on the thread, he stated on friday that he would be playing tomorrow. So it appears Uly knew wasnt going to get on and that was there just for the experience.

sXeWesley, eliwood, sakibomb523 and 5 others repped this.
  8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Where did you find that on Transfermarkt? I can't find a leaguewide stat sheet on there anywhere, but I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

On WhoScored, the list is:

2000+ minutes
    Alphonso Davies

1000+ minutes
    Noah Katterbach (Koln)
    Rabbi Matondo (Schalke)
    Erling Braut Haland

500+ minutes
    Jan Thielmann (Koln)

250+ minutes
    Florian Wirtz (Leverkusen)
    Giovanni Reyna
    Joshua Zirkzee (Bayern)
    Paulinho (Leverkusen)
    Jonathan Burkardt (Mainz)

90+ minutes
    Can Bozdogan (Schalke)
    Max Beier (Hoffenheim)
    Nick Woltemade (Bremen)

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    So, I literally googled it and it brought me to some weird page that was ranking players by minutes played versus total available team minutes or something. It did allow you to filter by group.

I think it's actually for seeing who played every minute in the Bundesliga, but it sortable, so you can get the other info out of it.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/1-bundesliga/dauerbrenner/wettbewerb/L1

That's why I wasn't certain it was right but seems to line up with whoscored.

SloterHaus and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What an odd way for that information to be listed. Thanks!

gogorath repped this.
  11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    The scenario is obvious.They think they have someone better than him.

Thundering165 repped this.
  12. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlie Kennan informed us in the Adam Armour Academy thread that US Citizens can travel to Europe if said citizen is set to live there. He also cited Uly recently returning to Germany as an example. Got me thinking about when the BDL Teams would start training for next season. Wolfsburg has a two day training session set for the 25th and 26th of this month:

https://www.vfl-wolfsburg.de/en/teams/first-team/training-schedule/

Must be some sort of mini-camp as the actual season won't start until Sept 18th (tentative: https://www.insidesport.co/bundesliga-german-leagues-2020-21-season-can-start-from-sep-18th/)

This is going to be such a crucial year for Uly. I really hope the coach gives him an ample opportunity to shine.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably better for a Summer Transfers thread, but the general rule is that someone with an EU passport _or_ a resident permit is allowed to enter the EU (there will be some variability by country). Most players who have been in Europe will be allowed to stay. This may answer some questions about players outside the EU who are invited to sign a contract (the question being can a residency permit/visa be issued from outside the country).

This is mostly hurt players who need to go on trials. Until the ban is lifted (by country or the entire EU), Americans without an EU passport or visa won't be able to go bouncing around to find a club. Of course, a country could grant exceptions for football, but we'll have to assume that won't be the case for now.

largegarlic repped this.
  14. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Wolfsburg is still in Europa league, they play Shaktar in early August.

15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right... rep. I forgot about that. Down 2-1 going into the 2nd leg.

16. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  17. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
  18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a couple inches taller than his dad.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yup if he doesn’t get playing time when there’s a run of regular season congestion and Europa League then we have reason to worry.

I’m optimistic this is when we see him get a chance or two and prove his worth. We know he has the quality, but it’s his &@$% coach who doesn’t want to take a small risk.

20. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    uly permanently promoted to the first team. will be with the II team for consistent game time.

translation: In addition, with Lino Kasten, Julian Justvan, Luca Horn, Ulysses Llanez, Iba May, Omar Marmoush and John Yeboah, seven players will play season preparation with the professionals. They are all players who are "also in the U23 grid", as Bürger says, but where they will be used in the coming season will still have to be revealed, the coach says, but adds: "That is very good gratifying and also a message to the others that it is possible to come to the professionals. "

https://www.sportbuzzer.de/artikel/...-so-sieht-der-kader-des-vfl-ii-jetzt-aus/amp/

21. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Uly the youngest player here by three months (Kasten being the other). The rest are in their 20s.

comoesa and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about that. Uly’s dad is just a little farther back in the picture.

comoesa repped this.
  23. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And his dad has a limp.

comoesa repped this.
  24. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    ICYMI
    1283106149303226370 is not a valid tweet id

25. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    Between him and Konrad man I remember the Johan Smith @ Bolton days. We've come a LOOOONG way.

sXeWesley repped this.