Ulysses' Odyssey, cont'd: Llanez at SKN St. Pölten

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2018.

1. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I agree but some people are still believers.

2. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesnt look like Uly's going to play anytime soon

3. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
  4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Further evidence that the USMNT is not considered "adult football?"

5. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Brian Kleiban is still a believer, so if he thinks it’s possible that door is not closed permanently.

6. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm not sure what the question was, but this comment was in an article about the upcoming game. So, anytime soon, is probably at least this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the remainder of the year though, but who knows. Sounds like VFL is decimated with injuries at the moment. Anyway, patience. No big deal if he doesn't get minutes the rest of the year. At the least he's taken a step just by being with the first team.

largegarlic and charlie kennan repped this.
  7. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Not liking the “hasn’t played one adult game yet” excuse. Unless he’s showing in training that he isn’t ready yet and/or needs more time with the first team.

I do hope he gets some minutes towards the end of the season at least. I doubt Wolfsburg have Europa League ambitions.

8. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Hard to catch a game at VFL these days for a young player. I remember when freaking Kamani Hill was featuring. Let the kid play.

9. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah I hear excuses, Dortmund bout to play a 15 yr old and here they are timid to play 19yr old

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  10. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    I don't think Glasner was the decision-maker when it came to promoting Llanez. We shouldn't forget that this is Glasner's first job in a top European league. He was under a lot of pressure before the winter break.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I feel like Uly and Konrad are both skillful but a notch below in athleticism. If one of them has a good European career, it will be a blessing.

12. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    llanez looked plenty athletic playing against france at the u20s. konrad in that match looked like a boy playing against men by comparison

13. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    No Llanez on the bench today unfortunately. Maybe in a couple weeks he will.

twoolley and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Wolfsburg’s wingers were awful today so maybe that can help the coach make up his mind.

15. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    It's unfortunate that the U19 league was canceled. Doesn't have that chance to make more noise from the youth team.

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "He hasn't debuted in an adult game, therefore he shouldn't debut in an adult game". Circular logic and could be used in perpetuity.

It's one thing if we're talking about the league being on the line, but we're not. So this should add to the concern about Wolfsburg integrating him or others who perform.

Too bad Kayo signed there too. Our players shouldn't transfer in bulk until they know a club can be trusted to manage young talent, like BVB.

17. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I’m not 100% sure what “a different wind” meant with respect to first team training but if I had to guess the coach is really saying he needs more time training with the first team before he gets game time.

we all want him to play but it is a serious step up speed of play wise and he might need a few weeks of training first.

18. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether it works out or not, I can’t help but wonder WTH it was with Wolfsburg that made these prospects go there. It’s not like the team cares about youth. It’s not like they have a long history with Americans. It’s not like they are the top team in Germany. A lot of teams would’ve loved to get these played, yet they were the ones who succeeded. Is there some agent/former US player connection I don’t know about?

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a relationship w/ Kleiban, but tmk Kayo isn't one of his clients. I guess he's just following his youth teammates like KHF who are.

Since Kayo went to Wolfsburg, he might as well just hire Kleiban. Because if the club is going to favor any Americans, it's his clients.

If they perform and don't get opportunities, these were terrible moves, and it will be scandalous for a class guy such as Gary to have directed players there.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Berhalter is friends with someone at the club.

21. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    On the contrary, I think both will have European careers. If one of them has a USMNT career it will be exactly what you would expect. Young guys that are playing up a cycle typically become some of our better prospects. Uly missed being eligible for the next U-20 World Cup by two and a half months. Let's look at our guys historically that have been in a similar position.

2019- Araujo and Konrad

2017- Sargent and Brady Scott eligible for 2019. Scott made the 2019 roster and you know about Sargent. Tyler Adams plays at the same age (missing 2019 cut off by three months)

2015-Cameron Carter-Vickers. Makes the 2017 squad. Erik Palmer-Brown same within three month cut off.

2013- Kellyn Acosta and Steffen. Both made the 2015 roster.

2011- DNQ

2009- Interesting that this is the first year we see a break in trend. Considering we didn't qualify in 2011. Gale Agbossoumonde and Dillon Powers were the young guys.

2007- Jozy Altidore and Brian Perk. Perk made the 2009 roster. Altidore was with the big guys.

2005- Freddy Adu, Nathan Sturgis, and Danny Szetela. Adu dominated the 2007 competition and earned a move to Benfica. Sturgis and Szetela both made the 2007 team that went really deep. Szetela moved to Italy after but ya know just all time prospect disappointment.

2003- 14 year old Freddy Adu

So yeah. I expect both of them to either make the 2021 roster OR be playing with the full men's national team. It's kind of the clear trend.

Now are Konrad/Uly going to be more Danny Szetela or Kellyn Acosta or Jozy Altidore?

Nobody knows, but it's going to take some years for both of them I feel to make any final predictions.

I like Uly better FWIW, but I think this conversation is better put off for another two years or so.

22. charlie kennan

charlie kennan Red Card

Feb 23, 2020
    i’ve heard multiple times that academy director pablo thiam is changing the philosophy at the club in bringing in talent and making them first team player. this types of thing take time so i wouldn’t be worried yet. fwiw khf had a handful of options

23. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he did but it’s hard to be too optimistic about any of their prospects right now when they have a coach who just doesn’t have any immediate interest in playing prospects, regardless of what the academy director thinks. Admittedly, I haven’t spent much time watching them play much this year, but every report I see says the same thing... the attack is anemic and the wingers underperform. Yet still no debut for Llanez

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i agree.

but there may be a reason.

go to 14:16.

25. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    felix klaus just got red carded