Uli Hesse-Lichtenberger Thread

Discussion in 'Germany' started by eissman, Mar 19, 2007.

1. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That must be why he is considered top 5 in the world and a tactical genious. ;)

2. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

He got that info from Paul Breitner's controversial 1980 book Ich will kein Vorbild sein ("I don't want to be a rolemodel").

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What were those "band-aid" looking things on players' earlobes that appeared for a while?

4. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Atheltic tape to cover the George Michael dual-earring fade of the 1980s...
    [​IMG]

5. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Uli's latest

The Swabian Connection......
    Rather dull article. Seems like he wrote it for the sake of writing a a periodic article. Not upto the lofty standard that he has set for himself.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me it was new info, and I enjoyed it.

7. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Klinsmann is Schwabian too, so where does that leave his Schwabisch theory now?:cool:

8. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Somewhere else I've read a similar piece recently (dunno where though), but there the author actually tied the current crop Swabian coaches together. They all had some kind of connection to the coaching staff of VfB Stuttgart youth program.
    Stuttgart's youth division was apparently the first place in Germany where the modern, fast paced kinda game was introduced and very successfully so. This philosophy was systematically implemented and the coaches involved have been very successful since:

Rangnick was VfB youth coach from 1990-1994 and then head coach from 1999-2001.
    Löw was assistant coach from 1995-1996 and head coach from 1996-1998
    Tuchel was youth coach in Stuttgart from 2000-2005.
    Klopp never coached in Stuttgart but there was also some connection, but I can't find the article anymore...maybe he made his internship there, but I think there was something else as well...not sure about Veh anymore, he also didn't coach at Stuttgart before becoming head coach in 2006, but I think there was also some connection during the mid 1990s, I might be wrong about this though (I really wish I had saved that article, it was really good)...

Anyway, the article which I can't find anymore did make a lot of sense and it did also mention some other important names of people behind the scenes who are not visible to the average Bundesliga fan and who were important for the development at Stuttgart and also in connecting these coaches.

Everything on top of that is mere coincidence though. I don't think that there is a trend in the Bundesliga to favor coaches from the South-West and you certainly can't throw someone like Hitzfeld or Klinsmann into one basket with the other guys, only because they're originally from Baden-Württemberg. And to then add Sammer to the mix is really stretching it...

9. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    ^^^^
    Benz, awesome post.

Other Schwabisch coaches:
    • Marco Kurz
    • Uwe Rapolder (Heilobronn)
    • Armin Veh (Augsburg)
    • Rainer Maurer (born in Mindelheim which is part of historic Swabia)
    Not to mention about 4-5 coaches born in or near Mannheim which is pretty close to Schwabia. :D And that is just after looking at the 1.BL and 2.BL coaches this season.:cool:

10. cwcoach18

cwcoach18 Member+

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    SV Waldhof Mannheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Mannheim has always been really strong in soccer development. I lived there and played soccer there as a little kid. I was taught very well.

Too bad that my boyhood team has fallen on tough times. SV Waldhof Mannheim. Back then Klaus Schlappner was the coach.

Notable players from Mannheim: Foerster brothers Karl Heinz and Bernd, Juergen Kohler, Mauricio Gaudino, Fritz Walter, Dieter Eckstein, Diter Hecking, Christian Woerns and many more

11. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    phwwoooa. Fritz Walter? They've done their bit for the next 50 years too then. :cool:

12. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    I knew a guy named Willi Kiefer who played for them in the 1970s. He came to play for the NASL Washington Diplomats in 1980 I think. Did not last long then went back.

13. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Not this Fritz Walter:
    [​IMG]

But this one, next to Maurizio Gaudino:
    [​IMG]

14. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    hahahaha, whoa. Thanks for fixing that :D. I knew it sounded a bit strange before I wrote anything....

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    He died this year :(

16. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    But Sepp Herberger, the real one, learned his soccer there, so...

Other Waldhof players: Uwe Rahn, Paul Steiner, Gernot Rohr...

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok, Im going back to my original comment now :cool:

18. cwcoach18

cwcoach18 Member+

Apr 1, 2009
    Club:
    SV Waldhof Mannheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Thanks for mentioning them. I thought Uwe Rahn was one of them although he had his best days at Borussia Moenchengladbach

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcJhbhtmmng&feature=related"]YouTube - Borussia Mönchengladbach - Real Madrid 1985 5:1 alle Tore[/ame]

^^^^ too bad Real beat BMG 4-0 in Madrid to advance two weeks later on away goals.

When I lived in Seckenheim (early 80's) just outside of Mannheim Gladbach used to come and play the local club in pre-season (Landesliga). Those teams of the early 80's played really good attractive soccer.

An image that is burned into my head is a black and white picture I saw of Rahn covering his forehead with his jersey. Completely blood soacked from a cut during the DFB Pokal. I believe it was during the 83/84 season.

After Waldhof, Karlsruhe which is not too far from Mannheim brought up some great players (lots of them ended up at Bayern).

Koeln used to bring up many talented players in the 70's & 80's. Talent for whatever reasons shows up in bunches in certain areas. Mostly it's through new ground breaking influences in coaching or through incorporating better more effective talent development strategies.

Others catch one after a while until someone else moves the development ahead again.

19. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Rohr played first for Bayern, though, as I saw later, so he should be scratched from a list of Waldhof products (still played for them of course).

20. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Willi Keifer died? Holy crap!!! What of? He could not have been more than 55 or 56.

21. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  22. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Damn, thanks for the note. He was good friends with Heinz Wirtz who used to play for Fortuna Duesseldorf. Heinz convinced him to come to the NASL but that was when the league was headed into trouble. I found a French site that had a bit more info on his overall career. Sorry to hear of his passing. Was a very nice, kind person. Gave me one of his kits when he came to dinner one night. I was a kid and getting a REAL German kit, while not the first one I got, I always appreciated!!!

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Looks like Uli's latest article slipped under the radar as it was posted on a Friday (New Years eve).