Ukraine vs Russia III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, May 16, 2023.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A few days ago a Georgian parliamentary member who actually fought to defend Kyiv in 2022 punched Mamuka Mdinaradze, the leader of the majority pro-Russian Georgian Dream party right in parliament.

bigredfutbol and rslfanboy repped this.
  2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I got good friends visiting Georgia right now. For some reason, they are not feeling too much craziness.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Seems someone might have finally got through to this clown that not everything is 9D politics and putin marching on the west might not be in the US interest

edcalvi, Mike03 and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Johnson is doing this because he has much better, more lucrative, jobs lined up for him by the Israel lobby.
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/biden...aid-says-iran-aims-to-destroy-israel-forever/
    Biden urges Congress to act on Israel aid, says Iran aims ‘to destroy Israel forever’
    After president’s op-ed calls for government to pass assistance packages for Israel, Ukraine, House Speaker Mike Johnson says he will push toward vote, potentially risking his job

5. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of all the goddamn reboots the world doesn’t need, it doesn’t need a reboot of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion the most.

@argentine soccer fan you need at least to give him a talking to. This post is outrageous.

yasik19, The Irish Rover and RafaLarios repped this.
  6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yes, but two weeks ago this wasn't apparent to him?

7. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Nah, do not overthink this. It's all much simpler. Democrats, possibly, said that they would protect him. I hope they extract some more concessions from him along the way.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I suspect the Iran attack might have sharpened the pressure on him

he made the pilgrimage to his Orange God who made it clear he doesn't want Maga Mike ousted (huge own goal before the election) so maybe that gives him the space to do this?

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A good, hard kerb-stomping is what Mdinaradze needs. Him, his seed, breed and generation.

An utter shithead

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    seems like this aid won't go through

11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    In Georgia, the political craziness stays below the surface but can erupt at any time.

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What??

How??

13. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Georgian protests against the foreign influence bill spread to the MNT
    Jaba Kankava, the captain of Georgia’s national football team, which recently qualified for Euro 2024, its first major tournament, posted a picture on Instagram of two protesters staring down riot police on Tuesday night, adding: “******** Russia.”
    A host of other national team players, including Khvicha Kvaratskhelia, a winger for Italy’s Serie A club Napoli, and Giorgi Mamardashvili, who is a goalkeeper for Valencia in Spain’s La Liga, also posted what appeared to be coordinated messages on social media.
    They wrote: “Georgia’s path is to Europe. The European way unites us!! Forward to Europe!! Peace to Georgia.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...otest-against-tbilisis-foreign-influence-bill

Mike03 repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #7814 The Irish Rover, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    According to the Ukrainian MOD, the Dzhankoj strike "destroyed or critically damaged:
    ● 4x S-400 air defense missile launchers
    ● 3x radar detection systems
    ● Air defense command-and-control center
    ● "Fundament-M" airspace surveillance equipment
    Other reports claim 2 S-300 launchers were damaged, along with a missile warehouse there. Separate attacks appear to have hit a Tupolev bomber factory in Kazan (drone strike) and a 29B6 over-the-horizon radar (light aircraft modified as a drone).

The Fundament-M is significant. It's a very rare, high level, IAMDS (Integrated Air & Missile Defence) asset which offers automated command & control over ground and naval forces, especially in coastal areas. Unlike other systems, it integrates multiple radars and missile systems of different types and purposes as well as monitoring civilian air traffic. With it, all units work in a single information field, starting from the central command post of the General Staff. It's next to irreplaceable over the next 18 months.

I can think of worse days. ;)

spejic repped this.
  15. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Last night I heard that, as the pro-Russian leadership of Slovakia is unwilling to chip in on the Czech artillery shell proposal, a Slovakian civilian group got permission to directly add to the Czech proposal by using funds from individual donations. I thought that was cool, but I see how hard it is to get five figures in the requests for Ukrainian drones or other purchases so I didn't think much would come from it.

This morning I wake up and see that Slovakian citizens have donated nearly $1,500,000 to this. That's crazy.

Here is the (Slovakian language) website if you want to help. Or just see how much they raised.

https://www.municiapreukrajinu.sk/

edcalvi, Bluto11, Mike03 and 6 others repped this.
  16. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Two German-Russians were arrested in Germany under suspicion they were trying to sabotage transportation, weapon manufacturing, and other sites related to weapon shipments going to Ukraine. This is being treated seriously - the Germans have summoned the Russian ambassador.

Mike03, PJ234 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dunno. In this clip he looks completely different, as if a weight has been lifted from his shoulders.

That, or he's finally discovered a spine - and located his missing cojones.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    To be fair to the guy, this statement is pretty striking, especially the last paragraph. Walking back that kind of language is going to be hard
    “This is a critical time right now, a critical time on the world stage. I can make a selfish decision and do something that’s different but I’m doing here what I believe to be the right thing.
    “I think providing lethal aid to Ukraine right now is critically important. I really do. I really do believe the intel and the briefings that we’ve gotten. I believe Xi, Vladimir Putin and Iran really are an axis of evil. I think they’re in coordination on it.
    “So I think that Vladimir Putin would continue to march through Europe if he were allowed. I think he might go to the Balkans next. I think he might have a showdown with Poland or one of our NATO allies.
    “To put it bluntly, I would rather send bullets to Ukraine than American boys. My son is going to begin in the Naval Academy this fall. This is a live-fire exercise for me as it is so many American families. This is not a game, this is not a joke.”

Mike03, ChrisSSBB and bigredfutbol repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There's a view that he is just trying to be seen doing the right thing but the bill is designed to fail

If he wanted to pass it, he would have just had a vote on the senate bill

I think it's unclear right now

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Biden is supporting the House package as it seems to be little more than cosmetic repackaging to the Senate's bill.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Netherlands caretaker & outgoing PM Rutte is a man with a well-deserved reputation for being as bland and inoffensive as possible and never, ever looking to be a Profile in Courage. This, however, is impressive:

He even looks like Johnson

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Insanely reckless by the Russians, if true. I don’t think it’s wise to give NATO an excuse for Article 5. (I think it’s #5)

goliath74 repped this.
  23. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    True, but all these Article 5 considerations run into feckless national presidents and NATO leaders. Remember the several explosions in the Bulgarian and Czech arsenals a couple of years before the invasion? Remember a handful of missiles and drones that fell into Poland and Romania. They had been tripping all over themselves to prove that it was Russians or that it was not worthy of revoking Article 5.

24. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    superdave repped this.
  25. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What Russia wants is to do something that invokes Article 5 and NATO does nothing. They are going to keep doing things that inch closer and closer to facilitate that.

ElNaranja and ChrisSSBB repped this.