Ukraine vs Russia III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, May 16, 2023.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Or even just explain why his regime poisoned school kids!

song219, RafaLarios and American Brummie repped this.
  2. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    This reminds me!

I was wrong about Russian Air Force. I thought that the losses compared to what the rest of the Russian Army will not damage their fleet so much

But seeing so many Su-30SM Su-34 and Su-35 destroyed compared to their numbers made me reconsider. So while 1000+ fleet most of it is old. No MIG-29 and Su-27 downed so about 200 jets from the start clearly not used. While Russia has over 250 SU-24 they barely lost 14 while 26 Su-34 were downed so clearly Su-34 was used waaay more often.\

I won't count the SU-25 losses because that is job that newer jets do not do the same

I thought Russia will YOLO their older fleet first but now it is clearly that Russia prefers sending newer stuff so losing 10% of the new stuff hurts. New stuff is less than 40% of their fleet and my definition of new is if its Russian not Soviet

Because less jets means --> less are ready --> the others are more used--> which means they need more maintenance --> which means even less are ready

My theory is not that they give a sh1t about the Russian pilots just that the weapons that work like the glide kit on Fab-500 only works on newer stuff

spejic repped this.
  3. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    The people who don't "believe" in Global Warming have observed that the climate is weird these last few years

Their conclusion: "They are manipulating the weather". So do not expect much.

His answer to my retort that Ukraine downing 3600+ Shaheds is proof Iran sent Russia thousands of drones was..... it is not true. It is all performance art of Ukraine behalf is my guess

RafaLarios repped this.
  4. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That will never happen. Macron knows it. Putin knows it. That's not 'strategic ambiguity' as Macron said: it's just another dumb statement that weakens even more the European deterrence.

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all good stuff and it is accurate. I will also add a couple of other factors.

The lack of trained pilots in the Russian Air Force and that what pilots they do have, the best are trained to fly the new stuff. Given the saturation of manpads and anti-air defenses in Ukraine, their can't really operate in Ukraine and what does, requires a level of skill that a lot of Russian pilots don't have.

Add onto that the lack of trained mechanics. Jets require a lot of maintenance per hour of flight that can't really be deferred, or at least, can't safely be deferred. If there is a lack of maintenance crews to keep up with that grind, slowly but surely the planes are not flight worthy. Also, you can't really park a jet fighter in an open field and store it there for years and have it be operational within a few weeks. There's a lot of complex machinery in fighters and if they rust (or get ripped out and sold on the black market) the fighter quickly becomes little more than scrap.

spejic and waitforit repped this.
  6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop me if you've heard this before... Russia held an award ceremony near the front. While the soldiers were gathering to observe the ceremony, a HIMARS arrived as an non-invited guest and delivered a gift of tungsten balls.

7. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read that whole tweet down through the part where they apparently knew they were being watched via drone but ignored the threat.

The Russians are as dumb as the bad guys in a movie aimed at 9 year olds. One step above the burglars in Home Alone.

Ok, two steps above. Let’s not exaggerate.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    agreed. pathetic self tugging by macron. send weapons or let us buy them.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ukranian reconnaissance drone caught a flying saucer.
    Screenshot_20240228_150953_Telegram.jpg

10. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    From France's former ambassador to the UN and the USA

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Of course Putin knows when push comes to shove, NATO and EU will just back off and will call every bluff.

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Soviet era Su-27's and MiG-29's have essentially no air-to-ground capability. They theoretically can drop dumb bombs and fire unguided rockets, but that's not really useful in this war and as Yoshou says they barely get training in their primary duty, let alone practice something not in their wheelhouse.

We have seen Su-27's bother American drones and make a few forays almost into NATO space, but I haven't seen any reporting of their use near Ukraine.

14. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The thing is that we now have leaked documents that describe when Russia will consider using nuclear weapons, and it's a lot more of a hair trigger than we thought or the Russians previously acknowledged.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    behind a paywall.

16. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    yasik19 repped this.
  17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Russians know that any use of nuclear weapons on their part means that Russia is turned to glass and no longer exists.

18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, well, well. It’s a bad week to be an SU34 pilot. 11 days… 11 SU34s.

rslfanboy repped this.
  19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I believe that stated current NATO policy towards any battlefield nukes used by Russia would be an overwhelming, but totally conventional response. We still don't want to trigger the end of the world if we can help it.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any use of nuclear weapons by Russia would trigger the end of Russia.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes this was gamed out a lot if Russia used a demonstration nuke in Ukraine - likely met with conventional airstrikes

22. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ana a demostration Nuke in NATO country?

23. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What Russia wants is to do something that demands a NATO response, but NATO does nothing, thus rendering NATO useless.

Nuking a European city would bring NATO together and absolutely cause a response, as well as unite more of the world against Russia. They would never do something like that now. They think their current plan is working. I don't have much evidence it isn't.

superdave, rslfanboy and RafaLarios repped this.
  24. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He's a retired ambassador with no power or influence at all.

25. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Obviously.

Speaking about Macron: instead of making dumb statements, he should make concrete decisions to rearm France. I mean, relying on nuclear deterrence is fine but not enough if you don't have strong conventional forces. Deterrence must be nuclear and conventional.