Ukraine vs Russia III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, May 16, 2023.

1. You lose your Dutch nationality when you serve in a foreign army. Strangely this isnot applied to those fighting in the IDF.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a long time since 25,000 Dutch volunteers joined the Waffen-SS. It's time to get over it.

Moishe and DoyleG repped this.
  3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    [​IMG]

Moishe and rslfanboy repped this.
  4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Certainly a couple would be no problem, but I'm thinking the kind of attack expected in a WW III scenario where the attacker tries to saturate the target with more missiles than can be shot down, kind of like this:

The S400 system has proven far less capable than what was thought when that software was written. Don't know the exact percent kill ratio it has against Storm Shadows, but it's pretty small (maybe 50-75%? No one telling us, obviously). But these Iranian missiles are supposedly accurate, and who knows what kind of countermeasures they contain. Ballistic missiles are fast, but aiming at the SAM site itself gives that SAM site the best chance of shooting them down.

Assuming Russia knows where a Patriot is (and that's not certain), and knows it won't move between launch time and arrival time (again, that's not certain) then the number of missiles Russia has to launch depends on a lot of questions. How many launchers does Russia have? What is the expected P/K ratio? How many missiles will the Patriot have? What other Ukrainian air defense is in the area? Don't ask me - I don't have the foggiest on any of those. I don't even know all the questions to ask. But the thing is, even Russia won't know the answers to all of them. This kind of attack hasn't been tried on a Western system yet. Will 20 be enough? If it isn't, then trying 20 is a waste. But if you send 100 when you only need 20 that's a big waste too. If you can try it over and over again you can learn, and I suspect the US really doesn't want Russia and Iran to find out.

There is probably more behind the scenes too. Biden seems really good at quiet messaging, and I suspect he sent Russia a note saying "if you do x, we will do y". There could be a flurry going on and the only thing we civilians see is nothing taking place and wondering why.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Let's see . . . a plane is hit by a missile, explodes, disintegrates and crashes into the ground in several places, killing everyone on board and any of its electronics & computer hardware not destroyed in the explosion would be destroyed on hitting the ground.

MH 17 was a terrible trauma for Dutch society so posting this picture of the reconstructed fuselage is more than insensitive, but could you imagine putting anything from it in a half-serviceable plane?

Be serious

upload_2024-2-24_3-57-11.jpeg

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #6931 The Irish Rover, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    [​IMG]

7. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is strange about it?

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putin is mentally ill and without limits. It is clear what must be done.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp, video of a SAM launch from a Russian battery has shown up.

Russia is claiming to have ID’d the SAM operator as a Ukrainian intelligence agent..

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Some quick points:
    1. No confirmation of Iran selling ballistic missiles to Russia. The US and Ukraine have both said no evidence of actual delivery has taken place. Iran has denied it as well. The Reuters report likely a trial balloon by Iran to gauge reactions if it finalized such a deal.
    2. Even if Iran sold ballistic missiles to Russia, the numbers of such missiles sold would be extremely unlikely to approach the 400 mentioned by Reuters. That would seriously dent Iran's own stockpiles during uncertain times. A number around 100 would be more reasonable.
    3. Despite spectacular success stories against the Russian navy (within dynamics being noted elsewhere, and with Ukraine using systems others had previously used, e.g. successful Houthi unmanned vessels hitting western supplied UAE and Saudi warships in the past), the overall dynamics in the war have clearly shifted from a stalemate to now one that favors the Russians. The delivery of accurate Iranian ballistic missiles would be a game changer if Russia decides to take out very high valued targets such as the political or military leaders of Ukraine in conjunction with more breakthroughs on the ground. More likely, however, they would be used against next level high value targets as opposed to Ukrainian military and political leaders.

11. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I see you are already on verse 3 of the narcissist's prayer

That didn't happen.
    And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
    And if it was, that's not a big deal. <-- you are here
    And if it is, that's not my fault.
    And if it was, I didn't mean it.
    And if I did, you deserved it.

Listen officially Iran has not given Russia Shaheds so I need to know what confirmation Iran needs to admit they are doing anything at all. 100% Iran has given Russia the missiles. And way closer to 400 than 100

Moishe, superdave and spejic repped this.
  12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have a clear basis for what I have written (namely these reports aren't confirmed by any of the sides), while your "100%" statement is self-evidently without foundation. At best, this is something that might prove true. And even if it does, the numbers I am confident will not be close to 400.
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/no-indication-iran-supplied-russia-042900058.html
    No indication Iran supplied Russia with ballistic missiles, US says
    https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/21/7442989/
    [Ukraine] Air Force has no information on Iran sending hundreds of ballistic missiles to Russia

13. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    #6938 waitforit, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Is the basis of what you wrote you not reading the very next sentence? And not understand the meaning of the word YET?

Lets read what Kirby said... aka my "foundation"

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...security-communications-advisor-john-kirby-2/

Lets read the whole thing shall we?

Yes as of now they haven't been supplied YET. You read the articles you are quoting no?

But they are coming.

Lets make a deal if Iran missiles appear you never post here ever again. And if May arrives and no proof of missiles appear I will do the same?

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You made a statement, with 100% hyperbole, that Iran "has given" these missiles to Russia. You may wish to change the subject now to what may happen in the future but I haven't opined on that. Except to say I doubt it will be 400 even if such a deal goes through.

15. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    #6940 waitforit, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Did you seriously ackshually me on that?

Are you like serious? I just bought a cordless angle grinder an Thursday ... it will arrive Monday. On your logic I haven't bought a grinder.

I am sorry but your gotchas are so stupid sometimes. It is a done deal and if the missiles arrive tomorrow or in April it is irrelevant for the point made.

You doubt many things until they happen and then you go all

bigredfutbol and The Irish Rover repped this.
  16. The exception for one foreign army?

17. What's the contribution of this to this thread?

18. Indeed. To save not just thousands of Ukranians, but hundreds if thousands Russian men too.
    Don't stop with him, but include the top brass too and the whole of the war mongering orthodox church leaders.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know you don't mean it this way, but all those stories about Putin having cancer, losing his mind, and isolated in a room seemed to have been all BS. His faculties seemed to be all there in that interview he did with Sucker.

20. Mentally ill doesnot necesarily include being out of control of yourself in day to day activities.
    His "illness" is about the delusion in his mind about the Rvssian empire and the resurrection of it at the cost of hundreds of thousands Ukranian and Rvssians.

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A Sean Hannity interview?

MattR and MarioKempes repped this.
  22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Good question. An excellent question, in fact.

So good that you should have asked it before you posted. What is your post's contribution to this thread?

None.

There's a Hamas-Israel thread, where your derail belongs. Go there, please.

NORML, Moishe and DoyleG repped this.
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Moscow last night. No, seriously.

No comment

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's about $750 million of lost aircraft in a single week.

[​IMG]