Ukraine vs Russia III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, May 16, 2023.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He, allegedly, committed suicide because of the backlash and threats that he was getting for saying that 16k Russians died taking Avdiivka. He also published a letter right before he, allegedly, shot himself. The letter is from a member of one of the units that fought in Avdiivka and the author complained about the lack of weapons and transportation, the 70% casualties, the poor treatment of the soldiers, and how credit for taking Avdiivka was given to units that weren't even there.

2. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    The only reason that Russia is taking so long in dealing with the likes of Iran is because Iran usually wants something that Russia initially does not want to give. They didn't want just the SU-35 but tech transfer too. So they got it because Russia actually was running out of missiles.

Meanwhile Ukraine receives things slowly because "muh escalation"
    Iran does not give a crap that these missiles could hit Poland or a NATO country..... just give Ukraine the stuff already

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think they'd love that.

4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Ukrainians had a drone over the training ground that was hit by the HIMARS...

1760421174406713841 is not a valid tweet id

5. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this was one of the three tweets posted about the Canadian family moving to Russia and having all their assets stolen, but, never go to Russia, y'all. A 33-year-old woman participated in protests against the Russian invasion in LA and then decided to visit family in Russia. Upon arrival, she was arrested by Russian police and has now been charged with Treason.

rslfanboy, onefineesq and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I had such a blast in Russia for the 2018 WC. Glad I got that crossed out from my bucket list back then.

PJ234, RafaLarios and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  8. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Me too ... Until something drastic happens not going there at all again.. so they HAVE to lose in Ukraine and have a revolution there ...

So probably never again. (I do want them to lose the war, but my senses tell me that kot even then, that country will change)

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna need some more Cuban conscripts to fill the gap...

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So they were ready. Were they tipped off? Or was this a regular event that Ukraine found out about and prepared for the next occurrence?

11. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is new Ukrainian trench construction. They are also burying the trenches to protect from drones.

media_GG4Px7-XUAA0vStppp.jpg

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #6887 The Irish Rover, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Some good news coming, hopefully.

The Danish PM's office is also holding a press conference with her defence minister today. The topic is support to Ukraine.

Speculation that co-funding of the Czech Republic’s 800,000 artillery shells will be announced.

Mike03 and rslfanboy repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thank god!

But why has this taken so long? Who are we saving these shells for realistically? The whole point of them is to kill Russians - might as well use them today and get on with the business of making more than save them up to try to defend against a russian invasion years from now?

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Russian opsec is a contradiction in terms. They intercepted signals and/or observed unscheduled troop movements, etc. and drew the right conclusions, sent a spotter drone to confirm the troops are there

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There is EU funding for this, but buying these shells will unquestionably involve buying them from non-member states, thereby spending EU money in non-member states. Something France and other members have historically had a lot of problems with.

That's not a problem for the Canadians, obviously, but I wonder if the Danes are going to buy some of the shells with their own money to break the logjam and shame the holdouts. If the rest of the Nordic (Norway, Sweden, Finland and the Baltics) follow suit, the pressure will be hard to resist.

spejic repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - i get that stuff

It's why i was suggesting the Russian cash be taken for keeping the financial aid going then the EU member states could take that money back out, and use it individually to buy arms e.g from America

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RafaLarios repped this.
  18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It turns out that the video I posted is actually from a second attack on a Russian training ground formation. This time it was in the Kherson region. I haven't seen an estimated death count from a reliable source, but someone paused the video and saw 60ish bodies.

From what I understand, the troops were there for quite a bit of time waiting for their CO to show up and address them. So it may have been a matter of Ukrainian drones seeing the formation and then Ukraine rushing a HIMARS forward for a strike. It could also be a regular event found via drone, or by Ukrainian sources behind the lines.

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #6894 The Irish Rover, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    Russian commanders do have a penchant for these kinds of parade-ground assemblies for the CO to deliver pep talks to raise the soldiers' spirits - no doubt fueled by the COs downing plenty of spirits beforehand. I've lost count of the number of similar incidents over the last 18 months

I'd imagine there's a pattern of prior behaviour and/or communication for each of these, so the Ukrainians are probably algorithmically primed to react promptly to the appearance of any part(s) of the usual patterns.

What really interests me is how far behind the frontlines this strike and are the previous one are. Even the Russian commanders can't all be so dumb as to order these assemblies within HIMARS range - can they? :confused:

Maybe these two strikes are further evidence of the longer ranged ground-launched SBDs being used. Here's hoping.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a misrepresentation.

The Bundestag voted for a package to send long range missiles to Ukraine but didn't mention specific systems.

The opposition filed a motion that would specify Taurus cruise missiles. This was rejected.

rslfanboy, ceezmad and The Irish Rover repped this.
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was right! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

yasik19 repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    15,000? that is not even a weeks supply?

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they could send Taurus but keep it secret or could not send them but send other weapons?

They left it vague on purpose.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Disclose TV is a right wing disinfo channel.

Disclose.tv is a disinformation outlet[8] based in Germany that presents itself as a news aggregator.[2][6] It is known for promoting conspiracy theories[13] and fake news,[19] including COVID-19 misinformation[3][2][6] and anti-vaccine narratives.[22]

The website was created in 2007 as a conspiracy forum focused around content such as UFOs and paranormal phenomena. In 2021, it rebranded itself as a news aggregator on its social media platforms and website. Disclose.tv pushes far-right content, conspiracy theories and misleading information together with real news taken from other sources frequently without attribution, and platforms hate speech, including Holocaust denial and neo-Nazism, on its message groups.[2][6][23]

rslfanboy and spejic repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    At the end of the day it is the defence officials and Scholz who decide.