Ukraine vs. England, World Cup Qual.: Tuesday 10/09/13, 19:45 Olympic Stadium, Kiev, Ukraine [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Sep 7, 2013.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    [​IMG]

V

[​IMG]

Record against Ukraine - Played 6, Won 4, Drawn 1, Lost 1. Scored 9, Conceded 3.

Scorers (All scored once) - Tony Adams, Robbie Fowler, David Beckham, Michael Owen, Shaun Wright-Phillips, John Terry, Peter Crouch, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard.

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    This is the toughest game in the group for us. Maybe we will see a Lambert/Defoe partnership up front.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is carrick fit? Could have a nice middle 3 with him wilshere and barkley more advanced

MUFC1 repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I'm not sure Hodgson is going to get this right.

Lampard and Gerrard can't start this game together. We struggled to keep the ball with them in their prime and now they are both slower and we really lack energy and movement off the ball. Keep them both on and we'll start hoofing aimlessly. I also think we need someone centrally that is prepared to do the quick passing basics under pressure and have the energy to link with our attackers. Oxlade-Chamberlain did it well against Brazil. Milner is probably going to start also which limits that long diagonal outlet ball option (that we seem to love) on that side. I wonder how long in the game it will be until we see Hart hitting it long for Milner to head onto nobody :cool:

Can we can keep Walcott and Walker on the right side as a partnership either? Konoplyanka will have too much space and is Walker comfortable enough 1v1 with him?

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Sturridge is also ruled out completely.

6. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not looking good :eek:
    I'd go:
    Hart
    Walker Jagielka Cahill Cole
    Wilshere Carrick Gerrard
    Walcott Lambert/Defoe Young

Not sure if I'd play Lambert or Defoe.

7. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    This is a crunch tie. If we win we look well placed to qualify. If we lose, we will struggle to qualify. So let's just win it. I think we have good players and can get the 3 pts.

I just hope Hodgson doesn't foolishly publicly announce his team a day before the match, like he did against Moldova.

8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder how Ukraine will feel going into this game. They are expected to get a result and when's the last time that has happened against a "top" team like England.

9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Sterling should take Welbeck's place. Barkly should replace Lampard.

MUFC1 repped this.
  10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #10 W.A.S.P., Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Some good news:

Garmash will miss the England game and Yarmolinko is questionable. Those are 2 important players for Ukraine.

Ukraine also don't have the best of keepers in Pyatov. He makes the easy look hard. He will save almost anything hit right at him, but he's pretty slow.

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Milner being drafted in is the last straw. I'm getting bad vibes now.

12. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    So where are all the Welbeck haters now? He is a real miss, wherever he plays.

I say forget about dominating possession, keep a rigid shape and use Theo's pace on the counter.

We can forget about setting a template for the future for now. Let's play conservatively but not too deep , pack the midfield, make it hard to play through us and hit on the counter.

Gerrard and Lampard are not ideal, but tactically they are both better than ever.

I would prefer to see Wilshere deeper - he doesn't seem ready for a role higher up the pitch and he is the best player in possession by far. The CBs need a close outlet they know their passes will stick to.
    My main worry is still the CB pairing. I don't trust them to limit Ukraine to half chances.

Still, I'm confident England have enough to get through this.

Please no Jermaine Defoe. He has neither the mentality nor the ability for crunch games like this.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  13. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Who does? Lambert?

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wilshere will always play as a pivot for me. Wenger has signed ozil for a reason!

Central midfield is looking good atm, shame about our cbs and strikers

15. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe in the future, but Wilshere doesn't have the positioning or tactical nous to be a holding player in a game like this in my opinion. I expect to see him start in front of Gerrard and Carrick.

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, it will be.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wilshere never played the role at arsenal and always plays cm. He is good tactically and not a bad tackler....he is fine. Him and carrick is a nice pairing

18. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    and right backs and wingers and keepers;)

thebigman repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    A big game coming up so we get a non-story hyped up by the media about a player :cautious: Obviously been held onto until a big game aswell because it happened in June. Laughing gas ffs! Really worth reporting :D

20. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Word!!

Daily Mirror keep it 3 months to bring out before this game.
    Scummy yellow journalism .

21. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Daily Mail called it Hippy Crack in their article.:ROFLMAO: Talk about misleading.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Marc Albrighton should be in the team. He is better than Milner. He has pace and can pick people out well.

23. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    I hope so. At the very least he has the physical qualities if isolated and the recipient of less than precise passing. Good work rate too.

If Defoe plays as the furthest central player we would be in danger of getting pushed back very deep. Hopefully Lambert will make it difficult for Ukraine to gain easy possession and allow England to at least hold their positions as a team further up the pitch.

That said, Defoe coming on late in the game could have a decisive impact.

24. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Is Albrighton still playing?

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gotta go for the win, none of this 'get the draw' shit...

sinner78 and W.A.S.P. repped this.