Ukraine v Russia II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Apr 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is a strong Führerbunker vibe to all this.

Basically Putin will be told what he wants to hear, because that's how the regime works.

"I can haz panzer offensive?"

edcalvi and Belgian guy repped this.
  2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It can't print money because it isn't trading rubles abroad. To use money to get out of this requires a connection to the greater world of finance and a future investors can believe in. Russia has neither of those things.

The velocity of money internally is already dropping hard.

Much of what Russia needs for war has to be bought outside the country, and they have to trade goods for that. Oil is perfect, except there is a limit to how much they can sell and that much is less than the drones and chips and aluminum and medicine they need. They stole a bunch of grain from eastern Ukraine, but that's probably a one-time deal. It's checking the couch cushions time.

I think your next post is Putin realizing the bad December is a portent of the future and figuring he doesn't have years of war left. He might not even have year of war left. He has to make something happen soon.

Belgian guy repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well sort of. We've been through all this before so I didn't rehash the detail. I agree that their situation is dumb and bad. Running war deficits without proper access to capital markets or a large part of their foreign cash reserves is not great. Hence why they have to sell down. But also, they did find a way to recapitalise banks by putting interest rates through the roof - so they can muddle on for quite some time. But the economic damage will be huge year on year.

Yes - which gets to the main point that @American Brummie made. This is mostly about killing their imports.

All the financial stuff is punishment and an incentive for them to stop - but not fatal IMO. The import stuff hurts really bad.

According to WOTR he basically still has his maximalist goals, and minimum goal of taking Donbas, so sittng in a defensive posture doesn't really work for him, though it is strategically smarter.

This is probably why defensive general got replaced with offensive general.

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Something I found interesting in Michael Weiss's interviews is I think it is still underestimated the extent to which Putin's inner circle or war council is not reality based. We've learned the same with the Trumpian GOP. There is no secret backstage place behind the lies and corruption where they are having reality based conversations.

Especially getting ahead under Putin means telling him what he wants to hear and lying about the reality.

IMO the offensive is because it is what Putin wants, so people told him he could have it, rather than some deep strategic plan

russ, diablodelsol and song219 repped this.
  5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I’m not so certain, on an individual basis, they’re not reality based. But collectively, amongst others, they simply can’t be. The difference between the Russian military theoretical capabilities and their actual capabilities is a direct result of three decades of grift that they all participated in and Putin enabled.

After action discussion…

Putin:Why is our military so shitty?
    Generals: because we stole half of the budget for ourselves. We have a parade worthy military and not much else.
    Putin: why’d you do that?
    Generals: because we’ve all been stealing from the state for the last 30 years….including you.

Belgian guy repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we will see Russian Modern Monetary Theory?

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This.

If there is a subset of Americans willing to strap on explosives so that they can go meet their maker in the afterlife, it would be these guys. Bringing on the Rapture and all.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Of course they can. As long as they are willing to accept the same outcome that the Peronists get in Argentina.

Cop Shoot Cop and JohnR repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    One of the subtleties to it is because everyone lies about everything, getting the correct information is often difficult.

A classic issue with the late era wehrmacht was deception about replacements and reinforcements. So you are given an objective and promised reinforcements to achieve it. But of course those units are also promised to others so you never end up getting them. Or when it comes, it is half what was promised.

So even if Putin wanted to know the real figure of how many serviceable tanks he has for his offensive, it may not be possible to get an accurate answer because the system from top to bottom lies about such things.

diablodelsol repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    And/or a large erosion in living standards

Increasingly output will be diverted to war - particularly manpower

11. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been a part of Russian culture since at least Soviet times.

Imagine you're in charge of a shoe factory during some Five Year Plan. Your regional committee sets a quota of 10,000 pairs of shoes for that year. You, of course, have nowhere near enough leather to produce that many shoes. Failing to meet your quota is bad, and no one wants to hear the reasons why. So, you lie about your production, and say you beat your quota by 5%. The guys on the regional committee have no incentive to actually check your numbers, because if you don't make your quota, that's bad for them, as well. So, they take your numbers and add 5% to them, to make themselves look even better. This is repeated at every level of the bureaucracy, until the final numbers reach the appropriate desk in the Kremlin. The country is awash in shoes! New shoes for everyone! Let's set the quota even higher for the next Five Year Plan!

Meanwhile, there's a couple of boxes of flip-flops sitting in an empty shoe warehouse somewhere.

russ, Belgian guy and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's simply the case that they can't run out of money, and they can, for now, raise money internally - this is essentially how the recapitalised the banks, by forcing money towards deposits.

I don't think, in the medium term, this is a big issue for them - though obviously structurally terrible for their economy.

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At least the Peronists did it with better intentions. Not to fund not a war, but presumably (corruption aside) to build a social safety net for the working class.

It still resulted in a worthless currency and a large erosion in living standards.

bigredfutbol and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly.

China has similar issues. Every government official has reasons and incentives to lie. That is why any information about China - and its economy in particular - has to be taken with a grain of salt.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is literally how state data on production figures worked when i was in Vietnam back in the day.

People assume there must be 'real' numbers somewhere.

russ and superdave repped this.
  16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Example - the rank & file GOP Voter

They do not care if it harms them if it harms the people they hate, more

See above and the ALEC/Koch Fueled astroturfing of "grass roots pushback"

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  17. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    I do not know economics as there are a muddled s**t that makes no sense to me

But I know that until 1989 Romania had a controlled currency. And the minute my compatriots shot Ceausescu the shit hit the fan

My parents apartment cost 100k lei (our currency) in 1986 and the money kept the same value until 1989

By September 1993 100k was like monthly salary. By 1997 my father salary was like 2 million lei/month. It was the wild wild west in Romania. I think in early 2000s we finally got a handle of things. It reached single digits in 2004

Found a table with the inflation

1991 170.2%
    1992 210.4%
    1993 256.1%
    1994 136.7%
    1995 32.3%
    1996 38.8%
    1997 154.8%
    1998 59.1%
    1999 45.8%
    2000 45.7%

The ruble will have a wild ride the minute Russia wants back in the global economy

russ and superdave repped this.
  18. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They are doing this the old fashioned way - war bonds (10% on the 10 year) and selling the family silver. They are very very concerned about the appearance of the ruble - I don't think they would do anything to risk that.

19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Russia is making advances around Bakhmut, especially in the north where the town of Krasna Hora is mostly surrounded and the M-03 road that feeds Krasna Hora and Bakhmut is almost in Russian hands. The attack northwest out of Blahodatne has stopped at a series of irrigation ponds and the town of Vasiukivka, but I'd say this is more finding a defensive position to protect the north flank of the north pincer around Bakhmut than Ukraine stopping this advance.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    yes the ruble is down

The biggest hit to the economy seems to be the contraction - i.e. recessionary pressures rather than inflationary

Of course they offset that by massive stimulus (typical in a war)

Again while all of this is dumb and bad, i haven't seen anyone suggest it's any critical threat to Putin

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's been suggested Ukraine is trying to form multiple new armoured brigades - this is better than feeding the new stuff piecemeal into the furnace. In this regard, the light bradleys, marders etc are likely much more significant than the leopards.

It will be faster and more effective to base an offensive on these platforms, supported by existing tanks.

But Ukraine knows it is getting 100s of new tanks to replace loses in due course.

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Meanwhile things aren't going well for the Russian panzer divisions. As we saw this week, losing 20 armoured vehicles in a single day is wildly beyond their replacement rates - so an offensive could well play into Ukraine's hands

Russia may have lost up to half of its operational tank fleet in Ukraine, monitoring group says

Russia has potentially lost up to half of all its operational tank fleet since the start of the Ukraine war, according to information collected by a monitoring group, as its military struggles to meet the goals of Vladimir Putin’s invasion.

Oryx, an open source intelligence website, has been collecting visual evidence of military equipment losses in Ukraine since Russia’s invasion began on February 24, 2022.

The group said this week it has verified 1,000 distinct Russian tank losses in the war. It said a further 544 Russian tanks had been captured by Ukrainian forces, 79 damaged and 65 abandoned.

That toll does not include losses Oryx has not been able to visually confirm, said Jakub Janovsky, a military analyst who contributes to the Oryx blog. He estimated the actual toll could be nearer 2,000 tanks.

“Russia started the war with around 3,000 operational tanks … so there is a good chance that Russia has lost one half of (its) usable tanks” Janovsky said.​

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/09/...-destroyed-ukraine-war-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

Belgian guy repped this.
  23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

They know exactly what is happening but they don't care, for whatever reason.

Mike03, rslfanboy, song219 and 2 others repped this.
  24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Would explain the presence of some exotic pieces of equipment in the field.

waitforit repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - it's a lot - especially when you factor in all the other armoured platforms, SPGs, AFvs IFVs etc - According to Oryx its well over 5000 vehicles before you get to trucks etc

Are they making 400 new pieces of armour a month?

Obviously not!

Belgian guy repped this.