Ukraine v Russia II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by crazypete13, Apr 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Continued from here

2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    First Post for Ukraine v. Russia II --Putin's Electric Boogaloo

Bluto11 and Chesco United repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I saw a BBC interview with a russian guy being interviewed on BBC Newsnight tonight and he repeated this claim that the people fighting for the Ukrainians in the east are fascists, particularly the Azov brigade and the thing is, that's not entirely a lie as this from from the BBC about 4 years back illustrated...

I only mention it because I keep saying the Azov brigade mentioned as if they're the last bastion of freedom standing against Russian fascism and, although I dare say they ARE determined fighters against the Russians, there's a BIT more to it than that.

I just think it's important we remember some of the dynamics involved in politics in the former east bloc countries and not get suckered into accepting the appearance of everything we're being told.

As I said before, the significance of Zelenskiy is that he wasn't an extremist particularly and was trying to straddle the divide between the competing factions within Ukrainian society.

ChrisSSBB and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So the question of the day is "is this the real Donbas attack or not?" and I think it is, even though there are units still moving towards the front and two dozen BTG's still regrouping in Belarus. I don't think they would waste good units and materiel for no reason before the real attack starts. They are also churning up the ground really bad and would make a later attack on the same dirt much slower.

What I think is happening (and this is very much a guess from someone with limited knowledge and no insight into the Russian mind) is that they are attacking everywhere with as many units as the road network and ground can support and then start pushing reinforcements into any attacks that are succeeding in old Soviet style. I think they want a grinding battle that pits their ability to train and truck in shells vs Ukraine's total stock of shells period.

5. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many threads we'll end up having for this war.

ChrisSSBB, charlie15, russ and 2 others repped this.
  6. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #6 Boandlkramer, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    Azov was diluted back in 2015 following the nazi activities amplified by Russia.

The wolfangel is an ancient runic symbol that was appropriated by the Nazis. Same with the Celtic cross.

I’m 2014, it was assessed that 10-20% were active Neonazis. In 2015, they were expanded and diluted with local and far away volunteers. I’d suggest the numbers are lower these days. That being said

Nobody ever called the 82 ABN “Nazis”

“After Racial Slayings, Army Identifies 22 Skinhead Soldiers in 82nd Airborne”

https://apnews.com/article/4004a996daa74434a37344c82dad8660

https://www.rollcall.com/2021/02/16...ads-white-supremacists-have-made-in-military/

Don’t even get me started on the Orc army.

Russia has amplified Nazi associations with them and all of UKR quite successfully…we’re still talking about it and 3d world Putin stooges dogpile pro UKR posts all over social media.

That being said, I’m not saying they don’t have problematic members. Just pointing out the broad brush being applied here and so many have accepted it as fact

GreedyG, stanger, Dr. Wankler and 6 others repped this.
  7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'm still hoping for some drastic event to occur to solve this situation.

xtomx, NORML, crazypete13 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ukraine has not yet perished!

NORML, marek and Boandlkramer repped this.
  9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing good happens after II, so this had better be the last thread!

Chesco United and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  10. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

11. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    April 15 (Reuters) - Russia has warned the United States that there will be "unpredictable consequences" if Washington keeps arming Ukraine, The Washington Post reported on Friday.

In Moscow, a foreign ministry spokeswoman confirmed Russia had sent diplomatic notes to the United States and other nations about supplying weapons to Ukraine but did not say what the messages contained, Interfax news agency reported.

"We call on the United States and its allies to stop the irresponsible militarization of Ukraine, which implies unpredictable consequences for regional and international security," the Post quoted Russia saying in a note to the United States.

https://www.reuters.com/world/russia-warns-us-stop-arming-ukraine-washington-post-2022-04-15/

this is several days old, but I dont recall it being mentioned here
    is Putin setting the stage for an escalation against the Western countries who are arming Ukraine

by issuing a diplomatic note he might then allow himself further steps if the complaints in the note are not addressed

12. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    only if the Winged Hussars Arrive! :)

13. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Because it's just talk. He can't do anything. He's opened the door for greater sanctions and all sorts of Western aid through his soldier's horrific actions against civilians.

stanger repped this.
  14. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Especially with that rocket test he had this week, along with the rhetoric.

Hypersonic glide vehicles sounds pretty scar

15. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlikely unless the Russians decide to invade Poland

marek repped this.
  16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically they make a deal with the Prussians first soooo....

marek repped this.
  17. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically this isn't accurate, the Fast and Furious series got better after the 2nd movie.

ElNaranja and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, they've obviously made efforts to clear out some of the idiots and, as you also say, it's not like other military across the west haven't got some of the same 'issues', at least to some extent..

Having said that the BBC film I posted was from 2018

I was just making the point that politics in the former eastern bloc countries are different to those in much of western Europe, as we've seen in Hungary with Orban and in Poland and that that feeds into how they run their societies and who they allow to work alongside the state.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.npr.org/2018/07/19/6303...s-to-question-natos-collective-defense-clause

In it, host Carlson asked a hypothetical question: "Let's say Montenegro, which joined last year, is attacked. Why should my son go to Montenegro to defend it from attack?"

Montenegro had just joined NATO. Trump is saying that Article 5 might not be invoked. That is enough to question the US's membership in NATO, which would give Russia nearly free reign to do what it just did, let alone in all the 'stans and Georgia and Armenia. And then what would Trump have done if Russia attacked on of the Baltics? Probably nothing, based on the comment.

Look, one of the things which is quite clear is that Trump is afraid of personal confrontation. He got bullied by MBS. He got bullied by Xi. He got bullied by Putin. (Hell, he got bullied by Merkle, his ally - you know the picture.) He capitulated to all of them. And he has run away from other types of confrontation, such as Vietnam, sending in unprepared special forces to Yemen, etc. So if Russia attacked, Trump would turn his tail and run in actual policy. He might talk the talk in interviews on FoxNews or in rallies, but when it comes down to direct confrontation, he is a coward. (And he would ******** it up everywhere, whether that was in Central America or Africa. Because he is a showman and con artist, not a leader.)

M, The Jitty Slitter, usscouse and 3 others repped this.
  20. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    picture? no, I don’t don’t… can you share?

21. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    And if you choose to, you can imagine that Ukraine is Rocky and Russia is Ivan

balboa-drago-rocky4.jpeg

luftmensch and NORML repped this.
  22. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Then we should send a diplomatic note to Putin with complaints about an illegal war (aren’t they all) and atrocities and demand an answer and withdrawal.
    Why let him control the dialogue.

23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definition of better? A steaming pile of crap with a rose in it is still a steaming pile of crap. :)

Bootsy Collins and usscouse repped this.
  24. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I remember another exchange between Russian and American presidents. Some guys called Khrushchev and Kennedy.

As I remember there were nuke threats at that time also.

soccernutter repped this.
  25. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    sure, let’s do that, maybe even let the UN Security Council handle it

my point was that in Putin’s mind (however incorrect he might be), he issued an official complaint and if that does not stop the arms shipment, he might feel justified (again in his own mind) to escalate against whoever is supplying the arms

He’d be wrong and his complaints are transparent in light of what his army is doing in Ukraine…. but as far as he might see it (or find it useful to frame it that way) he’d be justified