UK Paper publishes memo on UK (and US?) plan to "quit" Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Daily Mail's hoped-for "DSM spin" notwithstanding, let us hope that this currently unendorsed proposal does not become endorsed without a "secret, special super-plan" to help the UN or whomever is left there to forge a peace for all involved out of the set of circumstances the US and UK spearheaded/created, and that a localised internal conflict nightmare between contingents (which of course will harm civilian innocents more than anyone else) is not the next step...

Secret Plan To Quit Iraq
    EXCLUSIVE By Simon Walters, Mail on Sunday

Britain And America are secretly preparing to withdraw most of their troops from Iraq - despite warnings of the grave consequences for the region, The Mail on Sunday has learned.
    A secret paper written by Defence Secretary John Reid for Tony Blair reveals that many of the 8,500 British troops in Iraq are set to be brought home within three months, with most of the rest returning six months later.

The leaked document, marked Secret: UK Eyes Only, appears to fly in the face of Mr Blair and President Bush's pledges that Allied forces will not quit until Iraq's own forces are strong enough to take control of security.

If British troops pull out, other members of the Alliance are likely to follow. The memo says other international forces in Southern Iraq currently under British control will have to be handled carefully if Britain withdraws. It says they will not feel safe and may also leave.

Embarrassingly, the document says the Americans are split over the plan - and it suggests one of the reasons for getting British troops out is to save money. Mr Reid says cutting UK troop numbers to 3,000 by the middle of next year will save £500 million a year, though it will be 18 months before the cash comes through.

The document, Options For Future UK Force Posture In Iraq, is the first conclusive proof that preparations for a major withdrawal from Iraq are well advanced...

...Mr Reid states that his proposal is not yet a "ministerially endorsed position" - or Government policy - though he clearly believes it should be.

Significantly, he underlines the serious impact on other Allied troops in the area now under British control, including 550 Japanese engineers rebuilding the infrastructure and 1,400 Australian soldiers: "The Japanese will be reluctant to stay if protection is solely provided by the Iraqis. The Australian position may also be uncertain..."

...The document states: "There is a strong US military desire for significant force reductions.

"Emerging US plans assume 14 out of 18 provinces could be handed over to Iraqi control by early 2006, allowing a reduction in [Allied troops] from 176,000 down to 66,000. There is, however, a debate between the Pentagon/Centcom, who favour a relatively bold reduction in force numbers, and the multinational force in Iraq, whose approach is more cautious."

A Downing Street source said: "We have always said we will scale down our presence in Iraq when the Iraqis are capable of providing security. But we will not do it before then."

The Ministry of Defence last night confirmed the leaked document was genuine. Mr Reid said: "This is but one of a number of papers produced over recent months covering various scenarios. We have made it plain we will stay in Iraq for as long as is needed. No decisions on the future of UK forces have been taken.

"But we have always said it is our intention to hand over the lead in fighting terrorists to Iraqi security forces as their capability increases. We therefore continually produce papers outlining possible options. This is prudent planning..."

Hmmm...thoughts? Sounds like the will to leave certain aspects of Iraq secured by those permanent bases (14 "green zones," if you will), and to leave the rest to civil war, is a serious consideration...

2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Another UK memo. Geez, the left has been busy concocting phony memos again. Hopefully they used the right typewriter this time.

3. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    Yeah, I'll bite the bullet on that one. I was called up by the Left Central Organizing Committee to be on the planning group for that particular vast liberal conspiracy. Honestly, I was really stoned all day and dropped the ball on the font. You should have seen the dressing down Dan Rather gave me (he gets angry after his fourth scotch).

Oh yeah, and to all theother members of the left on this board: we moved the meeting on wednesday from 6:00 to 7:30. A-M brings appetizers and N-Z brings drinks.

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian,

I guess the ONLY option is to assume that the memo is a fake. After all, the way the administration has carried on and on and on about how we are going to stay the course, there's really no way it could be true? Right?

Meanwhile, WashPo has picked up the story.

5. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "...the paper, which is marked "Secret -- UK Eyes Only," said..."

If this story is true, those that divulged it (media) would be subject to arrest and imprisonment for divulging classified information; since they're not, the "paper" is a falsefood, a fiction, much like prior attempts to smear this administration with patently false U.K. sources.

6. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Look, can we coordinate a little better than this?

last time, everyone brought the potato salad.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and the time before that, everyone brought paper cups. One more screwup like that, and I'm out.

8. Bman

Bman Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Beverly, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah!? Where're you gonna go? To the Right? Their planning is even more FUBAR. :)

9. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Funny that BigSoccer didn't have copyright issue with you.

10. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why isn't Karl Rove in jail then? And did that make the outing of that CIA agent false?

Actually, I found the real US-UK plan for exiting Iraq - it was amongst the papers of a prominent Brit with strong ties to the US :

FRENCH GUARD
    Frenchie levaunche!

ARTHUR
    Run away!

ROBIN
    Run away!

LANCELOT
    Run away?

BEDAVERE
    Run away!

KNIGHTS
    Run away!

Run away! Run Away!

ARTHUR
    Run away from the stench and the trenchies!

KNIGHTS
    Run away! Run Away!

BEDAVERE
    From these horrible, nasty old Frenchies!

ROBIN
    These frogs and their terrible prattle, are fighting a battle with cattle!

LANCELOT
    We're all full of fear so let's get out of here!

KNIGHTS
    Run away, run away, run away!

FRENCH GUARDS
    You English all are buggerfolk
    Your mothers all are ruggerfolk
    Your army is a bloody joke
    You couldn't beat an artichoke

If battle you choose to renew
    We'll taunt you 'til you all turn blue
    We turn our asses as you part
    In your direction we all fart!

*French National Anthem plays*

FRENCH GUARD
    Frenchie la can-can dancers!

ALL KNIGHTS *To the tune of a can-can*
    Run away! Run away! Run away! Run-run-run-run-run-run away! Run away! Run away! Run away, run away!

Ruuuuun a-waaaaay!

Run away! Run away!

ARTHUR
    It seems like a helpful solution

KNIGHTS
    Run away! Run away!

ARTHUR
    To avoid this French revolution!

We're stuck in a nasty position
    Why don't you take a short intermission?
    Have a drink and a pee, we'll be back for Act Threeeeeeeee...

LANCELOT
    Two, sir!

ARTHUR
    Twooooooooo....

KNIGHTS
    Run away run away run awaaaaaaaaay!

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It depends if they signed the official secrets act or not. If they didn't then there's no comeback.

On the other hand, as I recall from working on M.O.D. work in the past, the classification of secret meant the document had to be permanently stored in a designated room and signed in an out. It would take some determination to "leak" it. Then again, knowing how utterly bored stupid people in the defence sector are, and how lax the MOD is about checking anything (we stored the back up tapes for our submarine command and control systems in a damp cellar and had to keep them, despite them rotting away to paper mache) it wouldnt surprise me if the guy who leaked the papers (if the are genuine) just strolled out with them in his hand.

12. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Let's assume the memo is true for a second. For all those who want the US to pull out of Iraq, and your true motivation is that you simply believe that the counrty would be better off if we are not in Iraq, it's time to cheer this as good news. The initial inclination shown by those on the left, however, is to cheer the fact that Bush is "running away/surrending, etc." That fact sorta gets to the real true cause of why the left has been calling for the removal of troops. Sorta smells disingenious from here...

13. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

I smell that too

14. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    You got that right. The social conservatives all bring Angel Food cake and grape juice, the libertarian wing all bring marijuana, the log cabin Republicans bring rainbow streamers and balloons, and the economic conservatives don't bring jack.

15. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I'm waiting for your inevitable caveat... "Bush can do no wrong!" so we can watch you gallavant after him in a whole new direction, conveniently letting the slogan that got him re-elected--"Stay the course!"--fall by the wayside.

What probably should happen is for Iraq to be divided into it's separate constituencies. Our other options are to leave and let the situation deteriorate until the above occurs in a violent manner, or to stick around for a few more years and then revert to option A. Congratulations, we're in a morass of our own making. :rolleyes:

16. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    I guess the left just didn't want to see more and more soldiers die in Iraq war, which was started on a wrong reason in the first place.

17. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    it may well be concocted, i wouldn't know, but the daily mail is hardly a bastion of the left. it is the UK's most right wing national newspaper.

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting that no government officials in the US or Britain have questioned this document's authenticity.

19. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London

indeed. quite the opposite, it appears:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13383908,00.html

20. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, yes. I say bring home our troops in an orderly manner over the next six to eighteen months starting today.

But in terms of running smack at BushCo for, 'running away', Hell yeah. I'll stick the needle in as many times as it takes. We on the left take it when Rove says the liberals are in bed with AQ, so all's fair in love and war. The more BushCo yells and screams 'we are staying until the job is done', the more we really understand it means, 'its time to cut and run.'

Let's just remember who is getting so many of our grunts killed and maimed, who basically bankrupted the country, who reduced Iraq to a smoldering hunk of ethnic tensions, who did not complete the work in Afghanistan, and is in the process of permanently destroying the US military as an institution. And, one other thing - almost forgot - let's also recall who went and created the most effective terrorist recruiting program imaginable.

21. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Overeact much ?

22. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So the guy admitting that he wrote it is proof that it's fake? How does that work?

Edited to say I'm sorry - I totally misread CMLO's post. Please disregard the above.

23. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks all right to me.

24. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Well I just put some tinfoil on my head and it still looks crazy

25. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. I think that BushCo has some left over. It has 'iminent threat' and 'winnebagoes of death' written on it. So, let's see who is more hyperbolic, and who puts our men/women/country at risk.