UK General Election 2017

Discussion in 'Elections' started by The Biscuitman, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did another couple of hours canvassing again tonight. Got absolutely soaked.

That's about 70-80 hours I've done over the past few weeks.

Off tomorrow to see John Prescott, as long as the little woman allows ;)

Dr. Wankler and Sudžuka repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some of the gang after tonights meeting to discuss the forthcoming visit of the future 'supreme leader', Jezza on Tuesday afternoon...

Some likely souls, (not me I hasten to add), will be up at 5AM on polling day, out leafleting :eek: :D

Sudžuka repped this.
  4. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Notice none of the centrists and neoliberals are telling their people to fall in line and vote for the progressive Corbyn/Labour like they did for Clinton and Macron. No endorsement from Obama either. Do they think people won't remember this come next election.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, they should be endorsing Tim Farron and the Lib Dems, but that would be too controversial IMO.

6. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    24 hours to go and politicians and the media really do stoop to new lows at this time.

Mail doing its usual mouth frothing and May this morning saying she will tear up human rights to help secure the country, while other politicians point out that ECHR has nothing at all to do with trying to sort out terrorists and others point out you can only do what she says by putting the country into an official state of emergency.

Shambles.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You could short-circuit that exercise for most of Britain and just say, 'Vote labour'. We're normally the second party anyway.

Also, the figures there are wrong. It gives the percent of leave voters in my constituency as 66% when that's the percent for the Telford and Wrekin area, not just Telford. IIRC we were at about 54%. The leave voters in The Wrekin, (which is a lot more rural), was considerably higher I believe.

I haven't got a problem with people voting tactically but you can find all the previous results on wikipedia for your constituency.

To wit...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telford_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Regarding the attacks on Jezza... it makes you wonder how much difference it makes at this point.

After the previous 6 weeks, (not to mention the previous 30+ years of the same shit), it's not like people haven't got an idea of who's involved, is it.

Surely people will have already 'priced it in', as they say.

The other stuff... again, May was home secretary for most of the period before 2016. If someone was needed, shouldn't she have done it before we got blown up?

It's absolutely laughable what the papers come out with.

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dont think we allow you back in when you vote a hung parliament or such shenanigans

11. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Reckon May will get a majority of around 60-70ish which is enough for them to say it is a success, but behind closed doors they will know having May in charge has cost them their chance of wiping out Labour.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm... it might be less than that depending on whether the young'uns can bother getting out of bed. That's the unknown. Jezza's tried to turn it into a generational split which, to be fair, is pretty much what the tories normally do... just the other way around.

The thing I do find bloody annoying is that, if we don't win, the right of the party, (y'know... the ones that have contributed nothing to the result for us), will say it proves a left-wing agenda of raising taxes and spending them on the poor, the young and the infirm, has no appeal... and yet, I seem to remember we lost when we had a wishy-washy load of nonsense from them as a manifesto.

Well... unless we're redefining stuff like 'An NHS with the time to care' as a hard-left programme. Yeah, I seem to remember Marx saying something like that, come to think of it :rolleyes:

In 2015 we got 30.4% of the vote IIRC so, under normal circumstances, if we increased that by 6-7%, (as the polls are suggesting), even if we didn't win, they'd be saying we'd increased our vote substantially and are getting close to victory. Do YOU think that's what the right of the party and the commentariat will be saying??? Will they bollocks!!!

The generally accepted wisdom was that pretty much ALL of the UKIP vote would be heading to May's 'Strong and stable' mantra. If that doesn't happen that has to be counted as at least a decent result. But we all know that's not what's going to happen.

Blair and his ilk will be banging on saying we have to revert to tory light... yeah, coz it worked so well before. Well, apart from that whole 'financial crash' and 'two lost elections in a row' bit. Yeah, that was disappointing! :rolleyes:

13. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    A lot of former Tory MP's keep suggesting May is gone if her margin is not big enough. It would give me a small satisfaction, though the thought of someone like Boris as PM sends shivers up my spine

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also, let's just think about this...

We're having the election partly because she wants a 'strong, personal mandate' for brexit negotiations and THEN, even if the tories win, we STILL end up with yet ANOTHER un-elected tory PM???

Anyway, just been reading this...

https://www.thecanary.co/2017/06/07...y-broken-law-last-ditch-attack-jeremy-corbyn/

I'm looking forward to the editors like Dacre being sent to chokey... like THAT'S gonna happen.

jmartin1966 repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  16. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    :eek::eek::eek:

Wow, just wow. Own goal of the season scored by May.:ROFLMAO:

Shout out to Naughtius and his hard work out on the streets!

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If May was right we're going to tear the UK to shreds in brexit negotiations

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You getting drunk tonight or what??? Hope the exit poll holds up.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  20. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I'm expecting a hugely drunk Naughtius on here lately singing away :laugh:

21. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    BBC projecting Telford goes red!!

jmartin1966 repped this.
  22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    So if the Tories don't get a majority, what would a majority coalition look like? Can't imagine Liberal Democrats joing with the Tories?

23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All those constituencies names sound like straight out of Game of Thrones

24. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    also cspan usually carries it

25. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Doubt there would be a coalition tbh. More likely a Tory minority Govt and another election later this year.

crazypete13 repped this.