UK at Spain 1982

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Excape Goat, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    England, Scotland and Northern Ireland qualified for Spain 1982. I selected a squad of 22 players who would make the UK team if the UK entered as a single entity. I tried to select them through the perspective before the tournament.

GK: Peter Shilton (England)
    GK: Pat Jennings (N.Ireland)
    GK: Ray Clemence (England)

RB: Danny McGrain (Scotland)
    RB: Phil Neal (England)
    CB: Phil Thompson(England)
    CB: Terry Butcher (England)
    SW: Alan Hansen (Scotland)
    CB: Alex McLeish (Scotland)
    LB: Kenny Sansom (England)
    LB: Francis Gray (Scotland)

CM: Bryan Robson (England)
    CM: Ray Wilkins (England)
    CM: Graeme Souness (Scotland)
    CM: Trevor Brooking (England)

LW: Graham Rix (England)
    AM: Glenn Hoddle (England)
    ST: Trevor Francis (England)
    FW: Steve Archibald (Scotland)
    ST: Kenny Dalglish (Scotland)
    FW: Paul Mariner (England)
    ST/SS: Kevin Keegan (England)

I have a lot of question marks.
    -- I only took a single player, Pat Jennings, from N.Ireland. Gerry Armstrong, etc earned his rep after the tournament.
    -- Mills played as a rightback at the actual WC Finals. He was also England's captain. Yes, I prefer Neal and McGrain over Mills(I was actually an Ipswich fan back in 1982). McGrain also did not have a good tournament. I don't know his fitness level prior to the WC Finals. Somehow, I took him because he was Scotland's captain, but I did not do it for Mills. I could drop Gray and bring Mills as a left back.
    -- I have no right wing and I need one. Steve Coppell was the last player. Should I drop one of the midfielders or forwards for Coppell? Should I take out Francis?
    -- I have too many forwards/strikers. Keegan and Dalglish were sure in. I am an ipswich fan as mentioned, Mariner must be on the squad.

@comme @PDG1978 @lanman any input would be appreciated.

I need help on the starting lineup
    -------------------Shilton----------------
    McGrain---Butcher---Hansen----Sansom
    Souness------Wilkins------Robson
    Dalglish----------------Archibald
    --------------Keegan------

I am assuming Keegan is injured free. Should I start Brookings instead of Wilkins? I am also biased about Robson and Archibald. I watched a lot Manchester United and Tottenham(the FA Cup Final was the only games they showed in Hong kong). I have no preference between Jennings and Shilton.

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I was only 4 years old so your real-time perspective will be better than mine!

Players I would suggest for the squad though (but yes Robertson was past his prime I know - I just think a 4-4-2 with Dalglish as SS seems best even if Dalglish himself seems to have really found great form after the WC that year, rather than before, even for club):
    David Narey (Ipswich fan alternative: George Burley)
    Martin O'Neill (another NI player, and ex-Forest player too, but alternative could be Coppell indeed)
    Gordon Strachan
    John Robertson
    Ian Rush (if Wales players allowed too)

For a starting XI perhaps Neal to challenge McGrain based on that moment in time, maybe even Narey at CB alongside Hansen, Hoddle in midfield with Robson, Strachan/Francis/O'Neill at RW, Robertson LW, and Dalglish up front with Rush/Francis/Archibald (Keegan as super sub maybe, even if fully fit).

That would be picking the team for myself moreso than guessing a likely consensus though.

Excape Goat repped this.
  3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I forgot about Ian Rush. The 1981-1982 season was also his breakout year too.

For wingers, i would have taken Tony Morley, but he was not selected for England in Spain.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Jennings was past his very best at this stage so I'd say Shilton in goal (if not Clemence) is the safe choice.

It would have been another very strong squad.

Excape Goat repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Of course the team was never going to happen (but I can see why Excape Goat does the exercise and of course in the Olympics the UK does compete as one entity), and even if it had then various factors would determine how far it would get, and perhaps focusing on how the players actually did in the WC would give the best clues in that respect even.

But I thought it'd be interesting to see how many of my suggested first XI (lets say Shilton; Neal, Narey, Hansen, Sansom; Francis, Hoddle, Robson, Robertson; Dalglish, Rush) would get into a joint XI with Italy, W.Germany, Brazil and France....

Italy (Zona Mista set-up perhaps) - Shilton (although I see the argument for Zoff.....but given his age I think before the tournament at least he might not be thought of as Shilton's equal); Scirea; Gentile, Hansen, Cabrini; Conti, Tardelli, Hoddle, Robson; Dalglish, Rossi

W.Germany - Shilton; Kaltz, K.H Forster, Hansen, Briegel (or Breitner in his 'old' position since personally I'd include Hoddle on pre 1982 WC form); Littbarski, Hoddle, Robson, Robertson; Dalglish, Rummenigge.

Brazil
    - Shilton; Leandro, Narey, Hansen, Junior; Hoddle (although based on how the WC panned out Socrates instead of him, perhaps switching formation a bit, or for Dalglish, would seem reasonable), Robson, Falcao; Zico, Dalglish; Rush.

France
    - Shilton; Amoros (or Battiston), Tresor, Hansen, Bossis; Tigana, Robson; Giresse, Platini; Dalglish, Rocheteau.

So that suggests the side would be in the mix, with comparable quality to the successful teams, if the cohesion and form could be good enough. The actual England side did ok really anyway, beating France in the first game of course. Scotland's results don't seem so bad now either maybe, but I know more was expected or at least hoped for at the time. Based on the WC performances rather than anything for Liverpool, I guess Dalglish and Hansen didn't justify the inclusions in the theoretical teams above.

Excape Goat repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Perhaps for West Germany/UK, since with the other teams I've leant towards formations used by the non UK team moreso, it could be 4-3-3 and then Breitner could be in midfield anyway with both Hoddle and Robson, while Dalglish (or even Keegan) could be false 9 in between Littbarski and potentially injury-free Rummenigge.

For the Brazil/UK team, I don't know whether Archibald would fit better than Rush as the CF in a samba football/Joga Bonito style (although especially if there was no Socrates in, there'd be less Brazilians than UK players, I still think the style and tempo would be heavily influenced by having Zico, Falcao and the full-backs in there). I guess that could mean Cerezo instead of Robson too even, but I'd think it'd be likely a fully fit Robson would/should make such a team, as he'd be seen to add quite a bit as a (slightly on the defensive side, unless otherwise required perhaps) all-action box to box player.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I changed my squad. I listen to @PDG1978 and took Rush and Strachan.

-- Mariner and Francis, I discovered, did not have a great 1981-1982 season. Rush, on the other hand, scored 30 goals in 49 games. Besides, he was the only player from Wales.
    -- I also decided not to select Steve Coppell. He carried a serious injury in 1982, despite starting all the matches in Spain. Coincidently, I had his football card from Spain 1982. I just remembered getting disappointed of getting an injured player(Van Moer of Belgium was the other card, I got). I googled Coppell last night and it all came back to me.
    -- I still could not decide about Mills. I could not understand or remember why Mills was ahead of Neal at the WC Finals. I supposed that I could drop Gray and bring Mills
    -- By rep, Robertson should be ahead of Rix, but I don't know the fitness of both players in 1982.

GK: Peter Shilton (England)
    GK: Pat Jennings (N.Ireland)
    GK: Ray Clemence (England)

RB: Danny McGrain (Scotland)
    RB: Phil Neal (England)
    CB: Phil Thompson(England)
    CB: Terry Butcher (England)
    SW: Alan Hansen (Scotland)
    CB: Alex McLeish (Scotland)
    LB: Kenny Sansom (England)
    LB: Francis Gray (Scotland)

CM: Bryan Robson (England)
    CM: Ray Wilkins (England)
    CM: Graeme Souness (Scotland)
    CM: Trevor Brooking (England)

RM: Gordon Strachan(Scotland)
    LW: Graham Rix (England)
    AM: Glenn Hoddle (England)
    FW: Steve Archibald (Scotland)
    ST: Kenny Dalglish (Scotland)
    ST:: Ian Rush (Wales)
    ST/SS: Kevin Keegan (England)

PDG1978 repped this.
  8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not to make you change your mind necessarily mate, but Francis did make the PFA Team of Year, and I think did pretty well at Man City. Not sure what you read yet ofc, but I guess his goal rate and games played record doesn't seem great but it's similar to at Forest in 79/80 I suppose.

9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I should have looked at it. I only saw him scoring 12 goals that season.

I will think it over.

Dalgliesh and Keegan are in for sure. Rush probably got the third slot for "political" reason. So it would be between Steve Archibald and Francis.