UGO, Albright, Donovan, Dunivant, Hartman called up

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Geneva, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugo?!?!? Wow! Congrats to him. I didn't see that coming. That puts 3/4 of the Galaxy backline in the USMNT camp in January....most impressive!

3. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    still no herc. now i'd have to say there's something fishy.

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I am very much a club before country guy, I view this with very mixed emotions. Great for the guys to get this recognition. Even if they don't make the team, it will help tremendously to get a chance to practice at that level and be exposed to different coaching methods. Its also got to be a real boost to their confidence to just know they are in the pool of possibles. Ugo, in particular, has a great future if he develops as we all hope. There are world cups in that kid's future even if Germany is not in the cards.

And part of me keeps whispering, "I hope they don't do too well...." I'm not interested in seeing LAG decimated, even for the Nats.

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm country over club, but I hear you, Cadaver. My personal opinion is that it will be Landon & Albright for the World Cup this year. We can survive that.

6. Anteaters FC

Anteaters FC New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Santa Monica
    I made my comments in the revived "Herc gypped by nats" thread. I couldn't believe it when I read that Ugo was called up--I'm really happy for the guy, even though I don't think he'll make the final cut.

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Fixed your post. ;)

3/4 of the backline gets called up. I guess we really were *lucky* to have won the MLS Cup that we sooo didn't deserve. :D

Does anybody know if these workouts are going to be open to the public?

8. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for pointing me over there, didn't see those comments before.

Last year the Revs had a bunch of guys in the January camp, and I think that really jump-started their season. Of course, most of those guys were offensive players, and most of ours are on defense, but still I think this training will be fantastic for the Galaxy, for their extra tournament play and for the regular season. If Herc was there, that would be the icing on the cake, but there's still hope - perhaps he'll be called in for an injury or if Josh Wolff ends up in England.

9. shortee

shortee Member

Jun 7, 2002
    East Bay
    I really think Herc would be there if Freddy didn't get called up. Such a shame.

I remember reading on the Revs site that Twellman recently had surgery, but I think that was in the end of November, so he's probably close to recovery. Of course, if he's a no go I think Herc would be the first one called up.

10. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twellman had the hernia surgery in Germany that has an incredibly short recovery period - like days. I would bet he'll be ready for camp. Rolfe had the same surgery, I believe.

11. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Herc deserves to be there over ching. Ching has gotten his chances , and hasnt done anything with them. Ching is a target forward , but we already have twellman and McBride , we dont need another . We need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net.... HERCULEZ!

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Cobi would get called up. I think he deserves it. And we still don't have a RM. I mean, come on, Ralston? Cobi would be at least a good option coming off the bench.

13. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What I like about this is it will give the team a running start at the beginning of the season. This should help us in the Champions Cup.

14. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the number of late game collapses and points squandered last season, a better defense could be what LAG needs to jump start their season.

15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugo wow that was shocking to hear he got called up. Props to Ironman, gato, Ugo, and ALbright

Herc has to be mad

16. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    No point bringing cobi into, what is effectively a try out camp.

Arena knows what he brings to the table, so he'll either bring him or he won't, he doesn't need to prove anything.

17. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why is he bringing Landon into camp?

18. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

You need to have some semblance of a strong team in order to get any idea how the fringe players perform.

If you throw 11 players out there with no experience, it's not fair to any of them to gauge how they'd perform.

So you put a solid core, and then put some fringe players in various spots, see how they do.

19. Esco

Esco New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    To see who's playing style is tailored to his liking. He is going to be our #1 scoring option, so in a way, he will be scouting for guys to pass him the ball in upcoming summer.

20. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put it this way, LD may only be 23 but he's an experienced memeber of the camp and can actually point things out even to the older guys. He's also captained the team in the past so his leadership wouldn't go a miss. Also there's a good chance that a few of a these players called up will be playing alongside him in the future, never hurts to get familiar with your teamates.

I wold also have liked to have seen Cobi instead of Ralston.

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. So I'm still gonna hold out hope for Cobi. :)

22. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well you should because he will be on the WC roster

You heard it here 1st ;)

23. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'd be brilliant if he was. We a goal up against the Czechs, then we throw Cobi on to run to the corner, he'll get fouled so much that they'll end the game with 9 men.

You heard it here first. :p

24. nuke

nuke New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Idaho
    What was Bruce smoking? This is exactly the kind of camp that Herc should be invited to. He may be inexperienced at the international level, and mentality might be an issue (I think Donovan alluded to this in an interview a month or so ago). But just think what he could have done with a full season! Even if he doesn't go to Germany, he deserves a look. I'd love to see him eat the Italian's lunch.

Ugo rocked the end of the season. Congrats.

NGR: I am glad Freddy got to go. I know he's too young and immature, but he needs some exposure so he knows what to expect in 2010 or 2014 or 2018... when he grows up. He could be our future. Could be.

25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=352947&root=us&cc=5901

Certain players may have to wait for an international opportunity. L.A. forward Herculez Gomez was named as an alternate to the camp.

"He's in a category with a lot of other players," observed Arena. "He needs to continue to grow as a player and see if he can position himself for a callup and possibly start his international career and get a cap."

BUT LD has his back

One person who was certain Gomez could one day make the jump was his club teammate, Donovan.

"I think he's validated at least a call up to get looked at. It's a different level [on the national team] and he'll find that out. He still has a lot to learn and he'd be the first to tell you that. But his skill you can't teach. His athleticism you can't teach. His speed and his ability to finish - you don't teach that. The other things, he can work on, fortunately. I think he's going to get a lot better."