Ugly teams at a World Cup

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by dor02, Jul 2, 2005.

1. PortuguesEpic12

PortuguesEpic12 New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    U.S.A.
    I completely agree that Portugal played garbage in 66'. The only reason Brazil lost was because of all the fouling Eusebio and his Squad did... That's why I never liked Eusebio... You don't appreciate skills, so you're gonna break somebodies ankle... and not just sombody... THE GREATEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN!? lol

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was in the Euro, not the World Cup.

3. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The game against Bolivia should have been a Korean victory. The Bolivian team are the worst team to have played at a World Cup. The match against South Korea was the only time Bolivia managed to score a point.

9-0 against Hungary and 7-0 against Turkey at the 1954 World Cup. That's what you call disastrous.

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you feeling OK? :confused:

5. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are we talking about ugly teams or ugly people that play for those teams?

cause if so, there are some ugly soccer players

6. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    rene huiguita,

looks like my ugly uncle

bolivia '94 was just a terrible team, saudi arabia '02 reminded me of bolivia

south korea '98 against holland, just that game, was pretty pitiful soccer, but some stunning displays from kluivert, bergkamp and co.

portugal '02 if neone beleives in fixed soccer matches, here's to evidence, and making a shame out of your country, and all your fellow patriots (like me)

someone said usa '90, how's that? they turned heads with their tenacious style of play, and played a good game against italy

and someone said croatia '02, they beat italy in stunning fashion and played some entertaining soccer

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There were no fixed matches involving Portugal.

Truth be told, Korea looked (from about the 35th minute to the bad fouls) willing to pass the ball around and play to a draw. But Portugal went and fouled them, awakening the sleeping giant. Minutes later Korea scored, and Selecao Lite's hopes of shocking the entire footballing world with a second-round appearance were done.

8. SpeedyOne

SpeedyOne New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Whoever said USA 98 was spot on. Really an abysmal performance.

9. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

haha yes i agree with you, but i hated that format the 2 match per team. so i started from 1966. but yes if i made a list from the beginning, i definently wouldve put 1954- South Korea

10. AsanoAram

AsanoAram Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I can't watch any match involving Germany or Italy, sure they have great players and get results, but I don't like their style.

11. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    USA '98 looked hapless against Germany but were hardly the ugliest team at the tournament. Morrocco may have been-- I recall their game against Brazil made me ill. And they were in a group with Norway. Come to think of it, Scotland was in that group too and not playing great football either.

12. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Which teams were actually the worst? I think Greece in 94 might actually be the worst team in recent memory. UAE from 90? Saudi in 02?

13. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    Croatia still knows how to kill a game. That's all I have to say.

14. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Kuwait 1982

15. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    I don't enjoy watching "technique teams"
    so much because I find them inefficient most of the times. Barcelone is one of the few "technique teams" I like but that is mostly because there is some heart &soul players in that team.

16. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden

i only saw glimpses from Greece's games but i liked what i saw. They didn't play that boring. They attacked more intensively when they got their chance.

17. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    France 2002.

18. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Watch the following:

Italy vs West Germany WC 1970
    Italy vs Brazil WC 1982 (The Azzurri weren't as stylish as Brazil but Italy did have play an attractive style and they didn't play catenaccio)
    West Germany vs Holland WC 1990
    Italy vs Spain WC 1994
    Italy vs Argentina WC 1978
    West Germany vs England WC 1970

Those are just for starters.

19. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The US playing an attractive style, especially at Italia 90? How's that? They only had a good game against Italy because the Azzurri's finishing was pathetic and disgraceful.