Pre-match: UFC 117: Silva vs. Sonnen :: 8/7 :: Oakland [R]

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bison1997, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LIVE FIGHTS
    * Middleweight Title Fight: Anderson Silva (c) vs. Chael Sonnen
    * Thiago Alves vs. Jon Fitch
    * Rafael dos Anjos vs. Clay Guida
    * Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Hughes
    * Junior Dos Santos vs. Roy Nelson

TAPED FIGHTS
    * Tim Boetsch vs. Todd Brown (Not announced just yet)
    * Dustin Hazelett vs. Rick Story
    * Phil Davis vs. Rodney Wallace
    * Christian Morecraft vs. Stefan Struve
    * Charlie Brenneman vs. Johny Hendricks
    * Dennis Hallman vs. Ben Saunders

-- Sonnen can talk the talk, but can he walk the walk?
    -- Alves/Fitch has the potential to be a hell of a fight.
    -- I can always watch Clay Guida fight.
    -- Dos Santos is for real. I kind of thing Nelson is, but less so. Seeing as how it's a #1 Contender's Fight - winner gets the winner of Lesnar/Velasquez - I don't think it should be going on first.

2. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Anderson FTW!!!! People will continue to hate on him, but he is the Best P4P MMA fighter on the Planet. 50 pushups if he loses from me!!!

3. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you guys are watching the Countdown show on Spike. Some quality shit-talking going on.

4. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The staredown with Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen was hilarious :D

This is going to be an amazing event . Great card .

5. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Yeah, but unfortunately it is coming from one source....Sonnen. I hope he can do the walk as much as he talks. I remember the last fighter that crossed Silva & that butt whipping that fighter received wasn't pretty
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myRaxbkJN64]Silva beats down Leben[/ame]

6. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why aren't the prelims on TV?

Is there any way to watch this online without paying? Torrents? Streams?

7. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just came across a betting site giving away $75 if you depsoit $200 and make a bet on Silva v. Sonnen.

That's easy money.

8. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Really??? Why you tap then???
    [​IMG]

9. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sonnen completely dominated him for 4 rounds .. Sonnen comes out of this fight with much more credit even though he seems to be an submission magnet !

10. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Yes, but he still lost. Especially after saying A Silva's bjj was suspect, only to get subbed by a Triangle w/ an armbar. He was going to have to tap on one of those attempts, cause he couldn't escape from both.

11. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah he lost but many didn't give him a chance in the first place and he was beating on Anderson for almost 5 rounds up until getting submitted .

12. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    The only thing he proved to me is that talk is cheap & in his case he needs to watch out for triangle. Dude has lost many times to that sub. Has he learned yet??? Nope and I won't rush to jump on his nutsack, especially after calling out The Nog's BJJ, but yet he still gets subbed. Plus the fact he tried to hide the fact by his fake tapping.

13. dooda

dooda Member+

Jun 8, 2005
    Kuwait
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He said he was going to go after Silva and he did. He said he was going to kick his ass and he did. He also admitted to tapping in the press conference right after the event so no he didn't try to hide anything.

Kudos to Silva for locking the sub, but even with the victory this performance did more damage to him than good. For one thing, as an avid GSP hater im starting to think GSP is currently the better fighter. He might not finish matches but he sure as hell dominates them.

14. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Unfortunately you might be right. Now everyone is rushing to Sonnen's jock & requesting a rematch. Personally I want to see GSP & Spider Silva go at it. Ok, Silva has a bit more comp in his weight class, but that is only recently. GSP has zero comp. I just those two to fight to see who is the best p4p MMA fighter on the planet. The rest can kick rocks!!!

15. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    GSP is a product of his environment. He wouldn't be half the fighter he is if UFC allowed knees to the head of a downed opponent, or upkicks to the head of a downed opponent (on his knees, for example). UFC rules are wrestler-centric, which is what makes Anderson and BJ, for example, such interesting anomalies.

16. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And what about if stomps were allowed .. GSP would probably finish every opponent that way . :D

17. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Re: Proposed Memo to Dana White

Memo to Mr. Dana White:

See the controversy that MMA fans are embroiled over??? Make the match between GSP & Spider Silva happen....Pretty Please??? :D

18. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I believe Dana White was going to make it happen at UFC 112 but Anderson Silva decided to clown around in the octagon . I guess it would explain Georges' appearance at that event .

Anderson is scared obviously . :D

19. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali

You know what, I have seen Anderson "Da Spida" Silva fight people in the LHW & win. He is not afraid of moving out of his weight class. GSP??? Don't think he has moved up, but I have seen him fight people that weigh less than him. I don't think Da Spida is afraid of anyone. Did he look like he was afraid of Sonnen??? Nope, he got slammed & took Sonnen's best, but in the end we all know what happened, Sonnen tapped!!! So before you type, think about it for a second. Da Spida is no joke & his bite is worse than his sting.
    [​IMG]

20. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Dude , it was a joke lol ( about Anderson being scared ) But he is afraid of BJJ guys though ..

You should realise Anderson has also fought people that weighed less than him , right ? He's probably the biggest MW in his division .. Anderson can make LHW easily , so it's not exactly an amazing thing to do . And who did he fight ? Forrest Griffin and James Irvin , great ... And guess what , there wasn't a big size different between them :rolleyes:

GSP isn't even the biggest guy in his division , Alves , Rumble Johnson , Fitch are all bigger . GSP is actually a normal sized WW , but he does intend to move up once he overcomes Matt Hughes record of title defences . He's stated that many times he wants to move up properly and permanent .

Maybe it's you who needs to think before typing . :rolleyes:

21. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali

Bro, Da Spida has nothing to be afraid of. Did you see what happend on 8/7??? He was losing, but used his intestinal fortitude & pulled out a "W". Do you think GSP could do better than Sonnen, especially after that bs that he is only a average looking WW??? But I am sure you are quick to point out that GSP is the Best P4P MMA fighter out there. I totally disagree & would love Dana to show the World who is. Fortunately for you & the rest of the GSP nut-huggers we will not see this fight. Ok, I know who the Best P4P MMA fighter is, but I would like to see the best fights available. Not people who think they can beat the champ, but only end up losing anyways. Fights like Henderson vs. Rampage. Tell me you didn't like that fight. If you didn't like it, then I understand. It's just the stuff I like to be entertained w/.

22. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali