UEFA Women's under 17/19 Championship

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Lusankya, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hi, in this thread you can discuss about the UEFA youth tournaments for our girls. :)

Currently the second qualifying round of the U-19 championship has been started.

These are the groups:

Group 1
    Netherlands
    France
    Denmark
    Lithuania

Group 2
    Russia
    Belgium
    Serbia
    Finland

Group 3
    Germany
    Iceland
    Wales
    Turkey

Group 4
    England
    Norway
    Croatia
    Portugal

Group 5
    Switzerland
    Czech Republic
    Sweden
    Ukraine

Group 6
    Austria
    Spain
    Scotland
    Poland

Group winners and best runners-up will qualify for the final round in Italy.

http://en.uefa.com/womensunder19/standings/index.html

Today's results:
    Netherlands 11:0 Lithuania
    France 0:3 Denmark
    Russia 1:0 Finland
    Belgium 2:2 Serbia
    Iceland 1:3 Turkey (a surprise result for me)
    England 3:0 Croatia
    Norway 2:0 Portugal
    Switzerland 1:1 Sweden
    Czech Republic 4:1 Ukraine
    Spain 3:0 Poland
    Austria 3:3 Scotland
    Germany 1:1 Wales

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The second qualifying round for the U 17 Tournament will start on April 9th.

http://en.uefa.com/womensunder17/standings/index.html

Group A
    Iceland
    Sweden
    England
    Poland

Group B
    Spain
    Czech Republic
    Italy
    Belgium

Group C
    Germany
    Denmark
    Finland
    Russia

Group D
    Switzerland
    Scotland
    Wales
    France

Group winners advance to the semi finals.

3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Germany 1-1 Wales, which explains the lack of updates by the thread starter. :D :p

Good results for Wales, Switzerland, Turkey, Denmark, England and Austria. I suspect one of the teams that drew today will make it through as wildcard. (Well, not Belgium or Serbia.)

4. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the German U-19 are missing Kyra Malinowski, but that alone shouldn't explain the horrible finishing (or more the horrible offensive). They dominated Wales for the whole 90 minutes but couldn't score another goal and then conceded after a corner.

Better now having a bad game than later, so I hope they play like they should with that squad and then they will win their next games.

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well Wales had only one shot on target for the whole game and that's it.
    The German number 7 was the guilty party with several misses. I was surprised she was not substituted earlier actually. Also Germany was dominating comfortably in 4-3-3 and then switched to 4-4-2 around the 50th minute and then lost a bit control in the midfield area.

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I bet that German #7 that kept missing the target was the little Rosler girl from Bad Neuenahr?

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Just checked Lena Lotzen is her name, Nicole Rolser was quite good creating openings for others but then was shifted to the right wing and therefore not as much effective.

8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nicole Rolser for me is Garefrekas eventual long time replacement. A few really good senior prospects in that U-19 squad too.

Didn't the U-20 world champs squad only qualify because they were hosts ;) Germany have not dominated the U-19 section for a while now. I actually think the Euro zone has gotten a lot stronger, but what's more important. The German program still has an fantastic ability in bringing through top talent, and all done without a UEFA U-19 crown to show off.

England and France have done great at this age group in recent times, but how many talents have progressed onto their senior squads and thrived.

9. IzzyWSU

IzzyWSU New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
  10. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In the last 3 years two times Germany were eliminated in the semifinals after a penalty shoot-out. The third time they were the victim of that stupid head to head tie breaker.
    So they were always quite unlucky.
    They only had one loss in the last 3 years and were by far the most stable team.

11. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Could you watch the match on tv?
    Or are you currently visiting Wales? ;)

12. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://en.uefa.com/womensunder19/standings/index.html

Today's results:

Group A
    Netherlands 3:0 Denmark
    France 7:0 Lithuania

Netherlands are now in complete control of the group. They will be first unless they lose by 3 or more goals to France. It is also unlikely that the best runners-up come from this group.

Group B
    Russia 2:1 Serbia
    Finland 3:3 Belgium

Russia will win this group, but Belgium still has chances to become the best second place, if they beat Russia.

Group C
    Germany 2:0 Turkey
    Iceland 2:0 Wales

I expected these results already on the first matchday! Germany now in control of the group, however Turkey is in the position to win the group if Germany don't manage to beat Iceland. That would be a big surprise.

Group D
    England 3:0 Portugal
    Norway 2:0 Croatia

As expected the showdown will be between England an Norway on the next matchday. England only need a draw to finish first.

Group E
    Sweden 0:0 Czech Republic
    Switzerland 1:0 Ukraine

A tight group, Switzerland and Czech Republich with the best chances to finish first. The winner of their match will be first and a draw with goals sees Switzerland first. A goaless draw would be the only way for Sweden to finish first.

Group F
    Spain 2:1 Scotland
    Austria 5:0 Poland

It will be between Austria and Spain to determine the group winner. Spain only need a draw.

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I went on a day trip to watch Turkey Iceland and Wales Germany as 2 young Arsenal girls play for the wales team.:)

14. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Three groups finished

Belgium beat already qualified Russia 1-0 and thus take the lead in the best runners-up competition with 4 points, while Finland beat Serbia with a hockey score, 6-4, but can only take third.

Sweden are out despite beating Ukraine 7-1, as Switzerland beat Czech Republic 4-1 in the other match in the group to take first place with 7 points.

In group 1, Netherlands are through despite losing; 0-1 to France, who take third spot in the group. Denmark beat hapless Lithuania (who only got to this stage because of an Azeri withdrawal) 9-0.

As Lusankya said above, groups 4 and 6 are straight play-offs - Norway could in theory play for the draw, but it would mean that Germany can know later that a draw with more goals than Norway will be enough.

15. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    ...assuming Poland doesn't beat Scotland (thought that was a fairly safe assumption after 0-5 on Monday), and of course the Poles score after three minutes.

Mind, Austria still have to get a draw, and they trail Spain by 0-1 after 6 minutes.

16. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Norway won 1:0 so England are out.
    4:0 for Spain and 2:2 between Poland and Scotland, Belgium still the best 2nd placed team.

Germany currently lead 2:0 over Iceland so I expect Belgium to join the 6 group winners during the finals.
    Of course Wales still have a chance for best second place with a win against Turkey.

17. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    3:0 Germany, no problems here and Wales are leading 1:0 against Turkey. One more goal and they've done it!

18. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Switzerland made it and Sweden didn't? :eek: Wow. The grown-up Euros may well look a bit different a couple of years down the road.

19. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sweden's youth teams aren't that good. It was no surprise to me, that they didn't qualify.

Final round consists of:

Italy (hosts)
    Netherlands
    Russia
    Germany
    Norway
    Switzerland
    Spain
    Belgium

20. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    England fudged up, but well done Belgium :eek:

I like how the Uefa women's championships are evolving over time. The Euro region not so far down the line, should poses the deepest talent and competition in the world.

21. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Today the second qualifying round of the Under-17 European Championship begins.
    http://en.uefa.com/womensunder17/standings/index.html

Group 1, 2 and 4 will all play today, monday and thursday. Group 3 starts on April 21st.

Group 1
    Iceland (pot 1)
    Sweden (pot 2)
    England (pot 3)
    Poland (pot 4)

Sweden - Poland
    Iceland - England

It is extremely hard to predict the U-17 women. In my opinion Iceland, Sweden and England can all 3 finish first. Don't rely too much on the seeding. For this qualifying round they only used the results of the first qualifying round for seeding purposes: http://en.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/01/55/45/34/1554534_DOWNLOAD.pdf

So Iceland are a pot 1 team but only because they got a very easy group with two absolute no hopers in it.

You could use the seeding list for the first qualifying round of 2011/2012 which covers the last three years. However teams change drastically from year to year, so this might not be too reliable.
    http://en.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/01/55/45/31/1554531_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Group 2
    Spain
    Czech Republic
    Belgium
    Italy

Spain - Belgium
    Czech Republic - Italy

Spain as title holders are obviously the favorites here.

Group 3
    Germany
    Denmark
    Finland
    Russia

Germany are the top seeded team and didn't have to play qualifiers, so we can't rate them very good. They should be the top favorites to reach the semifinals in this group, but I guess it won't be as easy as during the last years. Denmark as the hosts could upset them.

Group 4
    Switzerland
    Scotland
    Wales
    France

Switzerland - Wales
    Scotland - France

My prediction is either the hosts, Switzerland, will make it or France.

22. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    group 1

Sweden - Poland 1-3
    Iceland - England 2-0

changing of the guard here.

group 2

Spain - Belgium 2-0 - defending their champion status. Four players from the XIV that beat Ireland in the final are still here.
    Czech Republic - Italy 1-1

group 4

Switzerland - Wales 1-1
    Scotland - France 1-4

France pretty hefty favourites at this stage

23. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Group 2 and group 4 results pretty much as I expected, but group 1 :eek:!

Seriously, how could Sweden lose against Poland? :confused:

24. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    The Poles apparently managed to counter-attack in headwind - one goal after a penalty on the counter, one from a set piece. Sweden knew they had weak wingbacks, but still got stuck in the centre as they pushed to come back. (Swedish federation report)

That, and Sweden aren't very good at this age level. Norway, who went out to Finland, beat them 6-3 over two matches in Umeå last August, and they were 6th in the Nordic Cup tournament in July (losing to Iceland).

25. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    England 1:0 Sweden
    Poland 0:2 Iceland

Iceland already group winner after MD2.

Czech Republic 0:1 Belgium
    Italy 1:6 Spain

Spain already group winner as well.

Switzerland 0:2 France
    Wales 1:1 Scotland

Oh did I mention that this group is already decided as well? No? France have already secured first place.

The third matchday will be very boring. :(