UEFA Women's Euro 2022 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jul 7, 2021.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    According to what was said at the time of choosing the grounds in 2019, a lot of clubs/cities were not interested in hosting games.

The original fixture list has the usual pre-arranged A1 v A2, A1 v A3 etc...
    Then before the draw UEFA and LOC actually removed this except for England by saying Group B, C and D games in the location but not which games to be played to give them space to select the biggest ground for the most likely sell-out games. They clearly underestimated the Icelandic fans....

France v Italy will actually not sold well funnily enough. France fans do not travel in numbers...

Páll Guðmundsson repped this.
  2. Páll Guðmundsson

Valur FC
    Iceland
    Sep 14, 2018
    Reykjavík
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    The capacity is 7000 but there are only 4.700 seated stands. Only seated stands will be used according to UEFA.

3. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
  4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    According to the BBC

Euros group stage venues Capacity for the Euros
    Old Trafford 73,200
    St Mary's Stadium 31,600
    Bramall Lane 30,400
    Brighton & Hove Community Stadium 30,300
    Stadium MK 28,600
    Brentford Community Stadium 17,600
    New York Stadium 11,000
    Leigh Sports Village 8,100
    Manchester City Academy Stadium 4,700

Lechus7 and Klingo3034 repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wait, I thought New York was in America! :eek:

:p

6. Páll Guðmundsson

Valur FC
    Iceland
    Sep 14, 2018
    Reykjavík
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    A very weak response from UEFA in my opinion. In fact I feel UEFA has only added to the insult. The Icelandic FA along with the president of Iceland are now drafting a letter to UEFA, urging them to reconsider their choice of venue.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61162603

Bauser repped this.
  7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think the biggest problem is the tournament takes place when football pitches are relaid and prepared for the new season. A lot of clubs were not interested in hosting games.

8. Páll Guðmundsson

Valur FC
    Iceland
    Sep 14, 2018
    Reykjavík
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    Which I find shameful and to their embarrassment. Why not for once to try to be on the right side of history, like Barcelona for example.

9. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sadly football is a business in England not a sport. All about the ££££

10. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I agree. Screw EPL clubs: the English FA should have used whatever leverage it might have had to get them to host games. It's the Euros--show some respect to the women and the premier European championship.

11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I don't have an issue with these venues except for Leigh Sports Village and
    Manchester City Academy Stadium. Very odd to pick those venues given both how small they are and the fact they are not even all-seater. Otoh, I wouldn't go with larger Premier League stadia anyway, but grounds in the 20k to 25k range. For example, Wigan, Preston, Blackburn and/or Burnley in the northwest in place of the aforementioned two.

JanBalk, blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The only leverage they have on men's club is either to threaten to expel them for the FA Cup the following season or threaten to expel their women team from the FA WSL for the following season. The men's competitions Premier League and below are controlled by independent companies from the FA.

Or they could threaten to not register men players for the upcoming season, but that's about it. Men's football got independent from the FA back in 1992.

SiberianThunderT and L'orange repped this.
  13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It really didn't. Even before '92 all leagues were separate entities from the FA. But the FA retains overall control of football, both male and female. But its leverage over individual clubs providing facilities for international games is definitely limited. After all, these are independently owned businesses. But I still think there are enough stadia in the 20-25k range that they could avoid the two under 10k venues. Hopefully, the FA will be pressured to go that route.

L'orange repped this.
  14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

UEFA:rolleyes:

blissett repped this.
  15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Their hand is tied down by CAS not making a decision on the appeal from Russia.

The article from the Athletic mentions Ceferin saying " we will probably have a draw between the the teams who nearly qualified" so the Czech Republic, Portugal and Ukraine.

blissett repped this.
  16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #217 Lechus7, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    My take is UEFA has made the call to suspend Russia in order to appease the public outrage... but then instead of following it through they passed the ball to CAS.

Sportswashing exist. One could only wonder how many inside UEFA has ties to Russia money.

EDIT: Many of the governing bodies in Russia, including those in biathlon, football, gymnastics, rugby union, and volleyball, have filed appeals against the sanctions to the CAS.

None of the appeals submitted have been successful.

Looks like decission about football suddenly can't be reach nor as fast or with the same approach.

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    A lot of these international organizations do have corrupt members and often seem to cave when under pressure. The IOC banned the Russian Federation from the last summer Olympics, didn't it, for systemic doping--but then later caved and said any Russian athlete could compete who didn't have a doping case going on against him or her.

18. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  20. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I don't even try. I just buy individual team/player stickers on eBay and leave it at that. Although maybe I should give it a shot this year.

21. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Honestly, the best/simplest way is just to buy the complete album from Panini when it's over :whistling:. Last time I indeed only got the starter pack and some individual players ...

22. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Huh. I didn't know that was even a thing. So, if you can buy them all anyway, why bother with the packs? Resale/trade?

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I completed countless albums and I eagerly wait for the release date. :p:p:p

Bonnie Lass and desinho repped this.
  24. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ebay has them already on sale for the full album:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194973493885?hash=item2d65536a7d:g:VUUAAOSw5QFiVX1W

I completed WWC 2011,2015 and 2019 plus Euro 2017. Some of my stickers are actually signed by the players.

Bonnie Lass, desinho and blissett repped this.