UEFA Women's Euro 2022 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jul 7, 2021.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    haha really? I knew it was weird, but I thought it was still clear what I was suggesting. Sorry for any confusion! Did you want clarification? (or just dismissing it :laugh:)

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure which one: tempted by both options! :p

3. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who is playing in Group C? If there is a Group C there should also be a Group A and a Group B. Who is playing there?

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Group C is the only one directly affected by Russia's suspension; none of groups A, B, or D have lost a team.

The idea was we have 3 teams left in group C, and three playoff losers. 6 teams = 3 games per matchday, with one "cross-group" match between existing teams from group C and and "shadow group". As a potential setup:

MD1 - NEDvSWE, SUIvPOR, CZEvUKR
    MD2 - SWEvSUI, NEDvUKR, PORvCZE
    MD3 - SUIvNED, SWEvCZE, UKRvPOR

The second match in each of those triples would count for points in group C, while the third match in each triple counts for the "shadow group" standings. If the "shadow group" teams collectively earn enough points in those three crossover matches, (as if they're functioning like a single team within group C,) then the winner of the "shadow group" moves on.

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #180 blissett, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    Ok, now that I somehow grasped the idea, maybe I should have directly gone with "dismissing it". :p

My main point is: with so many intricacies and so few "direct rewards" to single clashes, what does make you think that this would be a particularly fair set up to the teams originally in group C? (Or for those in the "shadow group", for that matter: what, for instance, if Portugal win their match vs Switzerland, but badly lose in the shadow group matches; meanwhile let's say Czech Republic win another cross-point and the shadow group itself and they advance on the back of Portugal's win: no questions? :cautious:).

6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So you want this:
    NED v SWE 1:1
    SWE v SUI 1:1
    SUI v NED 0:3

SUI v POR 1:2
    NED v UKR 8:0
    SWE v CZE 1:1

CZE v UKR 1:1
    POR v CZE 0:0
    UKR v POR 1:1

1. NED 7 12-1
    2.Shadow 4 3-10
    3.SWE 3 3-3
    4.SUI 1 2-6

Shadow group
    1.UKR 2 2-2
    2. POR 2 1-1
    3. CZE 2 1-1

Netherlands and Ukraine in the quarterfinal!:eek::ROFLMAO:

7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A little more articulated, but it was basically my same objection: do we really want a team to advance by never beating an original and legitimately qualified group team and by someway topping a group of non-qualified teams, on the back of a random win by another non-qualified team? :coffee:

Lohmann repped this.
  8. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It isn't a dumb idea but it feel like it is a bit much impact in the drawing of lots who gets who in the meetings between C and shadow.
    But that's is not much of a problem as any team losing against either Czech Republic, Portugal or Ukraine do not have anything to do in the QF anyway.

But I think to just have a quick three team tournament to decide who get the spot would have been faster and easier (could even add a 4th to make it more standard, Slovenia is the team that would have been 2nd in group A with no Russia so the last team with any claim).
    But that would mean acting fast and that do not seem to be on UEFA's agenda, seem they prefer to wait and hope any reason to forgive Russia and take them back in or maybe they just want to minimize the risk that the replacement are able to prepare properly.

9. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    I reckon at the last minute they will announce Portugal at the last minute

JanBalk repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think the same.

At the same time it delays the Panini album as they don't know who to put in.

blissett repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good point: is there a scheduled release date?

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bonnie Lass and blissett repped this.
  13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    It's gonna be the last one from Panini in 2020's

15. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, I am not happy, I don't like Topps, they are overpricing stuff.

Klingo3034 and Lechus7 repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Panini is sacred for me. :( Why?

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Business decision by UEFA, Topps probably give more money.
    Panini still has the FIFA WC and WWC.

Lechus7, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I see that not only Ukrainian top-referee Kateryna Monzul, that is currently hosted by Italian Federation, is listed, but also her lineswoman Maryna Striletska (not sure if she could also keep up with her activity lately and where :cautious:).

20. Páll Guðmundsson

Valur FC
    Iceland
    Sep 14, 2018
    Reykjavík
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
  21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Hadn't really thought much about the venue situation--but I completely agree with Gunnarsdottir. England have all these EPL stadiums--and yet only one is being used for Group Stage matches? I get that you may not fill a 70K stadium but UEFA seems to have essentially chosen a bunch of junior venues for most of the games. That is insulting.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #198 SiberianThunderT, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    According to the FA's site, the Academy Stadium seats 7k instead of 4.7k... But that's splitting hairs. I totally agree that anything under 10k is insulting by itself, as is using "academy" stadiums. Like, even if you think EPL stadiums are too big for most matches, it would be better to use the mid-size EFL Championship stadia instead of EPL "academy" venues.

It's especially baffling considering they didn't know what teams would land in which stadia from the draw. I mean, what would have happened if the draw saw Germany-Spain happen in one of the two smallest stadia for the tournament? Heck, even the 17k venue that match landed in is probably too small for that match. And then they've forced France-Italy into a 12k venue... Ridiculous

23. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    They have about 20 stadiums in England alone that can go 20k to 30k and a dozen more that does 30k and up to 40k.

24. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    The capacity is reduced due to the large press section at these events. The many rows of TV commentators eat up a lot of space alone, which makes it even more ridiculous to select a 7000 seats stadium for a match in these finals.