UEFA Women's Euro 2022 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Spitse, Groenen, and van de Donk - a Euro winning/WWC finalist midfield; Groenen and van de Donk part of a midfield that was a late Martens PK away from the Olympic semifinals. Spitse and Groenen missed very marginal time out of total available minutes; van de Donk got some more rest than Groenen over this three tournament stretch. Some fans have for whatever reason claimed that the midfield has been the biggest issue for the Dutch for a while; I may not be a big fan of Spitse, but that's an absolutely wild take.

The above is part of my argument against those fans worried about Vilda overworking a high energy midfield that gets universally praised as the best midfield on the planet. If you want Spain to win the Euros, don't you want Guijarro-Bonmati-Putellas playing almost the entire tournament? That's what Wiegman chose to do with a midfield that pretty much everyone would say was/is much less gifted/talented. I mean I definitely agree with people that Vilda made a bad decision to leave off Amaiur Sarriegi and Nerea Eizagirre considering Spain's historical issue with goal scoring and Hermoso missing the Euros, but I don't think you can praise Spain's big midfield 3 the way so many do and yet go after Vilda for putting all his eggs into that midfield.

Also, after Putellas scored today vs Italy, there have been reactions saying she's playing/acting like Spain's no 9 and that Putellas is carrying Spain. Well, she's a goalscoring midfielder that won the last Ballon d'Or, and she's the team's star player. Not exactly surprising she got on the scoresheet. However, if all these fans are really just saying Putellas has to be great for Spain to do well in the Euros, I do agree with that.

blissett repped this.
  2. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    The Euro winning odds based on the average of all major betting companies right now:

Spain 3/1
    England 9/2
    France 5/1
    Netherlands 5/1
    Germany 7/1
    Sweden 7/1
    Norway 15/1
    Denmark 28/1
    Italy 30/1
    Austria 66/1
    Switzerland 66/1
    Iceland 80/1
    Belgium 95/1
    Portugal 100/1
    Northern Ireland 240/1
    Finland 250/1

Italy looks like good value for money. Spain, with poor tournament pedigree, not so much. Then again, so too had the Dutch before 2017. I'm sensing at least one team from the lower half will make the semi-finals. :coffee:

Klingo3034, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  3. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Partisans of the team in general and Caroline Seger in particular might like to check out The Guardian's article on Team Sweden. Spoiler alert: "all-time hero"??

blissett repped this.
  4. Actually, given what I've been seeing of them before EC2017 I wasnot going to expect a deep run either. However coach Wiegman used the time not needed to qualify to build a TEAM and get the composition of the team and the tactics fitting for them sorted out before the start of the tournement.
    So basically the team formed away from the limelight and got the benefit of the surprise.

blissett repped this.
  5. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The Guardian's preview of Team France is out. Goodness, the drama, the repulsive reality! But "All-time Hero" = Wendie Renard is hard to argue with.

"Take the Mona Lisa. Its sublime appearance hides a structure in pain, a varnish cracked to the point of not shining as it should. This observation applies to the French team, in all its ambivalence, fabulous and alarming at the same time. Its radiant aspect is the sporting side, while the repulsive reverse is the reality of the dressing room."

Bonnie Lass repped this.
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Honestly their views are outdated a bit. Things have evolved. Like Diacre and the Lyon coach Bompastor actually get on well.

7. It's an Anglo-Saxon thing, even quality papers get infected by it, to lazy rinse and repeat happenings from the past as if it's still a thing when it's about foreign teams.

8. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Putellas with knee sprain...:speechless:

9. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    aie aie aie :(

blissett repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    nnoooooo :cry::thumbsdown:

blissett repped this.
  11. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    losing our best player right before the tournament...ugh

jnielsen repped this.
  12. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Very tough break for Putellas; hope she has a quick, safe recovery. ACL injuries happening at an alarming rate in women's football with several high profile players suffering them. Some people put it down to too much football, but when it comes to the high profile players apart from Putellas (Spanish top flight), I continue to struggle to see where there's that much fixture congestion. Regardless, something has to be done to try and figure this out (i.e. more research, better training/recovery methods, better treatment, etc.).

jnielsen repped this.
  13. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Did Putellas suffer an ACL or just a sprained knee?

14. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, losing Putellas on the inaugural day of the tournament: great start! :(:(:(:(:(

Also, I've just seen Spain draw Italy in a friendly match a few days ago mostly on the back of Putellas: can seem too much obvious to even mention, but Spain's chances to win the title significantly decrease without her.

kribi repped this.
  16. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Will there be threads for each group?

L'orange repped this.
  17. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The worst thing that could happen to Putellas just few days before Euro.
    Terrible for her and all the Spain 's supporters :(:(

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    I’m back to observe the €uro’s.
    Might even be going to the Swe/Ned match if my connection comes through !

19. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    This is the premier first-game match-up.....

20. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. Terrible for all who just want to see the best the participating countries have.

kribi, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  22. Losing both Hermoso and Putellas really is unbelievable.

jnielsen, kribi, Ethan Frank and 3 others repped this.
  23. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Hardly surprising, but interesting to see the gap in UEFA's prize money for the men's Euros last year compared the women's tournament this summer:

.......................................................... Men / Women
    qualification to the tournament......€9.25m / €600k
    a draw in the group stage...............€750k / €50k
    a win in the group stage..................€1.5m / €100k
    round of 16......................................€2m / (no such round)
    quarter-final.................................... €3.25m / €205k
    semi-final........................................€5m / €320k
    losing final.......................................€7m / €420k
    winning final................................... €10m / €660k

jnielsen repped this.
  24. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    Sorry if I missed this in the thread or if this has been mentioned. May I know if there are any free live streams for the games? Thank u so much!

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bit late, but sticked all the threads, including this one.

Lechus7, blissett and Lohmann repped this.