UEFA Women's Euro 2022 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Jul 7, 2021.

1. I don't think UEFA is making anywhere close to the money for this tournement compared to the men Euro's.
    Price money is a reflection of the revenues made.
    However when it comes to payment by the FA's of the players the Dutch are now in equal pay mode. Iirc we're not the only one in UEFA.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The FFF way is equal percentage of prize money: 30% of the UEFA money divided beetween players and staff. So about 30k if they win everything.

The FFF president doubled that money in the end to 60k.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #328 JanBalk, Jul 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    Swedish FA recently made the same agreement for WNT and MNT not similar actually the same. That agreement do not include major tournament bonuses these will be decided on a tournament for tournament basis.
    Which I suspected will mean that the men's bonuses will be more actual money and the woman's bonuses a much higher % of the prize money.
    For Women's Euro 2022 the WNT will get bonuses that are close to 100% of the UEFA money that our FA get for their performance (well that is what the newspaper and the FA says, but I wouldn't trust a Swedish journalist with any Mathematics more advance than 2+2=4 ).

jnielsen, jocasta and blissett repped this.
  4. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Not going to Sheffield after all.
    Return train fair was almost $250.
    and it’s on my tv and on at the pub.

Klingo3034, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is one case when I actually hate to have to say "I told you so", but it looks like the analisys I made a pair weeks ago was fundamentally right:

The only thing I will add is that mainstream Italian media, who had never known anything about women's football (see the improvised commment-guys at most matches), are the more responsible for creating an atmosphere of unnatural expectation, as if Italy could realistically reach something more than a quarter-final.

Probably, with Italy men's NT crashing out of the WC, there are many actors in Italy who have a vested interest in "pushing" woman's football (TVs, media in general, Serie A's teams who mostly have a women's team affiliated to the men's team and want to make the new professional league a "sellable" product, and so on).

There were too many unreasonable pressures on Italian NT; the players and the coach, though, didn't made a good job for themselves of listening to this buzz, in my opinion, and didn't approach the tournament with the due mentality. They looked too much eager to demonstrate something, after year of women's football's bashing in our country, so they kinda forgot the humility that had gone a long way in the recent past.

Klingo3034 repped this.
  6. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I don't think you should put too much weight on the game last night. The first half was a nightmare, which can happen to everybody from time to time, but tactical adjustments made the second half better. May be the coach had a naïve approach to the game, which Italy paid for. The players didn't show up either and looked confused. Sometimes you need a beating like that to wake up.

Italy can still turn this around and progress.

blissett repped this.
  7. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Beth Mead is the best footballer I’ve seen since the 2019 World Cup

Tobin was right.

8. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Wiegman won Euro 2017 on the back of stellar wing play and a combination of grit/class in central midfield. We certainly saw that from England today and at various moments in Wiegman's tenure so far. I don't necessarily expect White/Russo to replicate what Miedema did in the 2017 KO stages, but England also have a more creative 10 in Kirby, a much better backline, and better depth. I'm not predicting England will win the Euros at this point, but they're the hosts and have a better overall team compared to the 2017 Dutch team with Mead/Hemp and Walsh/Stanway doing what Martens/Van de Sanden and Groenen/Spitse did for Wiegman in 2017.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The fact that, unlike what happened for other big tournaments, video-highlights are seldom posted on these boards, makes me wonder: is there actually an official YouTube channel with highlights? I only missed Germany-Denmark so far, so I didn't need highlights much, but I would like to know where I can find them, just in case. :cautious:

I noticed ESPN has YouTube highlights, but they are geo-blocked.

10. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Canal + has too, i don't know if u can read it

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Also geo-blocked in Italy. :unsure:

12. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No and I also couldn`t watch the highlights blissett posted in the Italy thread. All highlights by broadcasters like Canal+ should be geo-blocked.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This seems stupid to me: at least the highlights should be for free, to promote women's football.

I am ok with the rights of the full matches being detained by single channels, but in the past we always had highlights for free.

NaBUru38 and kribi repped this.
  14. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  16. kribi

kribi Member

Lyon
    France
    Jan 21, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Uefa.tv is fine : since i subcribed (for free), never received a mail from it, boring advertising or any announces. Nothing. (unlike the NWSL twitch....)
    Now uefa knows i exist, well i don't mind. Even if i am not registred at any social media, i go on internet each day, i have a mobile phone, it s too late...

17. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I thought Batlle very much struggled vs Hemp in both WSL Manchester Derby matches last season. Batlle's been great to start the Euros; Hemp has probably not quite met expectations so far, or at least she's been overshadowed by Mead (and maybe a couple other teammates). I'm interested in seeing how that likely battle plays out.

18. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Same with Ferrari's F1 team, as far as I know.

19. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The Olympics was even worse. The YouTube channel had minimal highlights, and only from competitors from countries of the respective language per geoblocking.

blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, maybe I should wait for the end of group stage to launch that, but since the reason I'm doing it is yesterday's match, I'll go on anyway: Netherlands-Portugal was my favourite game to watch at this Euro 2022 (at least as a neutral viewer) so far. What's yours, guys? (Or your top 3, if you hesitate to choose just one).

I guess this is the correct thread for this exact kind of discussions (by the way: I figure we're going to have a comprehensive thread for the elimination stage, after group stage ends? Or we're going to go on here?).

verde-rubro repped this.
  21. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1. GER vs DEN
    2. GER vs ESP
    3. FRA vs ITA:sneaky:

blissett repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A little biased, but can do. I had written: "as a neutral observer", though! :laugh:

23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The problem is that I haven`t watched many games as a neutral observer as I have also supported teams like Austria, Switzerland, Finland and Iceland.

24. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    As a USWNT fan at this point in time I have to say. …

The standard being played here is so far below what I’m seeing being played by Germany, France and also England right now that it fills me with dread.

blissett and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  25. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Beth Mead is the best player in the world right now.