UEFA WOMEN'S Champions League 2021/22

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Oct 7, 2020.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #176 shlj, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Well, yes and no. They are actually 0.333 points ahead of Sweden right now over 5 years. But any point won by Häcken in the Group stage will see Sweden go back to fifth place.

They won't lose their third teams this year as Denmark are 6 points behind and one team out of two still in, with Italy also till in with one team out of two and 9 points behind.

Although my calculation show that if Juventus win the tournament by winning all their remaining games, they will grab the sixth place and get 3 teams.
    Denmark only need 17 points to overtake the Czech Republic

blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol, won't happen! :laugh:

Although it would be neat to have 3 Italians teams in the tournament. last season, Sassuolo would have sure deserved! :)

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, it could be interesting next season, because the 5 years coefficient from 18/19 to 22/23 should see some fighting:

As far as I know it looks like this

2. GER 52.000
    3. SPA 48.167
    4. ENG 43.167

Spain likely to get their third place and direct qualification to group stage back.

And four the three teams places

5. DEN 23.750
    6. SWE 23.500
    7. CZE 22.833

Czech Republic could lose their third team for the season 24/25 if they don't perform in 22/23.

4. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Switzerland had two teams: Servette and Zürich

blissett repped this.
  5. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If a Tennis US Open final between No 73 and No 150 is possible why shouldn`t we get a final between Breidablik and Kharkiv?:unsure: I hope Juventus get your wish Wolfsburg!:laugh: (The biggest advantage of getting Wolfsburg in your group is that you don`t have to play against Bayern or Hoffenheim:sneaky:).

blissett repped this.
  6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #181 SiberianThunderT, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Considering the new format guarantees 10 unique champions by simple nature of the format, (top three nations' champs directly to the group stage + 7 other champions from qualifying,) 11 is on the low side but honestly fairly expected because qualifications from the league path have a high chance of coming from the top 3 nations (already direct to the group stage) or from a nation whose champion is strong enough to come through the qualifying champions path.

Basically, only 7 spots are for "diversity" and the other 9 spots are bloat from the top nations. The only question is whether those 9 spots are claimed by just 3 nations or actually spread to 5 or 6.

blissett repped this.
  7. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    11 is the minimum when last seasons Champions League winner is also the national Champion.

blissett repped this.
  8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, I was just speaking more generally about the format itself i.e. without the permutations of the title holder slot.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Although I sure don't see Juventus advancing from their group, I anyway seriously believe that their chances would be better by picking Wolfsburg, than by picking OL or Arsenal (although the fact you're mentioning that this would be a way to avoid Bayern from pot 1 is basically irrelevant, since Barça, PSG and Chelsea would be equally unbeatable to Juventus; I don't think Juventus can meet Hoffenheim instead, since they're in the same pot :coffee:).

10. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Planning to watch Man City vs Real Madrid and see how it went wrong.

11. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #186 Lohmann, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    I'd say C and D are the strongest and A is also comepetitive but Group B don't match the rest - PSG and Real Madrid draw the lucky tickets into quarters.

blissett repped this.
  13. Neytreenor

Neytreenor Member

May 3, 2014
    I would say that groups B and C are going to have some competition for 2nd/3rd places. A and D have obvious favorites to make it out of groups and the question's gonna be just "who is the first and who is the second?".

14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Think Chelsea can win their group, don’t know if Wolfsburg is still a formidable team in CL. Juventus is not a scary team even with that name brand, they don’t impress me much.

15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #190 Lechus7, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    It's worth to remeber that from 5th Oct - till winter brake almost all those clubs (PSG and Lyon will reschedule their domestic league matches?) will play match in every 3-4 days (UWCL, domestic league, domestic cup).
    UWCL will have much more impact on domestic league and vice versa.

UWCL Group stage schedule

Matchday 1: 5/6 October
    Matchday 2: 13/14 October
    Matchday 3: 9/10 November
    Matchday 4: 17/18 November
    Matchday 5: 8/9 December
    Matchday 6: 15/16 December

ie. Chelsea vs. Manchester City is on 14th Nov - right in the middle of possible clash with Wolfsburg and Juventus.

Besides... Hayes has some work to do because Chelsea dont look convincing so far and this time around Wolfsburg may actually score goals instead of collecting the woodwork all the time. Especially when Pajor is in her best form to date. She scored in something like 14 out of 15 matches she played for Wolfsburg since the 21/22 season started.

16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    So if they can contain Pajor or mark her, Chelsea’s chances of winning has increased?

17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Well.. yes and now. She's the focal point of Wolfsburg attack, no less than Miedema is for Arsenal. But Wolfsburg isn't one dimenssional team. Yeah, making player like Pajor "manageable" is doable (ie. double marking or by using specific tactical set up) but it's also a costly gamble cuz on the other hand it closes some other tactical possibilities in the match. Not to mention that it still can be exploited by the rival team who is expecting this and has plan B.

Chelsea are the favourites of this group but Wofsburg is plenty able to outscore them and Juventus still can surprise them - like they had Lyon last season.

18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have looked at the D1 Arkema schedule, I can't see many postponement being asked by the clubs. With games played on Friday, Saturday and Sundays, there is flexibility to chose when they will on the week-end.

Regarding the FA WSL, well it is a messy scheduling so....anything is possible.

Lechus7 repped this.
  19. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    They will just have to get used to it. In NWSL some teams had like 4 to 5 games roughly 2 weeks or more.

20. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Interesting to note that Real Madrid, after their big win over Manchester City, manages to follow up, by losing their first two league games 4-0 and 2-0.

blissett repped this.
  21. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Winning fatigue? False sense after beating Man City?

22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Who were the opponents?

23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Levante and Atletico Madrid.

blissett repped this.
  24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, of course Spanish Primera División Femenina is not one of those leagues where just 2 or 3 teams can dominate the whole field... :coffee:

25. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    It’s always Barcelona in the last few years. Without it, the top 4 or 5 would be roughly equal.

blissett and JanBalk repped this.