UEFA WOMEN'S Champions League 2021/22

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by shlj, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    They last played on Saturday. Lack of rest shouldn't really have been an issue for any of the starting forwards, Maanum, and Williamson. However, that's a fair remark regarding Little, Walti, and the rest of the defense.

Similarly, I thought Spain got away with a lot of pushing in that friendly win vs the Netherlands, and Patri's goal in that match looked offside. Like you say, it's hard to get close calls when you're dominated, which the Dutch were as well.

2. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    A bit confused why Parris-Panos wasn't just given as a goal kick or corner kick. I didn't think that was a foul by Parris at all, but maybe I'm wrong.

Questionable PK call for Barcelona in my opinion; justice served with the Zinsberger save.

3. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The first half was so lopsided I didn't even watch the second.

Nobody can touch this Barca team right now; I don't think even Lyon would fare well against them. Over the last, what, six months or so the Spanish club has completely embarrassed the best three teams in the FA WSL--and we're talking three good teams with a lot of top talent. But the Barca style--their preternatural ball skills, passing and possession--seems to baffle the English clubs, who don't see that style in the WSL and don't know how to cope with it. Barca play like they've got an extra player on the pitch--always a step/pass ahead of the opponent. I certainly wouldn't futz around trying to play the ball out of the back against them; that was futile. You might as well hump the ball up the field and go after it, no? The ball was in the Arsenal defensive half for the first 40 minutes of the match!

4. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Tonight's action:

GROUP C
    Hoffenheim 5 - 0 Køge

Naschenweng 18, Billa 47, Bühler 61, De Caigny 63, 90+3

Barcelona 4 - 1 Arsenal
    Mariona 31, Alexia 42, Oshoala 47, Martens 84 --- Maanum 74

GROUP D
    Häcken 0 - 3 Lyon

Malard 10, Macario 48, Larsen 53(og)

Benfica 0 - 0 Bayern Munich

Lohmann and blissett repped this.
  5. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #230 desinho, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    I see the Spain v Netherlands match similarities have not gone unnoticed. Also didn't see the 'pushing' as a problem then either (it's not fieldhockey?)

[​IMG]

Seems I certainly wasn't alone in expecting a draw in the other match :ninja: (saw some huge win predictions at the Bayern IG account)

Lechus7 repped this.
  6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Terrible performance by Arsenal. A lot of players are not good enough for the elite level. They need to buy better players to be able to compete. What is good enough in the FA WSL is definitely not for the UWCL.

Disapproving Hippo and law10 repped this.
  7. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    ^ 100% correct. Pony up to be at the big girl level or sit down and keep quiet.

Barcelona "push" a fraction of what their men's team, or any men's team does.

Miedema did look out of sorts, whether that's a result of being a spectator on the field or wanting to be elsewhere who knows.

desinho repped this.
  8. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season I was positive City and Chelsea will at least give Barca a competitive match but alas! so lopsided. And now with Arsenal it is the same thing. Their midfield completely disappeared against Barca hence the forwards particularly Miedema couldn't get any service. I really believe the coach should build his tactics around Heath if they want to hopefully go further in the CL. She's got the most experience and have actually won countless major tournaments. Having said that, the midfield is not good enough to compete against elite teams unfortunately.

9. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Well, City were competitive in the second leg, and in the first leg, Kelly, a typically quality PK taker, missed a PK. I don't think Barcelona taking things easy after the first leg being a 3-0 win really explains the second leg being competitive, but maybe that's just me.

10. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Did anyone notice the viewership that was posted on th DAZN YouTube games for Yesterday’s games. The two today showed on the screen that the SER vs JUV was 5K and the one with Madrid was 4.7K.

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :whistling:

12. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Tonight's action:

GROUP A
    Chelsea 3 - 3 Wolfsburg

Kerr 12, England 51, Harder 90+2 --- Waßmuth 18, 48, Roord 34,

Servette 0 - 3 Juventus
    Caruso 36, Hurtig 65, Cernoia 71

GROUP B
    Breidablik 0 - 2 Paris Saint-Germain

Khelifi 17, Geyoro 89

Kharkiv 0 - 1 Real Madrid
    Navarro 34

Lohmann and Lechus7 repped this.
  13. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At least half of my prediction was correct. Or have you ever seen such quality of defending in Serie A?:laugh:

blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am almost sure these highlights will be geo-blocked, but I try anyway. :cautious: Young Italian NT's international Arianna Caruso's goal is sure worth watching.

15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Interesting to look at the global viewership of every game this first round taken from DAZN's Youtube channel. The matches had a commentary track from each team relevant plus English:

Hoffenheim - Køge
    Ger: 15k
    Dan: 5k
    Eng: 22k
    Total: 42k

Häcken - Lyon
    Swe: 16k
    Fra: 35k
    Eng: 68k
    Total: 119k

Benfica - Bayern Munich
    Por: 88k
    Ger: 44k
    Eng: 95k
    Total: 227k

Barcelona - Arsenal
    Esp: 126k
    Eng: 306k
    Total: 432k

Servette - Juventus
    Fra: 8k
    Ita: 19k
    Eng: 62k
    Total: 89k

Kharkiv - Real Madrid
    Ukr: 79k
    Esp: 45k
    Eng: 59k
    Total: 183k

Breidablik - PSG
    Isl: 11k
    Fra: 21k
    Eng: 55k
    Total: 87k

Chelsea - Wolfsburg
    Eng: 154k
    Ger: 60k
    Total: 214k

kolabear, Ethan Frank, L'orange and 3 others repped this.
  16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #241 Lechus7, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Very nice numbers in total, especially when other streaming services (ie. ata football) were also streaming DAZN UWCL content.

17. Neytreenor

Neytreenor Member

May 3, 2014
    It's really great that finally UWCL can be watched everywhere in good (or at least adequate) quality and without painful workarounds :). Really hope that some day UEFA will use the same approach for the TV rights for national teams qualification.

But it's a shame that some of these matches are played on stadiums that seem to be unable to produce a good TV picture. Including even top clashes like Chelsea vs Wolfsburg.

jnielsen and JanBalk repped this.
  18. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Attendances MD1
    [​IMG]

jnielsen, shlj, kolabear and 1 other person repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Juventus-Chelsea visible for free (at least in Italy) on DAZN YouTube channel 3 hours from now (I'll be out with friends and I am going to miss it live :x3:).

About 20.000 supporters expected in Turin (the match is admission-free).

jnielsen and Lechus7 repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    All the Group games and knock-out stage are free on DAZN for two seasons, then they will move most of the game to fee paying.

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  21. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    blissett repped this.
  22. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    PSG three up early in the second half. May be Celin Bizet could get some minutes in this game. :cautious:

blissett repped this.
  23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Champions Path - League Path 4:0
    Kharkiv - Real Madrid 0:1
    Hoffenheim - Köge 5:0
    Häcken - Lyon 0:3
    Wolfsburg - Servette 5:0

blissett repped this.
  24. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Kinda slow in Chelsea-Juventus game.

25. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #250 Lechus7, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    I'm guessing that it's gonna be a theme for this season of UWC more often than we would like to see.

For the first time UWCL teams are playing regularly in every 3-4 days which makes it 6-8 games per month (NWSL clubs play what... 3-4 games per month?)
    It's a new reality that hasn't yet been fully tested. I'd expect some caution thrown into match strategies considering: tempo and intensity of the play.

I guess from here on now club budgets - thus bench depth - will really come to play and in much bigger role than in last seasons.

blissett and Klingo3034 repped this.