UEFA Women's Champions League 2019/20

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by SiberianThunderT, May 9, 2019.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    She's Secretary General of the FFF. but it's not like being Secretary General of the North Korean Workers Party, she doesn't run things.

blissett repped this.
  2. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  3. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    #528 Ethan Frank, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020

Some complaints about the UWCL top scorer not being in the UWCL Squad of the Season, but in this particular instance, I'm actually going to credit whoever selected this for not going with name recognition. Miedema scored her goals vs Fiorentina and Sparta Praha while not particularly standing out vs PSG. If you're going to get into the squad of the season as a non semifinalist, I think you had to have notably stepped up in your losing quarterfinal effort. There's a bit of name recognition for Little, but she arguably was Arsenal's best player or second best player vs PSG after Maritz (who maybe can feel a bit hard done by being omitted from this squad).

I do think Putellas is a peculiar omission from the UWCL Squad of the Season, and Marozsan was chosen almost completely based on name recognition.

Edit: I wouldn't really have been that critical if Miedema had been included in the UWCL Squad of the Season; I just think there's some merit to her not being included.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    these kinds of post season "awards" are never worth the pixels they take up.

5. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The analysis is solely based on the final 8. Quite a special way of defining the team of the tournament.

6. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I’ve been plenty critical of player selections for these things before, but I have doubts someone outside the final 8 has much merit to be in this squad.

guignol and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    SuperHyperVenom repped this.
  8. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    guignol and blissett repped this.
  10. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i knew this but it came as a slight surprise : Cascarino never really looks like she's going that fast, always in perfect balance and form.

Gunnarsdottir i had only ever seen against OL, when she sometimes seems to be just hanging on for dear life. discovering her in more varied contexts it's clear she's the real deal and then some.