UEFA Super Cup Barcelona - Seville [R]

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by rms5555, Aug 25, 2006.

1. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Where's the surprise? Sevilla are good.

3. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just yesterday in another thread I was ripped for suggesting that Sevilla could win this game. I really don't know Sevilla, but the reaction to my suggestion had me assume that Barca would win in a walk.

4. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Go back to the other thread and feel free to gloat over your superior knowlede.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Those people shouldn't have ripped you. Afterall, anything can happen in a friendly.

6. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am new to the European competitions and I am using these boards to get some insight. I thought that it was odd for people to knock on Seville so hard when they only missed a shot at CL qualifications on a tiebreaker.

7. villareal8

villareal8 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Why are u shocked? I mean, Sevilla have a really strong squad!

Maresca
    Poulsen
    Luis Fabiano
    Navas
    Alves
    Chevanton
    Hinkel
    Kanoute
    Escude
    Renato
    Puerta
    etc etc

You should watch more la liga, Teams like Deportivo, Valencia, Villareal, Atletico, Zaragoza, Celta, Osasuna, Betis, beat strong teams in regular basis!

La liga once agains shows that is the best league in the world!

8. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    Friendly? you should have seen Sevilla players celebrating.

9. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You should have seen the game. Both teams weren't holding anything back.

10. Achillean

Achillean Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Barcelona the best team in the world my ass. thats what happends when you get too cocky...7 thropies this season...HAH!

11. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    Can't agree more

12. Chuck-Puyol-Norris

Chuck-Puyol-Norris New Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Camp Nou
    I agree. The players took eveything for granted. This was a nice wake up call. Last year we were in 11th place in La Liga, and then we shot up to 1st. With this game we will wake up and realise we actually have to work hard to win and can't outclass every team with ease.

But this game changes nothing. If you can't see Barca are the best team in the world right now you are just blind.

13. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006

They must prove it on the pitch. Having many stars in your squad does not make the best team. Real Madrid 2003/2004 someone ? :rolleyes:
    I can barely wait to see how Barca will do in CL and Primera, having in mind that the team is stronger than last season.

14. Chuck-Puyol-Norris

Chuck-Puyol-Norris New Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Camp Nou
    They have been provng it for ther last two years now. The only change to the team is Zambrotta for Oleguer. It is not like we added many stars and made a galactico team.

15. Achillean

Achillean Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Right now...probably

16. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Yeah, they're going to have to win La Liga and the Champions League to prove they're actually any good.

17. Miller2010

Miller2010 New Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Players took everything for granted and got what they deserve, yet i remeber this happening last season and frank dropping the big names for the game against betis and we all know what happend from then on, so if we are going to lose a trophy but gain that knowledge that we need to be at 100% all the time to win anything then i will gladly take it and be happy knowing that we will give it our all from day 1 of la liga and the CL

18. villareal8

villareal8 New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    this year Barcelona is going to have hell with this teams!

Villareal
    Seville
    Atletico De Madrid
    Deportivo
    Valencia
    Zaragoza

Real Madrid
    Celta! also might give them a tough fight!

19. Tribune

Tribune Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Exactly. A repetition of the success from last season in CL would make things clear since the only team who managed 2 back to back victories in C1 is that great squad of Milan in 1989 and 1990.
    One single triumph is not enough to distance a team from the rest. United did it in 1999, Bayern did it in 2001, yet I cannot say they were clearly superior to other teams like Barca (until 2000), Lazio or Real Madrid. Although a Barca fan, I would say that the success from last year were good, but, on the other hand, Barca faced serious difficulties in CL, they didn't trampled upon the opposition against Milan and Arsenal.

20. aman201

aman201 Member

Jul 27, 2006
    England
    barca are the best club team in the world - DEFO! they lost to sevilla yes but sevilla are very good side, just showed the strenght of la liga really

21. aman201

aman201 Member

Jul 27, 2006
    England

you do know they currently european champions and la liga champions? good

sevilla are a very good side no shame losing to them

22. ibby

ibby New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Manchester
    Your right there is no shame losing to them, but it was the manner of your defeat. 3-0, it could have been 6-1 and you had your best players on the pitch apart from Zambrotta

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Relax, ibby. Since losing that friendly to Sevilla last Friday, Barca won in spectacular fashion away to Celta Vigo in the first match of the season that actually meant something.

Guess they're not gonna win 7 trophies this season. Then again they only have to win 2 to show that they are the best. Those would be the 2 trophies that they currently possess. :cool:

24. munich east side

munich east side New Member

Oct 9, 2005
    Munich
    if "C1" is supposed to mean "Champions League", that statement is factually incorrect.

Fact: NO team has ever won back-to-back Champions League trophies.

Pls don't get me wrong; the 89-90 Milan side was - of course - absolutely stellar, but that was still the Champions Cup; which was significantly easier to win than today's competition.