UEFA- Official: Playoff Opponents

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Tremocos, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    hopefully game is at Alvalade, its where most our good players feel at home.

edit: maybe we should have it at Jamor for teh lulz. bosnia will intimidate us with their craphole stadium so we shud put it in jamor with the crumbling stands and aura of 1950s dictators in the air.

2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carvalho is the one who needs to try to mend the road, he walked out on his country. An Bosingwa wasn't a regular under CQ, they may know something we don't.

3. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    we also need C Martins manuel fernandes and quaresma and manuel da costa:rolleyes:

4. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    So?

Are going to troll or are you going to try to have a constructive thread for once in your fuc kin life?

5. vaiamerda

vaiamerda Member+

Feb 27, 2011
    I agree.

I'm not a huge Bento fan, but Carvalho is the one who is at fault here.

If I was Bento, the only way I would allow Carvalho back would be if he publicly apologized to the team.

I would rather not qualify than take Carvalho back as is.

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I feel bad for Bosnia. They are so close to qualifying but then have to face Portugal. We should beat them again.

7. SuperJville

SuperJville Member

May 7, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Seems like it was yesterday that I was on these forums discussing the match with you 2 years ago.

What can I say, I'm very disappointed for Bosnia. We should have qualified directly but France once again gets saved by the refs to go through.
    Anyways, we are an improved team over the one 2 years ago, mainly in defence. The return of Sasa Papac (CB, LB of Glasgow Rangers) and the discovery of Mujdza (RB of Freiburg) really shored up our defense. Unfortunately Papac won't play in the first game due to yellow cards, and Mujdza's ankle got broken by Malouda (he didn't even see a yellow for it).

I give us a 10% chance of winning.

8. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    any team can win on any given night. you never know.

9. Vitez

Vitez Member+

Jan 10, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    FK Zeljeznicar
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Guys I just wanted to say good luck, it seems like yesterday we were paired off for the World Cup. Two old foes but I think friends in battle meet again.

If any Bosnian posters make trouble here, let me know.

10. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out of those four I'd only take Martins. Q sucks, has sucked for a while, and will continue to. Manny is what he is, and its not good enough. I wouldnt know Manual da Costa if he walked in front of me, and i believe i'm decently informed in football.

Swing and a miss. Sporting style.

11. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I heard there's talk of Mourinho stepping for the relegation games.

Is that at all desirable? Shouldn't the coach who'd take you to Poland/Ukraine be in charge?

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not going to happen. Apparently the same thing was said last time. But all that really happen was CQ and Mourinho "talked". I can imagine something similar occurring this time as well.

13. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Quaresma? i wouldnt even include him in the ntl team.

But yes, Manelele playing game in game out for his club is a bad thing..I mean Portugals most rawly talented midfielder not part of the setup...:rolleyes:

I guess Pereirinha would be better:D

MDC is playing well for his team, and is really the only option after rolando's impersonation of a virgin in a gaudy house and Daniel Carrico descending into obscurity.

Carlos Martins, simply put, Portugal brutally misses a passing creative playmaker with deco and rui costa gone. It forces ronaldo/nani to drop deep to get the ball, yet there 40 metres away from the net where they're not nearly as dangerous and far more easily contained. it's no coincidence Ronaldo immediately stopped being as good for Portugal when Deco got old circa 09/10..with a quality playmaker it doesn't allow teams to close spaces on the wings as much to contain ronaldo/nani, as they'd have to manmark the playmaker as well.

Now...it's far easier to defend Portugal, especially as ronaldo and nani dont get the service they need to be effective the entire match in quality attaxking positions, needing to drop deep to get the ball, which makes them easier to manmark.

Carlos Martins is hardly an inspiring choice, but simply put, there is really no-one else unless Danny is played there, and PB won't do that.

As for Carvalho, he did say he wants to come back and say's he would, but Bento again said as long as he's coach he wont.

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was being sarcastic, those players I mentioned are your long-time faviourtes.

anyways, Bosnia is gonna win and I wouldnt honestly even care. Portugal Sucks right now, and needs a kick in the ass , if we do go to Euro we will be owned.

we need to wait until we get some real players back on our squad, the U20s and other promising players will be filtered in after this epic disaster.

we stood more of a chance with Failroz and his anti-football, but bento is too naiive we will get destroyed like we did by germany in euro 08 (lucky we only made it 3-2) and Brazil in brasilia (6-2). or Denmark could have beaten us 5-1, nevermind that we still do not have a good striker. our midfield is crap, we have no DMs and now carvalho bosingwa atc all leaving we are screwed

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Martins sucks too, im not taling about talent but he is unprofessional, lacks work rate, lazy, doesnt hustle enough hes not good for a top level NT. they all suck that was my point but you didnt get it.

keep dissing Sporting, if it wasnt for us this team wouldnt ever qualify for any tournaments.

Portugal only has 2 good CMs, Moutinho and Meireles (who doesnt look in the best of form either) the rest are mediocre, our third best midfielder right now is between Andre Santos, Andre Castro (Sporting Gijon) and I donno why noone mentions him ive seen him play he seems a decent player or Miguel Veloso thats how bad it is.

16. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much agree with you but Martins is gonna be on the team whether we like it or not, and at least with him playing he has a chance of scoring with one of his long as shots. Moutinho and Meireles are Portugal's best midfields by a distance, and thats not saying much.

Dont know where you pulled Manual Da Costa's name from tho buddy, didnt know who he was, did research, he doesnt even speak Portuguese.

17. PortoDragons

PortoDragons Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    FC Porto
    We will be at the Euro. Bosnia is not going to beat us. How we do once we get to the Euro though, well, will see.

18. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Manuel Da costa, star of the french league in the second half of 06/07 season, was portugals best player in that summers u-21 tournament, transfered to PSV to experience CL footy, put in great performances against Arsenal containing Henry...then went to Fiorentina, where he delved into the partying and night life associated with Italia, losing his original position in the starting XI.

Went to West Ham united in the EPL to start anew, solidified his position as starter there, but got accused of sexual assault and asked for a transfew when the team got relegated.

currently at lokototiv moscow, re-surging this season in russia where they've been one of the better teams, and from all accounts has performed well(2 goals in their 4-2 win over Zenit with Danny/Bruno Alves cited as one such example)

He may not have achieved the success originally believed possible with him, but it seems he might be putting a decent career together, at the very least he's superior to the form of Rolando/Ricardo Costa/Sereno at this point in time.

He also turned down France to play for Portugal.

19. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Shameless Self Promotion!!!! Sure your not Italian

20. Vitez

Vitez Member+

Jan 10, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    FK Zeljeznicar
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

You HAVE GOT to be kidding me. Bro did you see the players you guys have? you can't give up that easily! Our fans aren't giving up and we have a team of nobodies for the most part. I think Portugal is still the heavy favorite and its gonna take a miracle for Bosnia.

21. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the run down Area 51. I have heard of him but I never pushed for him to be on the national team. I did read he turned down France but doesn't speak Portuguese. Whatever right, US team is full of Germans who can't speak English.

I'm worried about this draw. Portugal is the better team but bosnia will be back for revenge after the 2010 world cup qualifying. So long as Pepe and Coentrao are healthy the back line should do well enough to get thru, but Dzeko is in crazy good form for City so that worries me a little. The rest of Bosnia is no City, however

22. Vitez

Vitez Member+

Jan 10, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    FK Zeljeznicar
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    lol guys how do we defend Ronaldo?

23. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't chant Messi, and he wont get into Hulk mode.

24. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nico (Area 51) blows manuel da costa, hes born in France hes also half moroccan (teh lulz) always sucked no surprise you havent heard of him. but Ill agree with Area 51, he cant be any worse than Rolando, etc maybe Area 51 is right and hes maturing hes still young for a defender (24 I believe hes coming to the age when alot of defenders start to come into their own)

Other than that guess we are on the same page, I just wish martins could play how he does on a good game alot more often and work harder.. we can hope I guess. too bad now hes stuck on Granada.

I dont think Portugal will win euro, I think if Portugal plays how we did in last two qualifiers Bosnia can win. you guys have a good team too , yes Portugal has a strong team but it also has serious depth issues and some glaring weaknesses. Everyone talks about lack of strikers but Portugal also seriously Lacks a competent natural defensive midfielder, as well as creative midfielders we are mostly stocked with box to box midfielders instead... and thanks to Carvalho and bosingwa cases we can be pretty thin on D after a few injuries...

25. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    he prolly wont play, this week was Pepe and Coentrao's turn to fake an injury for Real Madrid

next tiem will prolly be Ronaldo's, its like they take turns

one week carvalho, another week pepe/coentrao, another week ronaldo

they have a schedule, the real madrid players are only part time Portugal players it seems

but Carvalho evidently has punched out indefinitely...

Defending Ronaldo on Portugal is easy just put 2 guys on him and hell be frustrated, his passing is only quality sporadically, and we dont have enough support to open up space for him to run and score goals. hell be most dangerous on counter attacks and from free kicks.