UEFA Not Getting a Cut

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by the101er, Sep 25, 2003.

1. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    You can be sure that UEFA is positioning to get sympathy for some type of a UEFA tax on transfers to "help grassroots player development". Which of course, will do just the opposite, since what better incentive would a club have to develop talent than to use that talent to win games and then sell that talent at the highest market value possible?

When the Gerhard Aigners of the world say things like they are worried about the effects some monetary exchange will have on the general goodness of soccer, you can bet what they are really saying is: where's my cut.

Where was Gerhard Aigner when Real Madrid signed every superstar in Europe?

(It's a sign of admirable self-discipline that I was able to write that last sentence with no expletives, since I could have put one between every word. Use your own imagination.)

Where has he been since Arsenal and Man U. have been dominating the Premiership by buying and paying talent?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=278381&cc=5901

2. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Angry with Aigner

What a cretin this Aigner is.

Hear-Hear. Total agree 101'er.

Not ever one to be a conspiracy theorist, BUT might this be something to do with the fact that Chelsea are not part of that beloved G13 – G14 – whatever it is?

Outsiders. You’re not from around here are you?
    Are you local?
    Is UEFA a league of extraordinary gentleman?

3. spectra

spectra New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    UEFA are a bunch of morons. Real spends loads of money each year and never get criticism. Just like you said 101er. £47M for Zidane, £30M + Another player for Ronaldo, £25M for Becks. They buy titles every year. Seems as jealousy runs rampant in the new Roman Era.

4. CFC Forever

CFC Forever New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    His criticism that 'potentially successful youngsters are bought to sit on the bench' is ridiculous. Bridge and Johnson are getting more starts than the old players and usually go the full 90 when they do start. Cole might not start, but he has gotten in virtually every game for at least 30 minutes or so. Plus he is getting Premiership AND CHAMPIONS LEAUGE experience, as opposed to 1st division football.

5. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First you can read Aigner's interview in the UEFA Champions magazine, which is on news-stands even here in the US; its pricey tho, but a well produced and written magazine (I'm in the magazine-publishing business, fwiw).

In the larger context, Aigner is just doing his job, looking out for all levels of european football, it could well turn out that whats going on at Chelsea spurs more youth development.

Reading the article, I thought it was aimed as much at Real Madrid as it was at Chelsea.

Tony

6. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    First off, the magazine is a pile of shite, neither well produced nor well written (Sorry Tony, but it just sucks).

Aigner just doing his job? Are you for Real? I mean are you FOR real?

Aigner said: 'Somebody can buy a team and suddenly they can be a candidate to win the Champions League. I don't think football should be about that.' What he failed to mention is that Chelsea FC had qualified for the CL long before Roman bought the club. So his point is total bs.

Bottom line is, that Aigner is a fool and he should resign. Grass roots football will do just fine without him.

What is really needed is a thorough investigation into what exactly are the long term plans and goals of the mysterious g-13?

7. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BM:

I don't know about you, but any house organ magazine that actually gives its writers room to point out deficiencies in teams participating said tournament is OK by me. Where else are you going to find interviews with Ancellotti or Ronaldo like the ones included?

And I don't know what you mean by not well produced? I don't love everything about the layout, but its generally well thought out and clean. The paperstock is high quality. I don't think the folks at Haymarket are in the business of producing a lousy publication.

Yeah, Gavin Hamilton has a point in World Soccer that UEFA could have addresed racism in the issue, but I think Mr Hamilton enjoys trying to be provocative.

I fail to see why you take issue with the concept of that Aigner might just be doing his job. I believe Aigner sees his job as protector of all levels of european football and anything that threatens to change that is immediately viewed, by him, as potentially harmful [this is my opinion, and if so, also not the best worldview]. Would a more thoughtful, inclusive statement been more appropriate from GA? Of course.

If you read the interview, you will also read his comments about the Bosman ruling, which I interpret as "football should stand separate from European laws." Umm, Mr Aigner, not gonna happen.

Its pretty clear from the first couple of paragraphs in the article that Aigner has announced his retirement next June and is by his own choice, going to go away.

Let me correct any thought that I was endorsing Aigner's comments, I wasn't. But I do think that his point of view is understandable, if misguided.

Tony