UEFA Nations League vs Copa America

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Jun 15, 2017.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So for those unaware UEFA is rolling out the Nations League in September of 2018 where we will most likely be in the top "league" with potential for the semi final/final in June of 2019 at the same time CONMEBOL wants to invite Portugal, Spain, France and Italy for an all Latin, all South American founders/nations Copa America.

This will be the last Copa America in an odd number year and will from then on follow the same Calender as the Euro. My question is should the invite go through I don't see UEFA allowing 4 teams that could possibly make the 4 Nations League semi finalist or at least 2 or 3 out of the 4 with Germany surely a lock and potential for Croatia.

I personally would love to see Portugal go to the Copa. To see Ronaldo try to get his hands on the Copa over Messi for the one and only time Portugal will ever get such an opportunity over the Nations League would be more thrilling and entertaining and mean a whole lot more. The Nations League which will probably go on for years if succesful anyway. Or could we have a Portugal A team and bring back the Portugal B team or U21 team and compete for both if we are both semi finalists and invited to the Copa?

What are your thoughts?

2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nations League? sounds stupid and yet another tournament to grab money and tire players out.

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Pretty much.

I'm against it personally. I would like to see Portugal play once in the Copa America though.

4. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal playing in copa america is really stupid.

if you invite Portugal and Spain like they are saying, and potentially Italy and France, what next?

add Germany

and then it is essentially a World Cup without teams with complete no hopes of ever winning it or making a serious run without Ref help like Korea in 2002 (like Asian and African teams)

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The idea is those nations had a big influence on South America. Better than when they had Japan in there years back. And its stupid for them especially if one of the Europeans win not for us where we have nothing to lose. Plus if a Euro team wins once they move the cycle to even number years South Ameirca will never get another chance to dethrone the champs.

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nations league will be a failure.

They should call it the Latin Nations Cup and then they can invite Portugal, Spain, etc.....

7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No to both.

Nations League is dumb.

Top European teams in Copa America is dumb, and if/when we qualify to the World cup that will make it 4 summers in a row (5 for the u21's from 2015) where a tournament will take place.

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    no ambition

9. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How would you feel if Argentina, Brazil Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, and Equador got invited to the Euros?

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why would they? There is 50+ UEFA members. And we had a hand in building South America and their sports, they have nothing to do with Europe.
    Besides CONMEBOL has to invite nations to make their tournament bigger/more competitive/generate more interest/generate more revenue

11. J.P.

J.P. Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    It's only 2 games. That summer we'd be playing a qualifier and friendly game to end the year anyway. It's no extra games.

And the qualifying games are just replacing friendly's.

I like the idea a lot. Friendly games suck. Make them all count for something.