UEFA Nations League 2020/21 | Oranje journey to glory

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BaritoPutra, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Klaassen Blind just ridiculously slow.

2. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Both Dumfries and Hateboer are often suspicious when it comes to defending, but Dumfries gets into good space offensively and is able to deliver to the box. Hateboer has been poor on attacking front so far.

And Dumfries would never get knocked over to the ground, unlike Hateboer giving up the ball resulted in the conceded goal.

Van Aanholt. Except for that one nice through-ball, I can't tell if he's actually on the pitch :speechless:

Jpows and richsavare repped this.
  3. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Poland isn’t Bosnia though. Can’t just straight up compare them and draw conclusions without some nuance. Bosnia was terrible, we had a lot of space. Poland puts more pressure and they are better organized.

4. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Malen looks dangerous on one v one but Stengs and Depay have not been sharp.
    There are spaces to exploit for Oranje.
    Hateboer blows too.

Jpows repped this.
  5. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    Hateboer shouldnt be playing. We are suffering in defence due to being slow as hell. That said we should be winning given the chances weve had

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Which is why I think FdB shouldve stuck with the same lineup to see how they handle a better team

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Stengs, what are you doing????? Killed a beautiful attack :eek:

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

He said too: "I almost want Veldman, almost" ;)

Jpows repped this.
  9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Poland has already started the timewasting bullshit :rolleyes:

10. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    FdB should try freshen up the midfield! Bring on Donny

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Fabianski has been really good so far

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2-0 Italy. We wont catch them anymore.

Oranje now need to finish 2nd to save face

13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Will be one win in six matches for De Boer...

14. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    unless...

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unless Gigi makes it 2-1 :D

On a beautiful corner by Berghuis. He needs to be a starter!!

Orange14, BaritoPutra and 2nd_striker repped this.
  16. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Corner forced by Dumfries whose cross was cleared behind. Dumfries over Hateboer!

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The only thing Dumfries and Wijndal need to improve on is their defending

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  18. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Unfortunately I couldn’t catch the second half. Good to see we managed to comeback and take the W.

It’s the usual suspects making the difference for us again. Depay and Gini. I think we made it harder on ourselves than we had to.

From what I’ve seen I think Klaassen and Blind (at CB) would get exposed in a big tournament like the Euros. Especially against the top nations. Klaassen just about does everything decent enough.

Hateboer should never ever wear a Dutch NT shirt again as far as I’m concerned. Just bad.
    PvA wasn’t as bad but still under par.

Dumfries and Wijndal. That’s it. Hopefully Bakker as a back-up if he continues to do good at PSG.

Thought de Vrij had a good game. With that being said I can’t wait for VvD and MdL to be back. I also hope Botman continues to do well and is considered as a CB over Blind.

We still have some esperimenting to do with the midfield before the Euros. I have a feeling Stengs would do well as a number 10. We also still have Ihattaren who can make a big imapact on our creativity when in form.

There’s also still Boadu, who I truly hope will come good.

richsavare repped this.
  19. To the Berghuis haters, from the moment Steven entered the pitch things started to happen in the box. It's not for nothing he's the best player in the Eredivisie atm.
    I love Stengs, he drips top quality with his dropping the ball where he wants, but atm I'm okay with him making minutes as a sub in the Orange shirt, as he's not ready to be the undisputed starter yet.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  20. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good result end on a win. It can be better no doubt but Dutch were the better side.
    Couple of thoughts to consider, obviously Blind and Klaassen are solid on the ball, but man are they liabilities defending in space outside of 3 yards.
    Definitely prefer Klaassen over De Roon but I feel you’re playing with Fire having slow guys on the field.
    No more Hateboer who has struggled mightily to replicate his success at Atalanta.
    Stengs was too slow on the ball and needs to understand the necessity to be more decisive.
    Figure out who will be the left back Wijndal or Van Aanholt.
    Malen was pretty good and I will be interested in seeing his development.
    I also think Goalkeeper is a position to monitor as for me it’s unacceptable to start a guy playing in the 2nd tier of England.
    Never been a fan of Cillessen and truthfully you cannot play him as he warms the bench.
    Not bad from Memphis who perhaps plays with too much confidence at times but he needs to push himself more regarding his work rate. Can use Champions League football in the new year.
    Gini was solid again and continues to be a very important player.
    Van De Beek needs to get minutes at United and find a true role/ position.
    Frenkie is just a high class player. Think he can be used even more for Oranje as he develops at Barca. Creates space and draws defenders at another level. Love watching him play.
    Cannot wait to see Virgil and De Ligt play together again.
    On top of their World Class defensive ability they are Huge weapons on corners and free kicks too.
    Watch the development of Koop, Ihattaren, Gravenberch, and other younger players.
    Need them to step up their levels.
    To Frank De Boer please say goodbye to Babel, Veltman Strootman and Luuk, permanently.

Jpows repped this.
  21. @Orange14
    What happened to the possibility to highlight a part of a post to quote it?
    If you want to quote just a part you have to quote the whole post and delete what you donot want.

22. That's why de Roon was key in the Koeman formation. Without him even the defense with VvD and de Ligt got caught out, with him not so much or not at all.

23. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #473 Jpows, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    As if de Roon made us play better. Some people really suffer from short-term memory loss. De Roon has been continually criticized for his lack of quality. He can be useful at times but trades good games with just bad ones. Not consistent at all and never outstanding. At least not up to this point.

As far as the right-wing position is concerned, one good corner doesn’t mean Berghuis is all of a sudden the indisputable starter. The quality of Gini’s header should also not be underestimated. It’s not like he had to just put his head on it.

I still think Stengs is a better player, he’s just obviously still lacking match rythm. Not to mention if Ihattaren can show the form we all know he can.

With that being said, both Stengs and Ihattaren could also do very well as an attacking midfielder imo.

venema20, gabrielguilarte and richsavare repped this.
  24. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    De Roon definitely sat back but his performances were not great.
    I’ll admit I’m no fan of Klaassen but he’s been good for Ajax on his return, and was pretty good for Oranje the past few matches, but his lack of speed is such an incredible liability.
    Playing centrally with Blind was completely exploited on that Poland goal tonight.
    That cannot happen and could have been worse for them tonight if facing better competition who press.
    Perhaps Koop takes that role with greater performances and development.

Jpows repped this.
  25. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    A shame Holland won't host the Final Four.