UEFA Nations League 2020/21 | Oranje journey to glory

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BaritoPutra, Sep 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
  2. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Confirmed Netherlands XI v Poland:

Cillessen, Hateboer, Ake, Veltman, Van Dijk, De Roon, De Jong, Wijnaldum, Promes, Bergwijn, Memphis.

[​IMG]

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't understand Veltman in central defense

4. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Ugh. Disappointing first half tbh. Quite positive I never want to see Ake as a fullback again. The modern-day fullback has to be more of a wingback. Ake is definitely more of a CB. On the other side Hateboer has been decent as best especially in the attacking sense.

Bergwijn has also been quite disappointing. Get Mo and Wijndal in there.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Good tempo, but not incisive enough in the final third... the best combination was literally the last kick of the first half, which was disappointing :speechless:

Wijnaldum has been largely invisible... somebody needs to wake him up. Ake on the LB looked awkward. Also what's up the set-pieces, all have been wasteful. Not anywhere close to Oranje shirts.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I told you guys Hateboer needs to be in the team. He made that Bergwijn goal happen.

1-0 Oranje :)

7. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Yeah... No. Still nice for him and glad with the goal obviously.

8. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Mo and Beek in for Gini and Promes or Bergwijn. Please.

Edit: Thank the heavens, at least one change.

9. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    My word Wijnaldum has been underwhelming to say the least.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  10. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No suprises there.

11. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Being a Barcelona fan I hope the Wijnaldum rumors are unfounded. Not the biggest Wijnaldum fan tbh. He has outliers no doubt, but overall he’s nothing to write home about.

Would rather see an in-form Mo tbh.

12. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #12 wilson00, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    I disagree.Ake was the man of match for me. The atrack on the left was foiled simply because promes was continously cutting inside when Ake was overlapping and plus there was no arieal presence in the box with Depay who was also dropping back. Im sure pep must have liked what he must have saw of ake.

13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    He is out of form since the corona break. He generally does better in bigger matches, and it seems like the crowd makes it happen. Most of the times he has been good against Man City for example.

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Poland was really bad though

Jpows repped this.
  15. AjaxArmy

AjaxArmy New Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Decent game, Poland was content with parking the bus and we finished the only good chance we got it feels like. Italy tied Bosnia as well so all in all it was a good first match day.

16. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Agree to disagree. He did good defensively, never contested that. However, like I said, modern-day fullbacks need to do more than just defend well. Against better teams his lack of offensive qualities will be exposed imo. Second half was better than the first half for him to be fair.

Depay was motm for me.

17. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    I was really hoping to see Ihatarren make his debut and don’t really see why you wouldn’t bring him in late in a match like this. Netherlands were good but little cutting edge. Poland were largely terrible.

18. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    This. Mo really should have been subbed on for Wijnaldum ever since the start of the second half. Same for Wijndal imo. Could have used their offensive qualities today against a piss poor Poland.

19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    They don't belong to the best 10 countries of Europe but are surely better than for example Belarus or Bulgaria. They are a good middle tier country and on their day hard to beat.

20. Indeed. I would have put Aké there in the centre.

Jpows repped this.
  21. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    MoTM for me is Frenkie de Jong. Controlled the midfield, was really good on the ball - and made a beautiful pass leading to the goal. Unlucky not to score in the first half. Depay had mostly good moments, though he got crowded out and closed down very quickly by the Polish defenders. Hateboer is worth mentioning. Apart from his assist, he blended well and put on a solid shift despite this being his first real match in Oranje shirt in a long while.

On the flip side. Wijnaldum was most disappointing. Lost and invisible, as if he went to pre-Koeman form. Maybe this whole Barcelona deal was playing trick with his mind. Ake at LB for me was a failed experiment. He offered no width and caused the offense to be very static on the left side (made Promes easy to defend). Liked his physicality though.

Tactic-wise, I am (still) no fan of De Roon against a parked-bus. He didn't anything wrong, and I thought he was neat and tidy... but overall he was not needed and arguably slowed the tempo down. Also, Van de Beek substitution (replacing Bergwijn) was a curious moment. When Donny came on, the middle of the field became instantly clogged. Would have been better to have Mo Ihattarren who can drift down to the side.

For first match after a long absence, with an interim coach and no crowd... I suppose this is a solid win. I would give a rating of 6.5 out of 10. Italy held at home by Bosnia was a nice bonus.

Brilliant Dutch and DutchFanatic repped this.
  22. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Lodweges was the first Oranje boss to win his opening game in charge of the national team since Frank Rijkaard in 1998.

Whaaat? :geek:

23. AjaxArmy

AjaxArmy New Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The amount of fouls Memphis drew alone is almost worthy of MotM. You could tell Poland had no answer for him on the ball in the first 10 minutes. They had to grab him or he was gone.

Jpows repped this.
  24. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Rating per whoscored.com (screenshot below and link here)

Hateboer MoTM.

upload_2020-9-5_7-40-40.png

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  25. Yup. He was pretty useless with the ball close to the Polish box. Would really preferred him to be played by his strength in the centre of the defense and Wijndal in the LB position.
    Dunno how he was called best man on the pitch by wilson00. Guess he agrees with me about him on the CD spot.

Jpows repped this.