UEFA - Euro 2024 in Germany * Ticket discussion only *

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Germany' started by Wankdorf 1954, May 10, 2022.

1. Anoo

Anoo Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Mar 30, 2022
    Maybe could be a better idea to buy it closer to the match? I'm starting to notice a drop in the prices.

TyBoogie80 and LaParka710 repped this.
  2. Straight_drive2

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If UEFA isn't even opening the resale portal to avoid compromising their overpriced leftover seats, why would they spend more money on ID checks at the stadia?

Outside of Wimbledon, most organizers don't care about who uses their allocated tickets (Although FA has made some noises this time, let's wait & watch if there is any action).

Like I said earlier, the only way to make people financially responsible for their applications is to authenticate their credit cards during the application process and only accept applications with an authenticated credit card. No KYC, No face ID, just a working credit card. Simple as.

Even if one wins multiple applications, the credit card will give way once the limits are reached.
    => This is also less work for UEFA as they do not need to go through special invitations etc. If CC fails, then the applicant automatically loses their lottery allocation and an unsuccessful applicant can immediately take that spot.

LaParka710 and ryan_202 repped this.
  3. Kalifornia

Kalifornia Member

Liverpool FC
    France
    May 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    What do you mean by “the credit card will give way once the limits are reached” ?
    If the customer can pay, UEFA couldn’t care less where the tickets are going to. Their objective is to sell all the tickets.

4. AlexCr

AlexCr Member

Chelsea
    Romania
    Nov 13, 2023
    thats true. for uefa is all about selling tickets and thats all, us not getting tickets we want it's not a problem for them. the time when they really cared about the fans has long passed and it's just about numbers these days

5. Anoo

Anoo Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Mar 30, 2022
    #7130 Anoo, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    Correct! Their primary concern is their finances and ensuring that the stadiums are packed to please their sponsors - maximizing visibility and engagement for their brands. That is why during the euro 2020 semis, they got panicked and cut prices for Italy vs Spain when ticket sales were low.

6. belfasteric

belfasteric Member+

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    That used to be the way , when you put in an application you had to enter your credit card details and if successful the money was taken..The problem was a lot of people lost out because the credit card companies were blocking the sale as suspicious activity.If Uefa or FIFA didn't get the money you weren't contacted just discarded

Straight_drive2 and LaParka710 repped this.
  7. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    When the CC payment was automatic after the ballot process when succesful, people still either have payment limits on their card, or anti-fraud security measures would kick in (especially since not everyone applying is from Switzerland/Germany/UK or wherever the payment originates from). Also some people would win a ballot application but then their bank would reject it then in many instances there was not a second chance to be charged again. So they meant that if you were to win multiple applications or tickets, eventually say for example the amount was over 5,000 euro but that was your card limit, then it would no longer accept it anyway.

It was a much better system though, but apparently, some laws prohibit it so we haven't had it in World Cup/Euro ticketing since after 2018. You'd find out ballot success by a charge to your bank card (with an email coming later, in the meantime you would work out any combinations of what you had won - see previous tournament threads), and it meant it was a little harder for people to basically make as many applications as they can be bothered making as it is with the current ballot system as there was a full commitment to pay as soon as there was any successful application.

8. Nakul Sood

Nakul Sood Member

Real Madrid
    India
    Jul 10, 2022
    Germany
    An even better way would be to actually take the amount of money as if were a normal payment, and just return the money if the lottery application was unsuccessful.
    This is what Airbnb does. They “book” the money, and if the property owner doesn’t accept you, they just return the money to the original payment mode.

This will ensure that only few but real applications are made + UEFA could use the temporary cashflow to get earn some interest on that money as well. Win-win for everyone.

Just the lottery application + results window will have to be a lot smaller, but I don’t think that will matter too much as it all is computerised.

9. belfasteric

belfasteric Member+

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    Think it was to do with GDPR

Attached Files:

10. Testopener22

Testopener22 Member

Arsenal
    Jun 19, 2022
    Australia
    Airbnb simply place a hold on the credit card for the situation you’re describing, much like hotels do for incidentals/minibar when you checkin. It is not the same as taking payment. Not sure of the legalities of a merchant being able to hold funds for longer than a certain period.

The 2019 CWC in the UK required submission of CC details during the ballot process, but I haven’t heard of a major international tournament doing this since.

Fans will always have differing views on what is ‘fair’ based on their own previous success. Some will prefer ballot only, some will prefer FCFS only, etc.

It seems that the opportunity for personal offers encourages fans to create multiple accounts for two bites of the cherry. Not sure how many were successful with that approach, and it’s possible UEFAs algorithms are able to identify related entries based on IP address/device/geolocation etc and discard them anyway.

LaParka710 and Nakul Sood repped this.
  11. Danielx0

Danielx0 New Member

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2024
    Looking to buy two tickets for the finals in Berlin. Please dm.

12. Guerino

Guerino Member

Inter
    Italy
    May 24, 2021
    Exactly: GDPR stopped this procedure

13. belfasteric

belfasteric Member+

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    Your 100,001in the queue, welcome to the queue, is your preference cat3

tronxz28, Joeyy, LaParka710 and 5 others repped this.
  14. Anoo

Anoo Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Mar 30, 2022
    Better odds in seeing a pig fly

LaParka710 and belfasteric repped this.
  15. Danielx0

Danielx0 New Member

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2024
    We were promised flying cars but all we got were statistically impossible odds ;)

16. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017

Doesn't this sum the situation up.
    I get it with the World Cup but there is no way that more of the fans in Germany will be from the US. They have their own World Cup in 2 years.
    These 'applications' will be bot and touts, all enabled by UEFA giving fans a free hit.

17. Anoo

Anoo Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Mar 30, 2022
    #7142 Anoo, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    You'll be surprised on how many football fans live in the US. Plus it says from Viagogo.

LaParka710 and TyBoogie80 repped this.
  18. tedmak

tedmak Member

Manchester City
    Argentina
    Nov 11, 2017
    I am not surprised at all. I have seen the fans travel to multiple World Cups. The Euros is different. It is touts, and enabled by UEFA.

19. OmanGrecian

OmanGrecian Member

Exeter City
    England
    Oct 8, 2022
    It's all pretty boring this UEFA ticket app. I liked the FIFA portal a few years ago, when there was a bit of excitement and tickets dropped sporadically. I would eagerly follow this site for people who seemed to be in the know of when things would drop.

Harry Kane's on my mind and Anoo repped this.
  20. Anoo

Anoo Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Mar 30, 2022
    I remember I was on it even when I was taking a shit. With a blink of an eye, the tickets were gone! Needed to refresh constantly..hahaha

TyBoogie80 and OmanGrecian repped this.
  21. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I agree that a lot of these are bots and touts, but as an someone living in the US, I would much rather go to the Euros than the World Cup even a home one. This new WC format is going to have a lot of stinky matchups until probably the quarters. Traveling for multiple matches here is going to much more difficult as everything is so spread out (think Euro 2020). It is going to be so hot in comparison to Germany during the WC. Most of the stadiums are American football stadiums not designed for a WC match.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's a lot of people like me here that think these Euros will be a lot better experience than the WC (and Copa America as well).

Untitled, Teezee, TyBoogie80 and 6 others repped this.
  22. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    it is touts for at least 90% of those orders if not more

clueless and desperate people are paying well over 500€ for fans first tickets for a group game, that's tout's dream. apart from that current uefa ticket policy is ideal for resellers. unlimited ticket forwarding with basically no limitations ... as if they asked them what to do!

all plain awful !!!!!

23. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Yup, the next few World Cups are going to be hugely expensive, I guess Fifa have thrown out any phoney concerns about the environment along with toadying up to Middle Eastern despots. I wonder if Germans feel the same about the next Euros in the UK as I do about Germany having the best infrastructure and football culture for a tournament? I'm way more excited by Munich, Stuttgart, Cologne and Berlin than I will be by Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham and London. Anyway I've massively blown my lifetime tournament budget for this one, it'll be local beer gardens from now on, unless I get overexcited again...

Straight_drive2 and LaParka710 repped this.
  24. Anoo

Anoo Member

Liverpool FC
    Brazil
    Mar 30, 2022
    Lod31. repped this.
  25. Lod31.

Lod31. Member

Nov 20, 2019
    As long as there is plenty of supply for games, I am happy to wait. For example, Switzerland vs. Hungary still has 650 tickets for sale on one site. It sold maybe 60 tickets today, mostly when the seller dropped the price considerably. 130e in total per ticket was the cheapest I saw today, was able to cart ones that cost 180e per ticket in total, but decided to wait still. In my opinion at some stage the prices must come down even more so that the supply will meet the demand. Of course I may be wrong and the 180e tickets were my golden opportunity, but on that case I am quite happy to watch the match in the fan fest.

LaParka710, welshbairn and Anoo repped this.