UEFA Euro 2024: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Really? Wow that’s a big call, can’t see it myself but who knows. In two years time I’m struggling to see who will dispose him especially with his defensive instincts in front of that defence. At present I’m struggling to see a midfield without him to be honest.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rice will be an England regular for the next decade

Gazza66 repped this.
  3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rice's ability on the ball is vastly underrated. He may not be as elegant as someone like rodri but he's got good ball skills and his passing range is far better than people give him credit for. I wouldn't swap him for any 'defensive " midfielder in the world. Hes not really a defensive midfielder anyway. He's an all action midfielder. He'd get into 95 percent of the teams across the world

4. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    If Wharton and Mainoo kick on I can see people asking the question but I doubt he'd get dropped. Also it would depend on whos the manager.

5. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Maybe not a decade but good 6 or 7 years, By the way if a player came along that was good enough to get Rice dropped. They would have to be some player.

roverman repped this.
  6. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Rice is somewhat limited on the ball but given he's very secure in possession and doesn't make many errors it's not a major issue as long as you play him with the right players. Factor in everything else he brings to the table and he's not a player we'll replace easily. There aren't many players in the world like him and we're pretty lucky to have him imo.

roverman repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

roverman repped this.
  8. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m watching him with special interest over the summer then, I just don’t think he manipulates the ball or play as much as I’d like - I’m not saying he’s in anyway a bad player, perhaps I’ve not seen him in an Arsenal shirt enough. I thought Arteta moved him into a running role and liked others to hold.

9. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Your last sentence is why I think Rice will continue to be an important player for England and become one of our most capped outfield players ever, if he stays free from injuries.

Arteta has successfully deployed Rice as an 8 in order to fit both him and Partey in the team. Rice has adapted to role brilliantly which has made him a more versatile player. Even if Wharton becomes better than him at the base of midfield then Rice could be used as an 8 instead. We'll be doing very well if we have three youngsters that come through in the near furture that can play the 6 and 8 positions as well as Rice.

Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The FA are working on the assumption Rice is the next captain after Kane.

11. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #1611 MrSnrub, May 30, 2024
    Last edited: May 30, 2024
    It would be difficult to imagine Rice being out the side by the world cup unless he suffers with injuries. Two years isn't so long, would be difficult to imagine at least two players surpassing him in two seasons. Particularly because we don't really have anyone imminently coming through who comes close to replicating what he does in the team.

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

Manchester United are targeting Everton's 21-year-old English defender Jarrad Branthwaite, who is valued at between £60-70m. (Sky Sports)

Aston Villa are interested in Chelsea's 24-year-old England midfielder Conor Gallagher. (Independent)

New Liverpool manager Arne Slot is keen to make a bid for Aston Villa and England forward Ollie Watkins, 28, as a replacement for Uruguay striker Darwin Nunez, 24. (Sun)

RB Leipzig, RB Salzburg and Roma are interested in Manchester City's 28-year-old England midfielder Kalvin Phillips. (Sun).

Bayern Munich are interested in a move for Crystal Palace's Adam Wharton, as the new club hierarchy sees him as the midfield profile they have been missing. (Independent’

Kalvin Phillips is considering leaving the Premier League entirely as he aims to resurrect his career. (Sun)

Jude Bellingham has been labelled the world's most valuable player - and worth a staggering £238m, according to the Swiss-based CIES Football Observatory. (Sun)

Manchester United are reportedly ready to sell Aaron Wan-Bissaka. (Sun)

The Saudi Pro League chief football executive says Jordan Henderson's sudden exit did not harm their project but was instead more damaging to the England international "on a personal level". (Daily Telegraph)

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rice is t a single pivot

arteta has found his best role, box to box. Gianis g is improving as well imo and he is good at keeping the ball and pressing and winning it all over

his set piece delivery is good too

not sure why port vale man dislikes him so much but he’s lock in to start imo

roverman and Port Vale Fan repped this.
  14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Who is Gianis G?

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My phone keyboard is not working

his passing not Gianis g lol

he looks forward more than when he first came, a lot of sideways passing initially

I think he can be more of a goal threat next season too if arsenal buy a holding player

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't dislike him in the slightest I want him to be an amazing player and dictate the next 3 or 4 tournaments - but I'm not convinced he can or will do that.

17. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023

Didn't she sing '(Ooh aah) Just a little bit'?

thebigman, Gazza66 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, Eurovision from the 90’s I think ( without googling) for the Uk.

19. Gazza66

Gazza66 Member

England
    Jan 6, 2020
    Hahahaha, made me proper LOL

Inter Row Z repped this.
  20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

21. Andy Deris

Andy Deris Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Nov 13, 2023
    Everybody recognise?)

Attached Files:

22. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Seeing England crash out the under 17s with every penalty scored by Italy, it bought me to wonder how bad is the senior teams record at saving penalties in tournaments. It's bad. The goalkeepers have actually only saved 5/46 penalties we've faced in tournaments. The opposition has actually outright missed more than we've seen saved (6/46).

Pickford is actually on a very reasonable 3/9 record for penalties on target saved, but David Seaman is the only other keeper we've had to ever save a penalty in a tournament shoot out!

England's flaws at penalties are well known but you'd have to say the keeping has let us down a large proportion of the time, our record at saving is bafflingly poor historically. Honorable exception to Pickford who should be a national hero for the last Euro..

W.A.S.P., Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Remember Peter Shilton at 1990. He went the right way every time but he dived like a cat

24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
  25. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    And yet somehow that was not as egregious as managing to get lobbed while virtually standing on his line earlier in the match.

roverman repped this.