UEFA Euro 2024: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Apr 24, 2024.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rashford when motivated is a good player

just can’t see Arsenal paying what Utd would want to sell to a ‘rival’

roverman repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    A week today is our first friendly. I'd like to see the youngsters given a chance. Not dunk or Gallagher. Knowing Southgate though he'll leave the young uns on the bench without giving them minutes

3. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023

Three of England's first Xl... all born on 28th May... and all playing for the same club. What are the chances?

roverman repped this.
  4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Walker is 34, surely his last International tournament I would imagine.

Fireburn47 and roverman repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    As long as he has the pace I think he'll keep going

6. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    These last 4 years have arguably been his best, so it'll be interesting to see if he calls time on his England career after this tournament. If we could count on Reece James or Ben White it wouldn't be such an issue, but right this minute you'd have to say he's our most dependable defender.

roverman repped this.
  7. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't see Walker going on 2 more years as a starter, you can already see he's declined a bit this season. It's remarkable he's kept so much of his pace to this age, but a further 2 years on is going to be a huge ask.

Actually the defence is probably going to be due a big overhaul by the next tournament. With Stones injury record I wouldn't particularly expect him to be around in 2 year either, while Maguire is lucky to be in the starting 11 even now. Shaw should be around in 2 years but again his injury issues are a concern.

We could realistically be looking at replacing the entire back 4 by the next tournament, whoever is in charge post tournament is going to have to prioritise getting that sorted. We have options for the most part so it's not a huge concern from a personnel level, but it is certainly something we want to have well developed as a unit which will necessitate getting it right early on.

horrisengleton and roverman repped this.
  8. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully Reece James can keep fit as I really rate him. I'm quite happy with our upcoming options at CB but left back there isn't really anyone coming through yet that matches up to Shaw but that could change quickly. I think we are pretty well placed going forwards though

9. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I think Hall has a good chance of emerging as a top left back over the next couple of seasons, seems a good chance he will be starting regularly at left back for Newcastle now he's got in there and done well so its a case of him kicking on. Technically he has everything you need, and his defending was reportedly good at the end of the season which was always the main thing he needed to develop being a midfield transplant.

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You could use Walker as a cb potentially with a more aggressive partner

he is still very quick

roverman repped this.
  11. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I think regardless of what happens this summer we need to regenerate our defence straight after this tournament. It's a very ageing back four and half of them are made of glass, it would be very short sighted to try and squeeze more out of them when when we've got good players coming through. A full nations league and WC qualifying campaign is a great opportunity to mould a new defence together.

White (hopefully), Reece James, Trent, Guehi, Chalobah, Branthwaite, Colwill, Hall etc is a great selection of talent. Time for them to take over imo.

roverman repped this.
  12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Livramento

13. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    There's a few names I've missed out tbf. There's plenty enough there for us not to need to draw out the international careers of players well into their 30s.

Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think this will be the last tournament for Walker, Trippier, Stones and Maguire.

15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Former England midfielder Adam Lallana, 36, is in talks over a return to Southampton on a free transfer when his Brighton contract expires next month. (Telegraph - subscription required), external

Everton will demand £80m for Jarrad Branthwaite, 21, but Manchester United are hoping to strike a £60m deal for the England defender. Sir Jim Ratcliffe has told Everton that Man Utd will not be held to ransom over Jarrad Branthwaite. (Star)

Newcastle are considering a £20m bid for Burnley's 21-year-old England Under-21 goalkeeper James Trafford.
    Newcastle are ready to switch their attention to £20m-rated Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford with a deal for Arsenal's Aaron Ramsdale proving hard to tie down because of his hefty price tag.
    (Mail), external

Liverpool also want Trafford, with their Republic of Ireland keeper Caoimhin Kelleher, 25, looking to leave the club. (Football Insider)

Marcus Rashford is planning to take some time to reset mentally after acknowledging he has endured a "challenging season". (The Guardian)

Marcus Rashford has taken the decision to remove himself from social media in the wake of a season that he has labelled "challenging".(Daily Mail)

'Sticker Wars' have broken out ahead of Euro 2024 with a battle between Panini and Topps, with Panini blocking their US rival from printing stickers including England stars Phil Foden and Bukayo Saka, replacing them instead with non-squad players like Rico Lewis and Luke Thomas to leave parents and collectors up in arms. (Daily Mail)

Luke Shaw has delivered a lengthy injury update with his hopes of making England's final Euro 2024 squad in the balance - and hit out at his critics this season. (Daily Mail)

16. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Walker and Trippier I don't think need to be around the squad after this one. I wouldn't mind Stones and/or Maguire sticking around but they shouldn't be starters anymore imo. As good as Stones is he's unreliable fitness-wise and I don't want us to be as reliant on him as we are now in 2026. We should start moulding a new CB partnership in September.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s risky because those Nations league matches are must win to reduce the risk of very tough Euro 2028 qualifying group. Not being promoted back to league A will be very costly

Inter Row Z and roverman repped this.
  18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Stones has only just turned 30.

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    But his fitness is not reliable and there has been speculation he might call it a day after the Euros.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    When you say speculation, does that equate to you having a feeling or is there some credible source for this information?

21. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Probably a throwaway line in an opinion price by a 3rd rate 'journalist'

roverman repped this.
  22. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I have no idea if Stones is going to retire from international duty but I certainly think there's an argument to suggest it would be a wise decision. Especially if he wants to be playing regularly at club level.

23. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bowen has to go for me. Versatile and coming off a great season. Maddison misses out.

roverman and horrisengleton repped this.
  24. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I could see Stones and Maguire still around for 2026. 33/32 isn't ancient for a CB pairing.

roverman repped this.