UEFA Euro 2024: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #1051 Fireburn47, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
    Sounds like no chance for Hall or Wharton but Gomez and/or Colwill might be included.

Chilwell only missed the final Chelsea match due to illness rather than injury issues.

But it sounds like he will use all three extra spaces just to take extra defensive cover.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    All these articles and it is all just assumptions and guesswork. Nothing meaningful seems to have leaked.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  3. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    He normally doesn’t infirm those being called up till that morning (And by text or email). But those being left out entirely (Dunk and Branthwaite prehaps) will have been told today going by his usual pattern.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  5. MatD434

MatD434 Member

Arsenal
    England
    Dec 11, 2023
    Don't know why people are talking like Hall is some generational left back. 19 year old kid who's done OK in and out of the squad for Newcastle this season. Is it just because he scored against United?

Trippier at left back isnt ideal, but he did well against Scotland and Italy in the qualifier

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/20/gareth-southgate-name-30-man-england-squad-one-big-snub-20877019/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sport/fo...van-toney-marcus-rashford-euro-2024-v9pz9w8rt
    England squad news: defensive crisis bad news for Toney and Rashford
    Likes of Marcus Rashford, Jack Grealish, James Maddison and Ivan Toney could miss out as England manager stockpiles defenders in provisional Euro 2024 squad, given lengthy injury list

Show Spoiler

The dilemma for Gareth Southgate is a familiar one — which full backs should he pick in his England squad?

However, rather than selecting from a position of strength and juggling an embarrassment of riches as he selects a provisional squad for Euro 2024 on Tuesday, the England manager finds himself checking a lengthy casualty list and will be hoping that a positive medical bulletin pops up from somewhere.

Luke Shaw has no minutes for Manchester United since mid-February; Chelsea’s Ben Chilwell has 12 minutes since the previous England camp in March; his club-mate Reece James has 30 minutes in the whole of 2024; Kieran Trippier, whose ability to play at right back or left back has often been a boon to his country, has played only 73 minutes since the first week of March for Newcastle United.

Rico Lewis has managed 290 minutes for newly crowned champions Manchester City since March 31, but the 19-year-old has rarely played when it has truly mattered.

Consider, too, in central defence, that Harry Maguire has missed the final weeks of Manchester United’s Premier League season, Levi Colwill has not played for Chelsea since March 2, Marc Guéhi has only featured for only 98 minutes since February 3 for Crystal Palace and John Stones has, peculiarly, found himself warming the substitutes’ bench in recent weeks under Pep Guardiola.

Brighton & Hove Albion’s Lewis Dunk has an injury and even the uncapped Tino Livramento has ended the season on the sidelines with Newcastle United. Arsenal’s Ben White is otherwise engaged, having decided he does not want to play for England under this regime.

The lack of certainty, together with a desire to give key players every chance to be fit, suggests that when Southgate unveils his provisional party of about 30 names, it will be packed with defenders.

Uefa’s decision to increase the final squad size from 23 players to 26 — Southgate must submit his list on June 8, the day after the final warm-up game against Iceland at Wembley — could benefit England more than most, and allows for a few gambles. Yet if defenders are stockpiled, then players such as Marcus Rashford, Jack Grealish, James Maddison and Ivan Toney will be sweating on making the eventual cut.

To an extent, the England manager has been here before. Maguire was recovering from an ankle ligament injury going into Euro 2020 and returned in the final group game, while Kyle Walker did likewise at the World Cup in Qatar, with his build-up to the tournament complicated by groin surgery.

Yet such a long injury list on the eve of the finals is largely unprecedented for Southgate and represents a significant headache for a coach who has prioritised solidity in each of his previous tilts at ending the country’s long wait for a major trophy.

Barring the games against Belgium at the World Cup in Russia, the first a dead-rubber match and the second the dreaded third-place play-off, Southgate has started only eight different defenders in his three tournaments — Walker, Stones, Maguire, Trippier, Shaw, Ashley Young, Tyrone Mings (another who is injured at present) and James. The goalkeeper, Jordan Pickford, has been an ever-present.

There is unlikely to be too much variation once again, for if Southgate were scribbling down a defensive line today for the opening game against Serbia in Gelsenkirchen on June 16, it might well be: Walker, Stones, Maguire or Guéhi (who played in midfield for Crystal Palace’s 5-0 win over Aston Villa) and Trippier.

Southgate’s faith in Trippier, who is reluctantly heading to Australia for Newcastle’s end-of-season friendlies with Tottenham Hotspur in Melbourne on Wednesday and an All-Star XI two days later, is well documented.

The 33-year-old has made three appearances over the past week for his club and must now concentrate on building up his fitness, aware that the doubts over Shaw, 28, and Chilwell, 27, make him as important as ever to England. The lack of natural left backs is clearly a problem, but Southgate has few options. Palace’s Tyrick Mitchell was capped two years ago, but has been overlooked ever since.

It may actually help Anthony Gordon’s ambitions with the Newcastle winger’s work rate off the ball and willingness to track back something that may endear him further following on from the favourable impression he made in March.

Southgate is also yet to answer the conundrum of who should play alongside Declan Rice at the heart of the midfield. For the warm-up matches with Bosnia-Herzegovina at St James’ Park on June 3 and then Iceland, Southgate could revert to the plan to road-test Trent Alexander-Arnold in the middle after injury scuppered the experiment back in March.

Kalvin Phillips, omitted from the previous squad after a disastrous loan move to West Ham United, has surely dropped out of the reckoning, which leaves Kobbie Mainoo, Jordan Henderson and Conor Gallagher in contention. Palace’s Adam Wharton has also had rave reviews and will be hoping to make the provisional party.

Alternatively, there is the potential to deploy Jude Bellingham deeper rather than in the No 10 role in which he has been utilised of late, although that may detract from his qualities in getting around the pitch and offering a threat in the final third.

So much of the outward fascination surrounding England in recent months has been whether Southgate will be bold enough to find room in his starting line-up for Bellingham, Phil Foden, Bukayo Saka and Harry Kane, yet many seemingly forget that they all started the World Cup quarter-final defeat by France.

Southgate will be inclined to focus on the other end of the pitch and whether he can muster a platform that finally gives England a springboard to success.

7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Please god this won't be true

THE TIMES
    Marcus Rashford, Jack Grealish, James Maddison and Ivan Toney could miss out on England spot as Gareth Southgate stockpiles defenders in the provisional Euro 2024 squad.

9. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll wait to see the squad later today.

I'm resigned to Henderson being in the squad despite there being no merit for it now. I just hope he isn't a starter. Sadly I think that'll mean Wharton misses out as it's between him and Mainoo IMO. Gallagher will definitely go as will TAA and Rice.

I'd just hope that Wharton can make the training squad to see what he can do. I'll be upset if Grealish doesn't make it as I think he is a different type of player we need. I'd also take Toney if it's even just for his penalties.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think in the main it just doesn’t work with Trippier at left back, the balance of the side isn’t good especially with zero attacking threat going forward and everytime he has to cut back to his right foot, extremely easy to defend against. Hall might be raw but has looked good, will give us natural balance with fast fluid movement on that left hand side otherwise our buildup will be too slow and predictable with Tripps sadly imo.

Inter Row Z and roverman repped this.
  11. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chilwell has been injured for a long time, it isn't as if Southgate hasn't had a chance to try something else out there in case Shaw got injured. We don't have a dearth of decent back ups there but someone should've been given a go. It's far from ideal having Trippier at LB as you and others have mentioned for these reasons, so have to hope Shaw recovers and can play some part in the group games

Marcho Gamgee, Inter Row Z and roverman repped this.
  12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm dreading southgate's selection. He learned his lesson at the last World Cup by being more proactive in his lineup. I just pray he doesn't go back to being defensive minded

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Yeah, this is my worry with having Trippier and Foden on the left. Their natural instinct is to keep cutting inside, so we lose our width, the play gets condensed in the middle and we become a whole lot easier to defend against.

roverman repped this.
  14. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #1064 MrSnrub, May 21, 2024
    Last edited: May 21, 2024
    The problem with Trippier is his defensive game has declined massively this season, if you're picking him for left back its has to be with the acknowledgment he's not really going to bring anything going forward there, so what you're really left with is his defensive side, which even on his preferred side has been massively lacking. The other issue is a Maguire - Trippier left hand side has a horrendous lack of athleticism.

If you were going the right footed left back direction, then Joe Gomez surely makes by far the most sense, given he's actually played that position semi-regularly this season and brings a lot more to the table defensively. Also would help out Maguire with his pace.

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We've always had a dearth of great leftbacks at one time. We had the best left-back In the world in cole then his understudy was Wayne Bridge.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, I always have this feeling that he’s going to screw up the squad selections. Not sure why……..

roverman repped this.
  17. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    It depends what you want from your number three l suppose. Ashley Cole was definitely England's best one-on-one defensive left back, but he used to frustrate the life out of me going forwards. For all the talk about how little Trippier might offer us in the final third, Cole registered just 7 assists and 0 goals in 107 appearances. Luke Shaw, by contrast, already has 3 goals and 9 assists in England colours, and he's only (surprisingly) played 31 times!

Khadrim, hussar and roverman repped this.
  18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think that’s why he will probably drop Foden to the bench.

19. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I think its getting a little ahead to think that Trippier will actually be starting, Chilwell isn't even injured right now so i'd be surprised if he doesn't at least start the tournament presuming he doesn't get injured again.

Hopefully there will be some clarity on what exactly is wrong with Shaw today and how long he's actually expected to be out for also.

roverman repped this.
  20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    According to the Guardian Trippier is ahead of Chilwell in Southgate’s eyes anyway if he is fit.

21. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't really see how The Guardian would know that, the press have never really been good at predicting Southgate's teams (unless its a day before). They are guessing as much as anyone here.

roverman repped this.
  22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It looks like they all had the same briefing that Trippier is in line to start the Euros at left back and Trent to start at midfield. The articles all feel like rewrites of the same briefing.

23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    No one is going to send out a briefing saying that though, and certainly not a month before the tournament starts. I mean what would even be the purpose?

roverman repped this.
  24. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Southgate isn't briefing the press a day before he selects his training squad, ffs.

roverman repped this.
  25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Well someone did - no way do all the papers have the same information in their articles if it doesn’t come from the same source.