UEFA Euro 2024: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I think the front 3 and Midfield are solid but the Back 4 is a bit young.

roverman repped this.
  2. MatD434

MatD434 Member

Arsenal
    England
    Dec 11, 2023
    Need to hear more about this Kane back injury. I'm sweating, even if seemingly no one else is.

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    It's tuchel making excuses still for taking him off in the semi final

4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #979 Fireburn47, May 19, 2024
    Last edited: May 19, 2024
    Dunk seemingly fit enough to be considered for a call up going by his Brighton’s post season ceremony asked about the Euros.

Not sure Chilwell is through - according to Chelsea fans he wasn’t even at Stamford Bridge today and there is no sign of him in Thiago’s Silva goodbye even through all the other injured and suspended players were they.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I wouldn't be that surprised if Hall makes the provisional squad, given the doubts about Shaw/Chilwell. Who are the alternatives? Trippier, Gomez, Colwill, Mitchell - not sure there are many others. He's already called Mitchell up and doesn't seem to have been that impressed, Gomez and Colwill have been out of their club sides, Trippier will probably go but his form is patchy... I don't really see an argument against having a look at Hall to see if he can adjust quickly enough, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the reasons Southgate was at Brentford v Newcastle.

Worth remembering that Southgate usually takes one or two uncapped players to a tournament - he's done it before with Alexander-Arnold, Pope, White, Ramsdale, and Johnstone.

roverman repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

England’s 26-man Euro 2024 squad: Our writers make their selections

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/55...2024-squad-our-writers-make-their-selections/

Show Spoiler

The Premier League season is over and tomorrow (Tuesday, May 21) England manager Gareth Southgate will announce his preliminary squad for the 2024 European Championship.

UEFA’s decision to allow competing nations to bring 26 players to Germany — up from an initial 23 — should certainly help some of England’s fringe players, but which ones?

We asked five of The Athletic’s writers to have a think about who they’d like to see on the plane next month when England travel to their base in Blankenhain.

Jack Pitt-Brooke: ‘Eric Dier could be a valuable part of the group again’
    Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale, James Trafford
    Defenders: Kyle Walker, John Stones, Harry Maguire, Marc Guehi, Kieran Trippier, Joe Gomez, Eric Dier, Rico Lewis
    Midfielders: Declan Rice, Jordan Henderson, Conor Gallagher, Kobbie Mainoo, Trent Alexander-Arnold
    Attacking midfielders: Jude Bellingham, James Maddison, Phil Foden, Bukayo Saka, Jarrod Bowen, Cole Palmer, Jack Grealish
    Strikers: Harry Kane, Ollie Watkins, Ivan Toney

Some of these choices are obvious. There is no point wasting words justifying the inclusion of John Stones or Declan Rice. Expanding the squad from 23 to 26 players is not necessarily helpful for Southgate because he will need to find three more players who will not cause problems for the squad dynamic if they are not regularly involved.

With that partly in mind, Eric Dier should make the squad. He has had a fantastic second half of the season with Thomas Tuchel’s Bayern Munich, proving again that he can cut it at the highest level. Southgate has always appreciated his professionalism, versatility and commitment to the group, which is why the England manager has taken him to two World Cups. He could be a valuable part of the group again in Germany.

The obvious issue is at left-back. Ben Chilwell has not started a game since March 2, Luke Shaw since February 18. Kieran Trippier has filled in there before but has had a difficult season. Tyrick Mitchell is playing well for Crystal Palace, and Levi Colwill has played there for Chelsea, but I have narrowly preferred Rico Lewis there instead. Maybe I have one defender too many, given Trent Alexander-Arnold can play in midfield, but I have taken Joe Gomez, too, partially for his versatility, even if he has had a difficult time recently.

Jordan Henderson has also had a tough season but in a 26-man squad, his experience is vital, even if Conor Gallagher is likelier to start. Kobbie Mainoo is in and the hardest pick was between James Maddison and Eberechi Eze as the creative midfield option. I went for Maddison but, on club form, you would have to say Eze.

Southgate had spoken in March about choosing just one out of Ivan Toney and Ollie Watkins but the upside of taking 26 is that he can have both. The only real issue is out wide where not all of Marcus Rashford, Jack Grealish, Jarrod Bowen and Anthony Gordon can go. Rashford is not playing well enough and I nearly dropped Grealish, too, but changed my mind and took him along with Bowen. Gordon is as unlucky as Eze to miss out.

Michael Cox: ‘I want Jordan Henderson’s experience’
    Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale, Nick Pope
    Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, John Stones, Harry Maguire, Joe Gomez, Eric Dier, Ben Chilwell, Rico Lewis
    Midfielders: Declan Rice, Conor Gallagher, Jordan Henderson, Kobbie Mainoo
    Attacking midfielders: Jude Bellingham, Bukayo Saka, Cole Palmer, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, James Maddison, Raheem Sterling
    Strikers: Harry Kane, Ollie Watkins, Dominic Solanke

I’m not convinced most managers need 26 players — you end up with too many non-playing squad members around, and lose intensity — but for England, it might be worthwhile. The desire to shift between a back three and a back four means extra defensive options are welcome, the strength in depth means a couple of extra attackers might be worthwhile, and there have been few signs of a happy camp under Southgate.

Most of my vaguely controversial picks are in defence. There’s a need for a no-nonsense understudy for Harry Maguire, and Dier has performed well for a side who reached the Champions League semi-finals. He offers experience and versatility. I’ve never been particularly convinced by Joe Gomez but this season, he has filled in reasonably well at left-back — England’s problem position — and in certain situations, you might want a speedy defender there. Lewis is just a brilliant footballer and could prove useful in various roles. I’d go for Shaw ahead of Chilwell, but he may not recover from injury in time.

In midfield, I want Henderson’s experience and tactical nous, as well as Kobbie Mainoo’s technical ability on the ball.

Further forward, I don’t agree with Raheem Sterling’s international exile. He has almost always performed well for England, has scored more than 100 Premier League goals, offers speed and directness from the left, which England are lacking from elsewhere, and has put together a better season than Rashford or Grealish. Presumably, he’s fallen out with Southgate. Well, he hasn’t fallen out with me, so he’s in my squad.

I would omit Rashford, who I’m not sure is in the right frame of mind, and just about go for Grealish ahead of Gordon. However, I would call both of them up to the larger initial ‘training squad’, and if Gordon was obviously in better nick than Grealish, I would go for him. I’m slightly confused about what Grealish is offering at the moment.

Up front, Watkins surely must be Harry Kane’s understudy. The third choice is unlikely to play much, and is probably an emergency Plan B. I’m not sure Toney is the right character for that job, so I’d go for Bournemouth’s Dominic Solanke.

But overall, the identities of the 20th-26th players are less important than is often suggested. What counts is the balance of players on the pitch, and that’s where England have more problems.

Carl Anka: ‘Ivan Toney has probably played himself out of a squad role’
    Defenders: Harry Maguire, John Stones, Joe Gomez, Levi Colwill, Luke Shaw, Jarrad Branthwaite, Kieran Trippier,
    Midfielders: Declan Rice, Conor Gallagher, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Jude Bellingham, Kobbie Mainoo, Curtis Jones
    Attacking midfielders: Phil Foden, Bukayo Saka, Anthony Gordon, Marcus Rashford, Jarrod Bowen, Eberechi Eze, Cole Palmer

The expansion to 26 players means less of a headache when approaching England’s left-back problems. Shaw should take on that role eventually, but my plan with this squad is to play the group stage games with Gomez at left-back and forming a back three whenever England are in possession with Maguire and Kyle Walker. Stones will be asked to push up into midfield and form a box midfield with Rice, Gallagher and Jude Bellingham.

Gallagher’s role as the third midfielder next to Bellingham and Rice can be swapped according to taste. The Chelsea man offers combative energy from deep, and has the legs to push forward to serve as an auxiliary playmaker when we want to use a ‘box’ midfield (comprising two defensive central midfielders behind two more attacking ‘No 10s’). If/when Shaw returns and you want to play a more conventional back four, then call upon Mainoo in that slot for his press resistance, Alexander-Arnold for his long passing, or Curtis Jones for ball retention.

Cole Palmer is a more seamless fit into this squad than Maddison and I’m taking Eze over Grealish, while apologising to his Crystal Palace team-mate Adam Wharton and asking him to expect a call in two years.

I fear the left-forward position is trickier than most are forecasting. There is an obvious temptation to put Foden there, but England are better off with one pacy player who can run in behind defences rather than receive to feet. That used to be Rashford or Sterling, but they have looked more static than usual this season. Rashford has looked out of sorts at his Manchester United but one would hope he can conjure up his World Cup 2022 form while reconnecting with England. I’d take him as a counter-attacking contingency plan.

After the most recent batch of internationals, it seemed like Toney had nudged ahead of Watkins in the striker race but a few weeks later and the Brentford forward has probably played himself out of a squad role. In comes Solanke, who might offer a better facsimile of Kane’s centre-forward play than Watkins, who is more of a channel runner than a target man.

With no Henderson, Kalvin Phillips, Mason Mount, Grealish or Sterling, this squad has shed a degree of tournament experience, but England are entering a new era and we have to adjust accordingly. Mr Rice, you will inherit the armband soon enough.

Tim Spiers: ‘There is absolutely no need for the squads to be so large’
    Defenders: Kyle Walker, Kieran Trippier, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Marc Guehi, Harry Maguire, Eric Dier, Joe Gomez
    Midfielders: Declan Rice, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher, Adam Wharton, Kobbie Mainoo
    Attacking midfielders: Phil Foden, Bukayo Saka, Cole Palmer, Anthony Gordon, Jude Bellingham, James Maddison, Jarrod Bowen

There is a big difference between picking the players you think Southgate should pick and choosing a 26-man squad from a clean slate with myself as manager. For example, I wouldn’t pick Henderson as one of my midfielders, but given the road, Southgate has gone down and Henderson’s importance as a leader in his squad, Southgate should pick him. Make sense? No? Good.

As an aside, there is absolutely no need for the squads to be so large. After the quarter-final stage of the 2022 World Cup, more than 150 footballers (exactly 100 outfield players and a few dozen keepers) had not played a single minute in Qatar. For the sake of the sun loungers in Dubai, let fringe players have the summer off.

That does change the dynamic for Southgate and relieve him of a couple of difficult decisions, particularly in attack. A key factor when choosing the 26 is form. A few months ago, Toney and Maddison would have been nailed down in the squad, but have they both played their way out of contention? On the flip side, do Wharton and Dier, neither of whom any sane person would have picked six months ago, now demand inclusion?

Southgate has proved capable of making tough calls, like dropping old favourites Sterling and Mount — but he doesn’t have the waistcoat here so Adam, you’re on the plane, lad.

That said, Maddison just squeezes in. As in Qatar, he probably won’t play, but if Bellingham were injured or suspended I’d want him in that No 8/No 10 role behind the forward line. I also think he’s a classic ‘good lad to have around the place’. Gomez, Trippier and Alexander-Arnold are all versatile full-back options should Shaw be struggling with fitness. Further forward, the toughest decision was between Eze and Bowen. I went for the West Ham United forward based on versatility and form. If Michael Olise was an option (he still hasn’t played a senior international for France, just saying) he would be in there.

Some previously key players, including Rashford, Grealish and Sterling, just haven’t shown the form or fitness to suggest they are capable of hitting their previous heights for England in the next few weeks, so Gordon and Solanke go as in-form players who can make an impact from the bench.

Rob Tanner: ‘Watkins and Solanke have to be the back-ups to Kane’
    Defenders: Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, John Stones, Harry Maguire, Marc Guehi, Joe Gomez, Eric Dier, Rico Lewis
    Midfielders: Declan Rice, Jordan Henderson, Kobbie Mainoo, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Conor Gallagher
    Attacking midfielders: Jude Bellingham, James Maddison, Phil Foden, Bukayo Saka, Jack Grealish, Cole Palmer, Jarrod Bowen

Southgate has one of England’s best-ever pools of talent to call upon — and it’s a good job because injuries and a loss of form will be huge factors in his final decision over the make-up of his final 26.

If everything goes well over the coming weeks the starting line-up to face Serbia on June 16 seems nailed on — Pickford in goal, Trippier and Walker at full-back, the tried-and-tested central defensive pairing of Stones and Maguire, Rice holding the midfield, most likely with Henderson, and Bellingham pushed forward to support a front three of Kane, flanked by Foden and Saka.

The debate is really about who will provide the backup and match-altering options off the bench. After injury-ravaged seasons, full-backs Chilwell, Reece James and Shaw seem to be huge risks but Southgate doesn’t have many options. Elsewhere, Maddison and Grealish are out of form, but are proven performers if they can find their rhythm again.

Versatility will be key to answering some of the questions. Gomez’s ability to play anywhere across the back line should get him a spot, while Dier can cover at centre-back and in midfield. Alexander-Arnold has shown again this season he can play at right-back and in central midfield, with Southgate favouring him in the latter role.

Lewis, 19, is a sensational talent, as is Mainoo, also 19, at Manchester United, while Palmer has enjoyed a brilliant season for Chelsea. If Southgate is picking players on form alone, then Watkins and Solanke have to be the backups to Kane, who has left Germany to receive treatment for a back injury.

Watkins has been Kane’s understudy, but Solanke hasn’t played for England since his debut in 2017. He scored 19 Premier League goals and started all of Bournemouth’s league games this season, aside from the final-day defeat to Chelsea. If he does not get a call-up now, it is hard to imagine him ever figuring in Southgate’s plans. Likewise, Bowen has had a productive season for West Ham with 16 goals and six assists in the Premier League, which should edge him ahead of Rashford in the squad.

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  9. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Paul O'Keefe is very good for Tottenham related transfers, I imagine we are getting rid of Solomon and not signing Werner, so there is certainly a spot that CHO could fill.

hussar repped this.
  10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Manchester United want at least 75% of the £75m they paid Borussia Dortmund for England winger Jadon Sancho, 24, who would need to take a cut in his £275,000-a-week wages if the Bundesliga club complete a deal to re-sign him. (Sun)

Chelsea are no closer to agreeing a new deal with England midfielder and 24-year-old academy graduate Conor Gallagher, who is linked with Aston Villa and Tottenham, and could be sold by the Blues to appease the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules (PSR). (Express)

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5504550/2024/05/20/jarrad-branthwaite-everton-england/

Everton’s Jarrad Branthwaite has had a season to savour – will he make the England squad?

Show Spoiler

There are moments when you suddenly remember Jarrad Branthwaite is only 21. When the centre-back, who has been calmness personified for much of the season, shows he is still learning the game at the highest level.

Given his lofty standards, they tend to be fleeting, coming as a surprise to team-mates and supporters alike. But even these occasional, unexpected hints of fallibility show how far he has come.

Aberrations from Branthwaite tend to be rare, a rash tackle here or an errant pass there blotting an otherwise pristine copybook. That, in itself, is unusual for such a young player, but it makes them all the more notable when they do happen.

Take the first half of the final-day 2-1 defeat against Arsenal. Attempting to play the ball across his box, his pass was intercepted by Declan Rice, who then scuffed a promising opening straight at goalkeeper Jordan Pickford. Minutes later, Branthwaite rushed out to confront Gabriel Martinelli, who skipped past him and brought another save from Pickford.

With Arsenal still in with a shout of the title, he, and Everton, wobbled in the face of sustained pressure — but the story of the season, for player and team, has been of resilience in the face of adversity. This was no different.

Branthwaite’s second half was a familiar story — dominance, recovery pace and astute positioning. Arsenal knocked on the door, regularly finding space down the sides of a narrow Everton back line but time and again, he was there, perfectly placed to clear the crosses and cutbacks. His positioning was like that of a seasoned defender.

The former Carlisle United man ended Sunday’s game with four blocks and seven clearances, the most important of which came at the back post late on to deny Martinelli a tap-in. On another occasion, he was beaten by Kai Havertz to a loose ball, affording the German what looked like a free run on goal, but showed his recovery pace and strength to rush back and shepherd to Pickford. It should have helped Everton to a hard-fought point but then came another late twist with Havertz’s controversial 89th-minute winner.

Genuinely left-sided, comfortable with both feet and capable of defending spaces or the tight confines of the penalty area, Branthwaite earned his first senior England call-up in March and is being tipped as an outside bet for Gareth Southgate’s Euros squad.

That skill set has won him admirers at Goodison Park, St George’s Park and elsewhere, with Manchester United believed to be among the suitors circling for the summer. There has been speculation about impending £55million ($70m) bids in the summer, but Everton value him higher than that. The club’s financial situation remains volatile, with 777 Partners given until the end of the month to complete what has become a protracted takeover saga, but Branthwaite is their most precious commodity.

It is only 12 months since Branthwaite was out on loan at PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands and was unsure what the future would hold when he returned to his parent club. He won the European Under-21 Championship with England last summer but was behind Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Levi Colwill in the pecking order. When the call came in March for the senior squad, he looked primed to make his international debut but did not feature.

Yet this season has still seen something of a breakthrough at Premier League level. Branthwaite finished in the Premier League’s top 10 for clearances, dribblers tackled and interceptions. With him, Everton averaged 1.3 points per game and 1.3 goals against; without him, it was one point per game and 1.7 goals against. His partnership with James Tarkowski has flourished, and only Liverpool, Arsenal and champions Manchester City have a better defensive record than Everton.

With injuries biting — Harry Maguire’s fitness is one concern — England could do worse than taking Branthwaite to Germany when their provisional squad is named on Tuesday. Some players may have more credit in the bank with Southgate — and he is a manager who likes to stick with his favourites — but few can match Branthwaite’s output this season and even fewer have his potential. His ability to play on the left is also in his favour.

Whether it is this summer or not, a step up of this kind only feels like a matter of time.

“He’s top class. You see him every week, he’s unbelievable,” said Everton captain Seamus Coleman. “The maturity has grown and it just shows how good it is to get out and play some football and grow your own wings.

“He came back (from PSV) a much more confident player and person, and he’s great to have around the place. Let’s not underestimate the influence of Tarkowski alongside him — they’ve worked extremely well together.

“He’s in the England picture and is modest, humble and hardworking. The future is bright for Jarrad if he keeps his feet on the ground, which he does. There have been games this season where I’ve been watching and thinking he’s incredible athletically and on the ball.

“I want to be fair and not speak too much about him, but you can’t hide talent like that for long.”

12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Can we not have some squad rumours? I'm getting bored with this journalists/pundit squad predictions. The last euros there were rumours days before the provisional

ColinA_1717 repped this.
  13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Sky Sports including Gallagher, Palmer and Watkins as certain picks. I am not sure those three are certain particularly Gallagher and Watkins

Also seems like the provisional squad will be about 32 players.

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Rumours only start coming once Southgate has told players. Before Qatar he told the not involved players on the days before and the involved ones on the morning of it. But with a provisional squad there is not as many players who will get the full you not involved phone call - probably only those who were in the March squad but not this one or anyone who missed the March one through injury and is not in this one either.

roverman repped this.
  15. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't see any realistic way Gallagher and Watkins wouldn't be called up. Gallagher's been in every England squad world cup onwards.

16. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    #991 Regis Prograis, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
    I think people should be free to post them, but they aren't even rumours, they are predictions (with likely no intel or insight) which hold as much validity as a bloke from the dog and duck.

roverman repped this.

17. I think they're all nailed-on.

The midfield cupboard is just so bare, Gallagher just gets in through lack of seasoned alternatives

He's 1/12 on now.

Palmer and Watkins are generally 1/16 too.

Just looking at the left-back options.

Trippier is obviously guaranteed, and may well end up starting there?
    Shaw and Chilwell still about 1/2 - but both looking increasingly long shots
    Gomez is very short at about 1/3 to go as a versatile option.
    Colwill about 6/4

But, as for left-footed genuine full-backs, no real move for Mitchell (4), Hall (25) or anyone else.

Livramento about 8s

18. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Livramento is Injuried and midfield isn't that bare.

roverman repped this.
  19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm not criticising posters I'm talking about tv experts

Regis Prograis repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do t trust anyone’s view on football if Henderson is in the squad

he’s washed and playing low quality ball

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  21. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    It's guaranteed we'll see at least one somewhat disappointing/frustrating selection tomorrow, likely more. For me, as long as we see Wharton & Solanke there in addition to no Lewis Dunk I'd be satisfied. Would obviously like Hendo dropped alongside one or two other older players but we can't have it all.

With our injury issues (and the injury issues across European football in general this season) I think 2nd and 3rd choice players in certain positions are more important than usual this time around.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #998 Fireburn47, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
    One of the Sky reporters thinks Dunk is next in line to start if Maguire or Stones is injured. Surely not - Hoeofully the majority of reporters thinking he wint be in the squad for the Euros are right and the centre backs tommrow are Stones, Maguire, Guehi, two from Dier, Branthwaite, Colwill or Konsa. (I think they will be five in a 30+ squad)

And I would be surprised to see Solanke there but Wharton does feel like a possibility.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jesus Christ! I mean how and what is Southgate looking for in a defender if he’s selecting Dunk over others!

roverman repped this.
  24. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I think it's fairly obvious that Guehi will be the first-choice deputy at centre-back providing he's fit enough. The question for me is what happens if both Stones and Maguire get injured, which given the seasons they'd had is perfectly possible. Don't want Dunk anywhere near contention in that scenario.

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.