UEFA Euro 2024: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I dunno, I think they look much more balanced on the counter, much more assertive. Foden not really knowing what to do on the left does us no favours. I could see Eze or Gordon starting next game.

Toosaul repped this.
  2. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    France are counter attacking with menace. We didn't do that.

Toosaul repped this.
  3. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yeah I’ll agree with Foden. Our team look as balanced as theirs in my opinion.
    Defence was on it, especially guehi. Pickford a rock as always for England.
    Walker still running rings round attackers at age 33.
    Rice is everywhere, reads the game so well. Saka is a menace and Kane is the all time top scorer.

I think French defence have given away a few opportunities tonight, they’re not as calm as people would have you think.

4. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Theyre also affording Austria a lot of possession. Soon as they get the ball, Austria are winning it back. Looks a bit frantic to me at times.

roverman repped this.
  5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I’m not sure either will come straight in after Southgate didn’t see it worthy of subbing Foden off.

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Austria are a much better team than Serbia to be fair.

TorontoCalabria repped this.
  7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    They don't possess a vlahovic or mitrovic which were potentially a far bigger threat than anything Austria have

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  8. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Not to mention Serbia have some really big players which could cause more problems at set pieces for opposition teams.

roverman repped this.
  9. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    #3434 TorontoCalabria, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    This French team is beatable but that more should tell you that the "favourite" tag is a little meaningless to both France and England. Several teams can knock anyone out going forward there is no 2008/2012 Spain here. This reminds me very much of Euro 2004 across the board not that I expect a Greece I think a top team will win it but looking at the top teams and there being a rather open field. Several are good/very good none are out of reach. Deschamp seems a bit cooked to me maybe one tournament too far but then again first games are not that telling.

The most complete team front to back on paper is probably Germany even if people don't rate their CF's they have more than enough. All to play for.

Phillyspur, Iansutton270390 and roverman repped this.
  10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I wouldn't agree with the last bit. Scotland were woeful. We could have scored 6 against them in the friendly last year. Still Germany will go far

11. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    #3436 TorontoCalabria, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    yeah Im not rating them so much on that game just their best 11 and bench but no team is flawless they just have enough in the right positions. same with Spain but again there are no generational teams here it's very open.

To me a complete team has a top manager top goalkeeper top deep midfielder top center back and enough goals collectively in them. France for me lack that midfielder and manager at the moment compared to Germany but they are in the hunt no doubt. I had a Germany France final before the tournament and Im sure that's possible.

roverman repped this.
  12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  13. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    France were very poor but I don’t think this should be cause for satisfaction for England. Their team isn’t that great, their forwards especially barely looked PL level. We should not overrate them, but that doesn’t prevent us from fixing our problems.

roverman repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  15. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    They struggled big time tho, couldn’t get ouf of their half for large spells

roverman repped this.
  16. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    They set out to play on the counter though. It's not like they tried to monopolise possession and failed.

17. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Yeah, in an ideal world he's probably not a lone 6 but I do think he's best used as a defensive mechanism in midfield. He just needs help with those first receiver duties. Would be crazy if Wharton doesn't at least get a run-out in the next couple of games.

18. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Lets for one minute look at the French game if it were us. How would we be commenting on here if we'd won our opening game with an own goal and Kane had gone off with a broken nose.

W.A.S.P., roverman and RobTheFool repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

ChristianSur repped this.
  20. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Exactly!!! Our fan base are far too pessimistic. A win is a win is a win.

roverman repped this.
  21. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    France played how France have successfully played for a good few years now, it would be a surprise if they were particular concerned. They were ultimately the better team and should have scored more than they did. Austria are one of the "best of the rest" teams who've been in good form under Rangnick, wouldn't be surprised if they turnover Netherlands.

Not that England should be over critical either. The attack was definitely suppar as was our attempts at keeping the ball in the second half, but defensively Serbia had the second lowest xG of the tournament, which considering the concerns of the defence and talk of Serbia's attack going into the game is ultimately a good job. Tournaments aren't won by having a flawless first game, England's issues are fixable.

roverman and Gazza66 repped this.
  22. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Kane? It would be Bellingham then.

23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    That's the thing we have two superstar match winners in kane and Bellingham. France only have mbappe. Both teams off course have a top quality supporting cast

24. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Griezzmann is a more tournament proven difference maker than anyone currently in the England squad

25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021