UEFA Euro 2024: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, we won which is the positive but good god I hate Southgateball! Can’t believe how negative the guy is and you get clues in this with his interview after the game, always states how good the opponents which automatically ( for me anyway ) means let’s be cautious and defend well for the rest of the game and feed off scraps when you could see in that first 25 mins we pressed high up, controllled the game and had no problems. Halfway through that first half the attitude changed with the players ( you could see it ) we just dropped deep and invited them into the game and this surely has come from the coaching staff. In a game like this and the way it was going there was no need to do this but I fear Southgate doesn’t learn.

Positive note though was the defence who held up very well against a very physical side and Guehi was superb. Jude was Jude but I hate seeing him in the floor and not instantly get up and go again, seems to take his time to rejoin the group ( not sure if anyone else noticed this? ) Anyway, I’m sure we will improve going forward……

roverman and Khadrim repped this.
  2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think Potterball is pretty similar as well (With the complication that it requires a lot more training) and that’s still the most likely future (Chelsea fans were always moaning about his post match interviews)

I feel like it might be a repeat of the last Euros with no big performance until the knockouts.

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I don’t think anyone likes to remmeber that match. (Nor that tournament as a whole really).

roverman repped this.
  4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just listening to Southgate who said we didn’t preserve our energy enough during the game in that first 25 mins and by the sounds of it ran out of steam which I thought was interesting. I mean I know it’s been a hard season but Germany looked very energetic throughout 90 mins. Is it that realistic that our players shouldn’t be as fit and if that’s the case surely he would have changed things to get fresher players on earlier. I dunno what to make of that interview tbh.

roverman repped this.
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He has admitted he says things for the sake of it in interviews. Stopped watching them because of this. If he thought we were that tired he would have made the changes. I think he is just poor tactically at making the correct adjustments.

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Southgate is our achilles heel. He's terrible at in game management

7. Catenaccio88

Catenaccio88 Member

Cavalry FC
    England
    Sep 23, 2023
    And what about Grealish. England had no real technically gifted players on that left side that they could bring on tonight. Foden was shocking and he didn't replace him, because there was no real options off the bench. Although if Rashford/Grealish had been on the bench, it would of been a great option tonight after half time.

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

9. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Eh, sometimes give opposition credit, Serbia got their tactics right and executed. Well done to them.

Don’t think he got the Trent tactics right, but, Bowen on for Saka worked quite well, fantastic save from a Bowen cross to stop Kane from scoring a well connected header.

Ultimately no point over reading the match. Winning your first game is all important and often the teams who look good first up don’t tend to win it. Not that it can’t be done but it’s rare.

Take the 3, move onto a slightly, slightly easier game physically against Denmark and go from there.

hussar, W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  10. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And yes, shout out to Marc Guehi. Really impressed against 2 top, top class strikers.

We won’t face maybe a better pairing, until the semis and he was great all night under pressure.

hussar, W.A.S.P., M and 2 others repped this.
  11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

12. Catenaccio88

Catenaccio88 Member

Cavalry FC
    England
    Sep 23, 2023
    Throughout my life, England have traditionally drawn or lost their opening game. Before Southgate, the only wins in an opening game I can remember were against Tunisia (France 98) and Paraguay (Germany 06)

roverman repped this.
  13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Foden did NOTHING, and if Southgate plays Alexander-Arnold in midfield again he needs sacking on the spot!

Sometimes instead of playing all your players out of position just to squeeze them in the team you gotta play the best players you have for each position!

lobomojo repped this.
  14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not sure their tactics were right as they still lost the game but we simply let them back into the game when dominating them rather than their tactics letting them back in.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  15. MUFC20

MUFC20 Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was quality

Wendigo7 and roverman repped this.
  16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Huge fan of guehi. Top 4 defender

17. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can see now why the big clubs are after him. Mentality looks excellent at the highest level.

Anyway lads no point bashing ourselves to death, onto Denmark. Go for the 3 points to wrap up the group.

roverman repped this.
  18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  20. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What is it with spelling in here?

Illiterate bastards.

roverman and ChristianSur repped this.
  21. MUFC20

MUFC20 Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really wonder if he starts TAA again. For me, Wharton is a better option with Rice and Bellingham.

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    That has to be how the programme ends really, doesn't it. The last resident of Midsomer gets murdered, so Bergerac spends 45 minutes wandering around an empty village in search of a suspect and finally arrests himself.

thebigman repped this.
  23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I don't have anything to say about the game because my ********ing laptop decided not to let me watch it. Good to see you're all happy though.

roverman repped this.
  24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Didn't play great, but weren't bad by any means.

Always important to never get too high or too low.

Bellingham was superb and he knows he's the best on the pitch.

England will be alright.

Wendigo7 and roverman repped this.
  25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We've won every opening game under Southgate. We never did this once under Hodgson