UEFA Euro 2024: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Apr 24, 2024.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    No, I agree it never worked with Rooney there. It’s just he did play there more in the season before the tournament. Was evident early on that it wasn’t going to help us in the tournament.

2. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
  3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I was just 17 during euro 96

4. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was too young to be allowed in pub, but my dad lied and said I was 14 but just very small for my size.

roverman repped this.
  5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #3030 Fireburn47, Jun 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    I feel like if things go wrong tommrow he might well swap Trent for Mainoo or Gallagher for the Denmark match.

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Phillips is a totally different player than Henderson or Gallagher.

sharpovic, AJ123, Khadrim and 3 others repped this.
  8. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Wharton is the player most like Phillips in this squad.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rip Kevin Campbell

thebigman, SF19, Serengeti_Boy and 6 others repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I was 19 and for me the best and most enjoyable tournament I can remember. The parties we had in the pubs and streets was the best. Really miss not being back in England for tournaments for the atmosphere, really not the same watching abroad unless you live in a big city with a large English population, which unfortunately I don’t.

roverman repped this.
  11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was 11 and the semi final still makes me feel sick

12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Always the optimist

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Gary Neville predicting on ITV that Trent will probably be replaced by Gallagher as the tournament goss on.

He is also very worried about the back four.

14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Gary neville the genius who oversaw our most embarrassing tournament

Gazza66 and Port Vale Fan repped this.
  15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    To be fair the back four is a big question mark. In the absence of Stones it looks pretty inexperienced and an unknown quantity. Personally I agree that any Trent in midfield experiment will fail, although I'd like to see him play RB for us - but Walker is Southgate's new indispensable player.

horrisengleton repped this.
  16. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I could definitely understand playing Gallagher against Serbia or Denmark in the group stages but I think against one of the tournament's best sides it might make us worse defensively. Not that I want Trent in midfield at all, but Gallagher often reacts so badly to a well-coordinated press that he really brings the technical level of the team down and makes it hard to relieve ourselves of pressure.

When we played Brazil, often when they attacked all three of their central midfielders would quickly try and push towards our box and a big part of that I think was that they didn't respect our midfield as an attacking threat outside of the three behind Watkins. Unless you're a really effective counter-attacking threat it can be very counter-productive to try and shut up shop with an overload of defensively-minded players. We're a possession-based team under Southgate and should try to set up like one.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    We’re only on day 2 but I’m getting more and more nervous about our chances. Some impressive displays from both Germany ( ok against a poor Scotland side ) and now Spain. I guess we have to wait to see what sort of dish we serve tomorrow evening but can’t say I’m particularly confident.

18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Trent is a very polarising player. Lots of backlash on social media for Neville saying he wouldn’t want Trent playing in midfield in the later stages. Through a lot really also want Walker dropped and Trent playing right back with Mainoo in midfield. And a lot of Liverpool fans worried the press are setting Trent up to be a scapegoat.

19. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure that has any bearing at all on our chances. Tournaments aren't won or loss in an opening performance as Argentina showed.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Neville embodies that fear-riddled outlook England always had to games against the big teams. His thought-process always revolves around inadequacies. He said before the last tournament that you won't see England having more of the ball against a top side, which is of course what happened against France.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah fair point, think I still have that Iceland game in my head which off course has no bearing on our performances starting tomorrow ( hopefully)

22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

23. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I'm I imagining it or is Bellingham keeping a real low profit since entering the camp?

Port Vale Fan repped this.
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #3049 Fireburn47, Jun 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    Well he has been front page of the papers in his underwear so he hasn’t been that low profile.

But his dad doesn’t allow him to do the press conferences or talk to the written press. (A couple of articles in the last year have mentioned that as a reason why he can’t be captain sime day unless that changes.)

The Sun have yet another personal life story about Kyle Walker to try and give the 2006 remake they desperate for.

25. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Didn't know about not talking to the written press. But haven't seen any type of interview since hes been in camp. He's barely been the England behind the scenes stuff.