UEFA Euro 2024: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #2876 Fireburn47, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    The Athletic saying the squad was surprised by some of Southgate’s selection decisions , such as leaving out Grealish and Maguire. And that those absences as well as the likes of J Henderson, Rashford, Sterling and James has ‘cut deep.’

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Start shaw Sunday we can't afford not to win the opening game. If we've won the first two games then rest him for Slovenia

3. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not sure that starting an unfit Shaw would make us more likely to win.

4. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would be tempted, but rather not risk him if we can help it. We should have enough to beat Serbia comfortably without him.

roverman repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I just fear guehi against mitrovic and vlahovic

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #2881 Marcho Gamgee, Jun 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2024
    If it’s a choice between Shaw or a right back playing at left back who also happens to be in not great form or looks particularly fit then I think I would take a chance on Shaw tbh who would also at least give us more balance. He also needs to get fit and not sure coming on for 20 mins towards the end will help him for the Denmark game.

roverman repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    While it is good to see him fully training the most recent plan for Shaw according to Southgate on Thursday is that he won’t be involved at all on Sunday against Serbia and at best only from the bench against Denmark. It’s very hard to imagine Southgate starting him without giving him a sub appearance first.

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  9. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I'm finding it hard to believe that the absence of a player who has been in one England squad in the past 2 seasons, and indeed last started a club match back in November "cut deep" to anyone in the squad.

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Maybe only because James is close friends with Bellingham and apparently alongside Henderson the main player he used to hang out with. (Walker said that in a video before the 2022 World Cup.)

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Another (unconvincing imo) article on why Trent should be starting in midfield.

What’s more, playing central midfield at international level should be easier than it is in the Premier League. National teams don’t get much time together pre-tournament, so there are fewer teams who press high up the pitch, and more lower blocks. That means central midfielders don’t come under the kind of pressure that they might at club level, so Alexander-Arnold’s forays into midfield from right-back for Liverpool and his few appearances in central midfield for England should have prepared him adequately to play international tournament football in midfield.

I would argue the opposite. How many times have we been killed by pressing in midfield at tournaments.

roverman repped this.
  12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Maybe some were surprised but Im sure they will all sleep well at night and not having sleepless nights about being sad their mate didn’t make the cut. I really wouldn’t pay much attention to these sort of articles that always blow things up for clicks before a tournament.

13. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    If Trent had played any significant minutes as a pure midfielder in PL I’d give these types of articles some credence. I’d agree about the low blocks in qualifiers, but I’d say bottom half PL teams have worse midfields than the teams we will face in the group.

roverman and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Loads of low blocks in games in the PL too.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Our opponents -

16. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    The TAA articles are pretty weird, the key things in a midfield two are basically ability to receive the ball from the defence and retain it, and providing a solid base for the midfield. TAA doesn't help with either of those. Even against Bosnia he kept drifting out to the right, quiet naturally, which he simply cannot do against better teams. Serbia and Denmark are both good sides, they will punish an England side that isn't solid.

Yeah he's a good crosser, and he can hit some nice long passes, but neither of those are things he should really be doing much of in the position he's being mooted for. Maybe in a 4-3-3 there would be more argument he'd get the freedom to drift right and do the kinds of passes he's famous for but a 4-2-3-1 demands that the 2 remain disciplined otherwise you end up with, well, how England looked against Iceland.

So either TAA plays within himself, in which case if you want someone to collect the ball, recycle possession, and protect the back 4, he's probably the least suited to either of those things. Or you let him play more naturally in which case unless Bellingham is sacrificed to a more defensive role, it will lead to an incredibly open midfield that against the best sides will lack any control, and against others will be wide open to counter attacks.

RobTheFool repped this.
  17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I hope he sees sense and plays Wharton

18. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Obviously in an ideal world we’d have both, but if someone gave me a choice between us producing a top Kane/Shearer/Rooney/Owen level striker for the next 10-15 years but the current status quo remaining at the back in that time, or the inverse, no top striker but 2-3 top defenders to emerge, I am choosing the latter all day long.

Whatever happens in this tournament, there needs to be a real focus on scouting and developing proper defenders again and giving that side of the game some TLC. I do feel the way we have prioritised developing more creative, technical attack minded players in the last decade has been a real force for good in terms of our results and I’ve enjoyed watching us much more as well. However, until we start producing a deep pool of elite centre halves again our ceiling will always be capped and we’ll continue to fall short.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-high-spirits-unbelievable-euro-33009522
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-stones-shaw-injury-latest-33009588
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...thgate-stay-insists-Anthony-Gordon-Euros.html
    Some quotes from Anthony Gordon about his thoughts and an update from him on John Stones.

‘But Shaw ended training wearing a green coloured bib to ensure no-one tackled him as he did not take part in full contact work and looks certain to miss the Serbia game.

But Gordon says Shaw is on the “right path” and said: “Yes, he looked like that. He’s back in training now and doing really well. I did a bit of my rehab with him and he was way far ahead of schedule. He was doing great, which is good.’

Shaw not available for the Serbia match it seems.

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Branthwaite colwill Quansah are a good start. I don't think we'll ever produce a plethora of defenders in the same period like we did with rio terry Campbell woodgate King carragher again. I'd take just one of those defenders right now. Midfield is where we've been moaning about. Now we have good ball playing midfielders like mainoo Wharton trent Scott miley etc.

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  22. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Gazza66 repped this.
  23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    4-3-3 would be my best guess for how we'll set up, with Bellingham getting forward from the left a bit more than Trent on the right, and possibly playing a bit narrower too. Although how well that would work with no real width on the left, I don't know.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  24. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Not many countries are producing that level of CB depth tbf. I think between Colwill, Guehi, Chalobah, Branthwaite, Quansah and potentially Harwood-Bellis we have a good chance to be serious contenders for tournaments for the next few years providing we remain strong in other areas. Then there's longer term options like Ashley Phillips, Charlie Hughes and Ronnie Edwards who could potentially be top, top defenders if they hit their ceilings.

I don't see any reason to be worried or pessimistic about our defence yet. I do think Colwill keeping fit is extremely important though. He's the most elite CB prospect we've got imo.

25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think we knew that? Or at least, it'll be a big surprise if he does make it in time for Serbia.

Fireburn47 repped this.