UEFA EURO 2020 - Qualification Thread || Northern Ireland || 8 Oct 2:45 PM EST|| Grbavica

Discussion in 'Bosnia & Herzegovina' started by Bosanski Bomber, Nov 20, 2018.

1. BosanskiRambo

BosanskiRambo Member+

Manchester City
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Jun 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    We lost today because of Visca, he looked so disinterested. For me he was never a good player for the NT, he's just decent for his club and league so he automatically gets a spot in the team. Visca has never done anything for me to justify him being a guaranteed starter. I honestly couldn't name you a good game he has had for the NT.

BosnianGear repped this.
  2. BosanskiRambo

BosanskiRambo Member+

Manchester City
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Jun 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    My man of the match today was Cimirot. The guy was all over the field making runs forward, through the middle and the wings. Provided a great outlet for everyone. Also did the job defensively. I think its time for him to go to a top 5 league somewhere as I think he is ready for the step up. I remember about like 5-6 years ago I made a prediction about what BiH talents would develop into good players, the 3 were, Cimirot, Mihojevic, and Radovac. 2/3 is not bad, glad to see Cimirot doing well.

3. New Era

New Era Member

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Sep 9, 2020
    It's incredible how the BiH coaches don't seem to learn from one another's mistakes. Bajevic played a midfield three of Pjanic, Cimirot and Hadziahmetovic, just as Prosinecki messed up the balance of the team by playing Pjanic, Cimirot and Besic together.

Three defensively-minded midfielders on the pitch at the same time means you have no outlet further up the field. Pjanic has shown time and time again that he is not willing to be a #10: all he wants to do is spray balls from deep-lying positions.

The solution is bloody obvious: replace at least one of the three defensive midfielders with an attacking midfielder. Bajevic did this by default against Italy because Pjanic was not available, so Gojak played behind Dzeko. It worked brilliantly. Why not do it again?

4. Bosanski Bomber

United States
    May 20, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Changes we need to make for the 2022 cycle:

1) Reconstruct the midfield. Playing 3 in the middle with 2 defensive guys either side of Pjanic hasn't worked at all. Prosinecki already did that and it failed so I have no clue why Bajevic just did the same thing with Amir just in for Saric instead. I don't mind it if we're going to have Pjanic take up a deep lying playmaker role, but we need someone to help him carry some of the creative load in the middle. Gojak and Krunic are there precisely for that, so let's stop wasting them on the wing and play them slightly ahead of Pjanic and Cimirot. Would create a link between midfield and attack that we've been missing desperately since Miske retired.

We had the perfect balance in 2014 with the Pjanic, Besic, and Misimovic midfield at the World Cup. Sure, Miske retired after that, but we still had a good base and all we needed was someone to fill that hole. Instead for some reason we changed the entire system and that was to our detriment. Bazdarevic, Prosinecki, and Bajevic didn't have a clue on how to get the best out of this team or set them up properly.

2) Change the wingers. We might be one of the only NTs I've seen that wants to play at major tournaments that doesn't have a single winger who can dribble past a player to save their life. Visca is beyond useless in that aspect and should not start anymore, while on the other wing we almost always play a CM/AM or a CF there instead of an actual winger so can't expect much penetration there either. We finally have some wingers coming through who play a more modern game like Hotic, Hasic, and Catic so utilize them and make them an integral part of our attack. A lot of our offensive and structural problems could still be covered up if we had a player or two who could take men on and get past them. We have that now so there is no excuse to use them.

3) Forwards behind Dzeko. We have guys like Prevljak and Demirovic who fit the modern striker archetype and are doing well in some good leagues but we've been using Djuric and Kodro as our backups for Dzeko in the last 2 campaigns. Hodzic is different, but he can't lead the line either. I don't mind him being there in case we move to a two-striker formation but I don't think that's the answer unless we move to three at the back again. Prevljak and Demirovic can lead the line and they can play alongside Dzeko, they are our best hopes in that position right now and they need to get some proper chances going forward in this team. There really is no excuse not to play them or at least call them over the likes of Djuric anymore.

4) Change the tactical setup. We were successful with the 4-2-3-1 and the 4-4-2 diamond under Susic years ago but then we switched to a flat 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 under his successors and we have been dreadful in those systems. We need another change. One can argue a switch to a 3-4-3/3-5-2 scheme, but I think it's best for us to just go back to the 4-2-3-1 where we could have one deep playmaker (Pjanic), one player who covers a lot of ground defensively (Cimirot), and one advanced playmaker (Gojak/Krunic). It'll give us more balance in every third of the pitch, especially when you use the wingers and forwards previously mentioned to balance things out. But for that to happen...

5) Change the manager and hiring policy. Enough, enough, enough of these old heads from 70s and 80s Yugoslavia. We literally play like a team from those eras and it's not surprising when you see the managers we hire. I'm tired of seeing our FA pull these names out of a hat literally and just hire any guy from those days who hasn't had the job yet. Hire someone who knows what it takes to succeed in the modern game, is aware of current football trends, and can play a progressive style. We have several players who actually do fit today's football, now we just need a manager who does too.

I don't really have anything to add on for GK and defense because we don't really have better options there than what we have at the moment. Only hope is for a guy like Dedic or Gazibegovic to come through but that's it. I would say give a guy like Kadusic or Todorovic a chance at RB otherwise because they'll bring energy if nothing else which could liven us up. The buildup problems will still be there with any CB pairing we have unfortunately, we just don't have the personnel to improve that but we can get away with it with a more well constructed midfield and attack like we did from 2008-2013. But the future is still more promising in defense than it has been for a while so it's still a bright spot for us. Dedic, Gazibegovic, Hadzikadunic, Ahmedhodzic, Sanicanin, we have a decent core there to build on.

I expect maybe 1 or 2 of these changes at most to happen honestly, but this team is not irreparable with the right management. We still have a good base of experienced players and some interesting young ones coming through. We just need someone who can put it all together and set them up in a more balanced, progressive way. Who that someone is and whether NFSBiH will get them remains to be seen. Possibilities would have been greater with the money from the EUROs had we qualified, but we didn't and need to move on asap and look to a better future.

I would also have added 6) Hire a sports psychologist but I barely have any hope we'll even get the right manager in let alone do that so didn't even want to add it in there. But those 5 changes are certainly realistic and feasible at the very least.

Young Zmaj and New Era repped this.
  5. Bosanski Bomber

United States
    May 20, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    A setup we could have had yesterday on the lines of my proposed future changes:

Sehic
    Todorovic Ahmedhodzic Sanicanin Kolasinac
    Pjanic Cimirot
    Hotic Krunic Visca (Milosevic)
    Dzeko

4-2-3-1 with a more advanced playmaker ahead of the middle 2 instead of 3 alongside each other. Would have utilized Krunic better to his strengths in the middle instead of out wide, offered Pjanic some help and forward option to play to, and 2 wingers who could cut in on their dominant foot. That would have given us more space out wide too for the FBs to run into and that's why I put Todorovic over Cipetic there because he's better and quicker getting on the overlap.

With this system, we'd have had more triangles with Krunic dropping deeper at times to link with the CMs and the wingers tucking in for support. Our attack would have had more consistency and stability and better patterns of play which I don't think N. Ireland would have had solutions for. I'm 100% certain we win that game with this approach and quite a few others the last 5 years. It isn't rocket science, it's just an adaptation to modern tactics that our stuck-in-the-past managers aren't capable of making.

New Era repped this.
  6. BosanskiRambo

BosanskiRambo Member+

Manchester City
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Jun 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Reading some of the reaction/fallout from the game last night on different forums and websites... lets just say everyone has their own opinion. The BBC voted Sanicanin as the worst rated player on BiH. I don’t know what game they were watching. I agree with a lot of what bomber said above ^, we need to have a creative outlet, we can’t keep playing with 3 defensive minded players in midfield. Play Gojak in front of pjanic and cimirot, or if you want to go more offensive play krunic and gojak in front of Pjanic. Also I thinks its time we put Visca aside and give some of the younger guys a chance at playing upfront. If that was the last of Dzeko in. NT shirt then its time to integrate guys like Demirovic and Turkes into the team. Play Menalo a true LW on the wing. Maybe have a front 3 of Menalo-Demirovic-Hotic something like that. I think it might be time. What do ya think?

New Era repped this.
  7. Young Zmaj

Young Zmaj Member

Juventus
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 7, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    It’s time for a generation change. World Cup qualifiers begin in March and we’re likely going to be in the 4th pot, so we have almost no chance of qualifying. This is the time where you integrate young players and build your core for the future. I’d say this is the core we should build around:

Ahmedhodžić
    Hadžikadunić
    Demirović
    Hasić
    Dedić
    Gazibegović

There’s a few other potential NT players who are dual nationals that we should pursue, but I consider these players to have the most potential of our young players.

Most of these players have either begun getting senior football playing time this season or have been regularly playing at the senior level already. I’d integrate them into the NT throughout the WC 2022 campaign so by Euro 2024 qualifying, most, if not all, of these players are starters.

————

For now, in the Nations League, it’s important to perform our best to give us a chance at WC 2022 playoffs (2 best NL teams who don’t finish top 2 in WC qualifying groups get a spot in Play-offs). I doubt the players give a shit about Nations League, but it effects our WC 2022 play-off chances and WC 2022 seeding. I’d go with this lineup for those games:

Šehić
    Todorović - Ahmedhodžić - Hadžikadunić - Kola
    Pjanić - Cimirot
    Gojak - Krunić
    Džeko - Demirović

————

As for future manager. It’s very tough to say. We don’t have a big budget and our savez doesn’t care to get a stranac as manager but we need one. The only ex-Yugo managers I’d even consider at this point are Slaven Bilić and Vahid Halilhodžić. The chances of these two ever becoming our managers are extremely slim to none.

Sudžuka repped this.
  8. Khamzat UFC

Khamzat UFC Member

Manchester United
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 9, 2020
    #333 Khamzat UFC, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    I mostly agree with this post

Have signed up just to add this:

Qualifying for World Cup 2022 will be extremely hard considering that we will be drawn into a very tough group as a pot 3 side (We might even be pot 4 who knows).

After the Nations league group finishes Bajevic needs to resign followed by hiring a decent young manager who will be given a mandate to qualify for EURO 2024 with a rebuilt sqaud and at least make a decent showing in the World Cup qualifiers.

Main problem with our NT is that we have no system. We have no matchplay or tactical continuity. Everything is done on a ad-hoc basis. There is no planning. Hiring outdated coaches from the EX-Yu system does nothing.

Playing Cipetic as a right back is an example. Someone like him should never start in an NT game. I don't care if he had a decent fluke 45 minutes against Italy. Having Visca as a right winger is another glaring mistake.

Northern Ireland did their scouting well. They knew that if they attack us through our right side they can exploit a weakness in our team and that if they forced us to play the ball in the right wing they can easily neutralize our attacking moves as Visca is useless when under pressure and man marked.

With the squad we had for these playoffs really we should have played 3-5-2 or 3-6-1. Our current strength lies in our central midfield players. That way we could have stacked our midfield up, have Kolasinac at his best position LWB and use Todorovic who even though sucks in defence is good at overlapping and would have been well suited at RWB position as he has quick legs and a good burst of acceleration.

When it comes to formations I have got to stress that unless Ajdin Hasic, Dino Hotic and Luka Menalo can become decent wingers on the international level we should consider using 3-5-2 as a formation from now on.

I mean it's a no brainer that if football team has a lack of decent attacking wingers they use a formation in which they can utilize their strengths without them. How a 3-5-2 or 3-6-1 was not considered I will never know.

Now back to developing a system I cannot state enough how important this is for a National Team. Iceland are literally a game away from qualifying for their third major tournament in a row. Nobody can tell me that they have better footballers on paper than us. The reason why they are so successful is because they developed a system for their NT that they have stuck with since 2012.

Unfortunately we don't have that. The first place to start is by putting pressure on the Savez through the media and BH Fanaticos. Simply put our fans need to tell them that we are not going to take this bullshit incompetence anymore or games will be boycotted again and the Savez directors will not make a cent.

There needs to be a massive shake up in coaching at all levels. We also need to go after Diaspora talent aggressively. After all now that we have not qualified for Euros there is no excuse in not calling up Armin Gigovic who would be a massive addition to our squad if he meets his future potential.

I have got a lot to say and will add more of my thoughts, our future prospects as and NT and what can we do in future posts...

9. Khamzat UFC

Khamzat UFC Member

Manchester United
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 9, 2020
    Here is a list of 35 players we should have for NT contention by 2022 and most of whom should be starters for their clubs by then:

1. GK Sehic
    2. GK Begovic
    3. GK V Kovacevic

4. RB A Dedic
    5. RB Gazibegovic
    6. CB Hadzikadunic
    7. CB Ahmedhodzic
    8. CB Bicakcic
    9. CB Sanicanin
    10. CB Serbecic
    11. CB Mujakic
    12. CB A Kovacevic
    13. LB Kolasinac
    14. LB Civic
    15. LB Pidro
    16. DM Besic
    17. DM Cimirot
    18. CM Pjanic
    19. CM Gigovic
    20. AM Gojak
    21. AM Krunic
    22. CM Hadziahmetovic
    23. RW A Hasic
    24. RW/LW Hotic
    25. RW Stevanovic
    26. RW Visca
    27. LW H Balic
    28. LW Menalo
    29. AM Hajradinovic
    30. CF Demirovic
    31. CF Prevljak
    32. CF Turkes
    33. CF Koljic
    34. SS A Hodzic

Sudžuka and Young Zmaj repped this.
  10. Bosanski Bomber

United States
    May 20, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    There's also these guys missing from your list:

Danilovic (Nacional)
    Djokanovic (Sarajevo)
    Nukic (Tuzla City)
    Catic (Den Haag)

Not to mention others like Piric, Todorovic, Kadusic, Nastic, Hajrovic, Djuric, and more who can still plug in holes when necessary.

Also, I really think we should try and get Ivan Sunjic to switch to us. 23 year old DM, born in Zenica, plays for Birmingham and ex-Dinamo. Would be a tank of an addition to our midfield and balance out our creative players quite nicely.

There's still plenty of talent to choose from. We just need the right manager and the right structure for these players.

Sudžuka and New Era repped this.
  11. BosanskiRambo

BosanskiRambo Member+

Manchester City
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Jun 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Dusan Bajevic wont be our manager anymore after these two games vs Holland and Poland. Here we go again....

12. Khamzat UFC

Khamzat UFC Member

Manchester United
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 9, 2020
    Out of those players you mentioned I would only add Djokanovic to my list as he has potential to be a good defensive midfielder but the rest of the players you mentioned are meh

Maybe would add Todorovic as he could be a decent RWB or even RB backup in case one of Gazibegovic or Dedic don't meet their potential. However Todorovic needs to establish himself as a first team regular at Hajduk first

and lol at Hajrovic. The guy has raw talent but has been sitting at home for the last year and a half. His career is pretty much over. Which is a shame because when in form he would be a great winger for us. In the small amount of NT games that he played he was far more useful than Visca.

13. Khamzat UFC

Khamzat UFC Member

Manchester United
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 9, 2020
    Was to be expected. Just look at his interviews. The guy does not have the physical or mental capabilities to be manager. Which is a shame because if we had the Bajevic of 10 years ago we would probably be looking forward to the playoff final right now.

I would like to see Adnan Custovic be given the chance as interim coach for our games against Holland & Italy next month.

Just to see what a young face from our current coaching staff is capable off..

14. Young Zmaj

Young Zmaj Member

Juventus
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 7, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    It was expected since he came for the baraž. I’m worried about who will be appointed next.

15. BosanskiRambo

BosanskiRambo Member+

Manchester City
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Jun 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Well according to rumors the next coach will be Serbian apparently. Begic’s reign as president of the savez is about to end and some serb from Banja Luka is set to take his place... he’s Milorad Dodik’s nephew :thumbsdown: we can kiss this team good bye. The only hope in this country was our sports and they manage to take the joy out of that. I wonder if there will be boycotts in BiH regarding this dudes appointment

16. Khamzat UFC

Khamzat UFC Member

Manchester United
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 9, 2020
    Then BH Fanaticos & players need to call for a boycott. I am actually surprised how quiet and passive they have been in the last few years.

Our football has almost hit rock bottom and we have a miniscule chance of qualifying for WC 2022 so I don't see what is there to lose by calling for one?

Especially if the Serbs take control of the NT and use it as a money laundering base & country club for coaching rejects from Serbia proper. The fans & players boycott from 06 to 08 did wonders for our NT. It laid the foundation for us to qualify for World Cup 2014 in Brazil.

We gotta realise that our country has plenty of internal enemies from within. From corrupt bureaucrats to Serb/Croat separatists who want to see the country fail. The only was we can change things for the better is by 'manning up' and showing these people that we are not scared of them and will not stand for their BS anymore.

Young Zmaj and BosanskiRambo repped this.
  17. miske10

miske10 Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Club:
    FK Sarajevo
    #342 miske10, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    One would think that this is a new low but it really is just the result of a decade of bullsh*t.

I know I'm not the only one that sees what's been going on all this time.

We never beat teams that are better than us on paper.

Ever since Susic, the absolute best we have done in individual games is to meet the minimum expectations that we can have for the group of players at our disposal. Yes, on rare occasion, we may choose to play 100% against a random opponent (and perhaps even get a decent result), kind of like a person might wake up one day and feel like wearing a red shirt over a blue shirt--that's the kind of discipline the players and coaches show towards the team and the level of seriousness and respect they have for the national jersey.

We qualified for the 2014 World Cup when we had an amazing group of players, at least for a starting lineup, and were in one of the easiest groups we ever had. We barely qualified--it was on GD--and we accomplished absolutely nothing at the World Cup.

The fundamental change that has to take place is one in which the players treat the team with a new level of seriousness and discipline. This is not possible without a discipline-heavy coach. If the coach, for example, does not treat friendlies seriously, then how can the players? With Susic, friendlies were treated as backyard Sunday games with friends. With Bajevic, he even seems to treat competitive fixtures, e.g., game vs Poland, as friendlies. This is the bullsh*t I'm talking about! Every game has to be a must-win with the best starters. The national team gets a limited number of games throughout the year and every single one must be used to full-effect. You can try new players when one of the starters shows signs that maybe they belong on the bench or when there's an injury.

Instead, what we have is, 'Hey, we're playing Italy, let's play really well against them because they are a big team' and then 'Hey, we're playing Poland, let's play some bullsh*t against them because we are a bullsh*t team that doesn't recognize the very high importance of staying in Nations League A and continuing to test ourselves vs tough opposition.'

The same lack of discipline and seriousness in friendlies--or competitive fixtures in this case--translates directly into big games, like vs Northern Ireland, and we start to feel that it's OK to play on cruise-control when we go up a goal (but it's "OK" we woke up after the equalizer). If we had treated every game as a must-win, the feeling that it's OK to go on cruise-control would be non-existent.

The coaches we have had since 2010 have been old and have had the same level of charisma that a block of wood has. It would be nice if we had Bosnian coaches in the top 5 leagues but we would still face the same problem as we face with Halilhodzic in that he would have to take a well over 50% pay cut to coach our national team.

We don't have the budget to bring in a coach that would be of a higher class than what we have had thus far and it's rare that players that have experience in the top 5 leagues take that knowledge back home. But Misimovic is one exception and I think he's the best we can hope for at this time. With Misimovic we will have to deal with the perpetual issues of inexperience in coaching. However, his many years of Bundesliga experience has the potential of transforming this team and he sure as hell did not come back into the national team for whatever crumbs we're paying him.

Sudžuka repped this.
  18. New Era

New Era Member

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Sep 9, 2020
  19. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    you make some really good points especially regarding the system, right now we don't have a cohesive identity or style in terms of play. In the past, even when we had less talented teams we had a very offensive system with a 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 and players knew what to do when they went on the pitch.

20. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    lol, saw this the other day. gonna be interesting to see what happens next.

21. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Zvjezdan Misimović: Vrijeme je za promjene i to sistemske

Young Zmaj repped this.
  22. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I think i saw the rating your speaking about, if I remember correctly it had Dzeko rated as the best for Bosnia, even though he had a terrible match and contributed very little. Sanicanin, did make a mistake leaving a player open on the goal, but overall played well in the last couple of matches. can't be mad at him, he's done better than expected in imo. rating him as the worst is harsh and incorrect. overall, it was a really bad team performance. we completely let off the foot after the first goal and had several players walking on the pitch for like 60 minutes, but they weren't taken off. pjanic being the best example.

23. Young Zmaj

Young Zmaj Member

Juventus
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Oct 7, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    He’s very in touch with what needs to be done. Especially when it comes to integrating younger players at this point. Sadly, he doesn’t have as much power in the savez as he would need to truly change how things works. I really hope other former players soon join the savez. It’s our only hope of becoming a “normal” national team.